Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

VA Releases Suicide Data by State

https://www.mentalhealth.va.gov/suicide_prevention/Suicide-Prevention-Data.asp

Data on Veteran suicide rates by state and region are now available. These state data sheets are a follow-up to VA’s August 2016 release of a national suicide data report, “Suicide Among Veterans and Other Americans, 2001–2014.” The report was based on research in which VA conducted the Nation’s most comprehensive analysis of Veteran suicide rates in the United States, examining more than 55 million records from 1979 to 2014 in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and the District of Columbia.

“Suicide Among Veterans and Other Americans, 2001–2014” was originally released in August 2016. Findings from that report have been updated in the 2017 version to correct minor inconsistencies. In the original report, some data points included U.S. territories while others excluded them, making the data points inconsistent and therefore not comparable. The 2017 version of the report — see below to view and download — excludes U.S. territories from all data points except in Section V. Results Part 1, due to variations in the availability of National Death Index data for the territories. This is consistent with the aggregate suicide counts and rates for the general population, as published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. These revisions have a minimal statistical impact on the overall report, and all other methods, definitions, and calculations are consistent with the 2016 version.

Individual States and all fifty States are downloadable as PDFs.

GH

• Upvote 2

Mental torment is a huge factor. i spoke with a Vietnam vet last week.

To me, he was quite lucid in his recall and yet what he saw was still

too much to talk about. He was still unable to digest it all after all these years.

He loved his country and what he was willing to discuss, it was obvious he

was an honorable fellow. War often has a pay load for some folks, and it might hit

many years after the deployment, but it does hit and sometimes it is too much

for some fellows to try and digest it all. The drugs many are put on do not take away the pain

of their experience, and the loss they still feel. Many feel the only thing to give them rest is to

let go of life. When I looked into this fellows eyes, i could not imagine what he was keeping to himself

and didn't want to. I just wanted him to know that I cared and we had a great talk. I thought it good

to just listen.

He seemed to enjoy the time and we had some good laughs also. Perhaps he left the scene in a little

better mood, but the mental scars were obvious. He told me he did not like being around people...but he

appeared comfortable in talking with me, and I appreciated that.

Edited by Jim1cor13
  • Upvote 3

Thanks for sharing.  It's sad, but it's  truly happening.  Our veterans deserve 5 star medical care.  Our veterans deserve 5 star spiritual care and our veterans deserve  5 star compassion, love and patience.  Praying for peace to each of our veterans who suffer with the thought of suicide.  

• Upvote 1