Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Prayers Out to Hurricane Harvey Survivors

divemaster5734

I'm thinking there's some folks out there who have only now begun to slow down, look around, and realize they have not only lost everything, but they are too old to start over again.

I know that feeling.

A married couple work for me in the 90's.

She was bookkeeper, he was foreman.

They emptied all bank accounts and ran to Europe.

It took a minute to pick up the pieces after the total (7) bankruptcy.

My kids were robbed of their college funds.

We never did return to the life we knew.

It took several years before I could come to peace with the reality that I had the life God intended.

It was early in the whole thing that was the worst.

Going from successful and well regarded, to a destitute victim.

I considered suicide, all that stopped me was what would happen to the kids.

If I was just a little older then I may not have pulled out.

The only reason I mention this is to qualify the statement that I have a good idea how some of them are feeling right now.

It's the small independent business, the mom and pop market, dry cleaners, construction company, catering, every small business that is equipment dependent is now probably without everything they made sacrifices to purchase.

You wind up paper wealthy and cash poor, at times customers owe tens of thousands, or even millions, and you almost have to finance payroll, or you make payroll, and barely have enough left to buy groceries, and hope someone else that owes finally pays up so maybe you can pay bills next week.

There are people that have worked 120 -140 hours a week for months, who now wont even qualify for unemployment,even though they have paid a million dollars to the department.

Some of those who lost everything are not just ready, some are looking for a way to get it done.

Please, pray for them, it's a deep dark lonely abyss, the anguish and  frustration  are so intense they are experiencing physical symptoms.

Thanks, DM

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Divemaster,

I am truly humbled by your post. I can't imagine going through what you and your family had previously. Somehow you made it ! Thank God for that.

I honestly wish I could go down to the affected areas and help. I know that help will be needed for many years to come. I pray that at a later date I will be able to do do.

What I was able to do was to support someone on a neighborhood app called Nextdoor. I don't even know her but her friend posted that her family is from Corpus Christi as well as other cities affected. She actually headed down there today. Our neighborhood collected 450 pounds of items for her to take. Can you believe the Airlines they flew, Frontier. would not even give them a break on the cost to ship the 450 pounds of donated items. I know that is a relatively small amount considering the devastation, but none the less the items were given from the heart.

We, as a neighborhood community, are going to talk about  perhaps "sponsoring " families going forward  because as I mentioned before, and you know well, the need will continue very long after the waters recede and the news stops reporting.  

I will continue to do what I am able. I believe prayer is very impacting.  That much I am able to do frequently.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm so sorry that you experienced that.

WH

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 9/2/2017 at 10:16 PM, fringe on lamps said:

I have heard some disturbing things about the Red Cross and where donations end up. So it seems "HurricaneHarveyAid.org" is better equipped to actually help hurricane victims. 

I've always donated to local the Salvation Army, they have an 82% ratio, one of the best of any charities.

Other than than that I look up local rescue missions.

The one in Corpus Christie is the Good Samaritan. 

I was able to donate online, here's a link 

http://goodsamcc.org/

They had like 275 people and only 215 beds, don't remember the exact numbers.

Personally, I don't know if something like that happened to me is I would even bother with Red Cross.

There's some gospel mission group online that has connections everywhere, but I havent checked what their donation ratio's are.

Anyone that isn't at least 75% donation into work I won't bother with.

For several red cross was under 1%, all else went to pay the high salaries.

Haven't checked out that aid.org link either.

Guess I'm just leary of any group that can throw a perfect name web site up seconds after a disaster, it took me three years for the first company one..lol

• Upvote 1

On 9/2/2017 at 2:44 PM, wealthhound said:

I honestly wish I could go down to the affected areas and help. I know that help will be needed for many years to come. I pray that at a later date I will be able to do do.

What I was able to do was to support system" rel="">support someone on a neighborhood app called Nextdoor. I don't even know her but her friend posted that her family is from Corpus Christi as well as other cities affected. She actually headed down there today. Our neighborhood collected 450 pounds of items for her to take. Can you believe the Airlines they flew, Frontier. would not even give them a break on the cost to ship the 450 pounds of donated items. I know that is a relatively small amount considering the devastation, but none the less the items were given from the heart.

We, as a neighborhood community, are going to talk about  perhaps "sponsoring " families going forward  because as I mentioned before, and you know well, the need will continue very long after the waters recede and the news stops reporting.  

I will continue to do what I am able. I believe prayer is very impacting.  That much I am able to do frequently.

WH

Thought about that also, but figured unless I dragged the trailer down there so I didn't need a room and could generate my own power, I would just be a burden.

There's a lot of folks with nothing better to do than help each other dig out.

I am not calloused. nor dismissive.

Think what you would be like.

We wouldn't be able to go to work, so what we gonna do all day, sit around and cry into some camera how we lost everything?

I don't think so.

We would have gathered up a cart, hand tools, gloves, and we would have just got to work doing everything we could to stay as busy as possible.

In early 90's there were massive fires where I lives, people died, firefighters died, homes, cars, trucks, pets, horses were lost.

The sheriff came to the door to order the evacuation.

I sent the then wife and kids with all the pictures and moments we could stuff into the big Jeep, then I went and volunteered at the fire command center.

Lots of neighbors showed up, and we fought the fires for a week.

My home was spared, but helped other neighbors sort out theirs.

Everyone did, we had nothing else to do anyway, and sitting around complaining just dont get stuff done.

Actually,  wound up joining the volunteer fire dept because of Fire Storm 91 and helped out until I moved in late 90's.

• Upvote 4

Thanks Divemaster for your ensight, yes lot's to still do here, have 2 family members who lost all of the their furnishings and all we can do is do the labor for them, to relieve that level of stress, because they have no idea what to or where to begin when they first see the devestation, the help, the love and compassion just melts them to tears. And when we send word that they are lots of people praying for them from all over it uplifts their spirit, gives hope and they are able to get through each day one day at a time. And their able to have a few nights of good rest.  So thank you Divemaster for creating this thread.  I would just add, pray for all us volunteers, because we do carry a heavy heart for each individual we help.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, divemaster5734 said:

Thought about that also, but figured unless I dragged the trailer down there so I didn't need a room and could generate my own power, I would just be a burden.

There's a lot of folks with nothing better to do than help each other dig out.

I am not calloused. nor dismissive.

Think what you would be like.

We wouldn't be able to go to work, so what we gonna do all day, sit around and cry into some camera how we lost everything?

I don't think so.

We would have gathered up a cart, hand tools, gloves, and we would have just got to work doing everything we could to stay as busy as possible.

In early 90's there were massive fires where I lives, people died, firefighters died, homes, cars, trucks, pets, horses were lost.

The sheriff came to the door to order the evacuation.

I sent the then wife and kids with all the pictures and moments we could stuff into the big Jeep, then I went and volunteered at the fire command center.

Lots of neighbors showed up, and we fought the fires for a week.

My home was spared, but helped other neighbors sort out theirs.

Everyone did, we had nothing else to do anyway, and sitting around complaining just dont get stuff done.

Actually,  wound up joining the volunteer fire dept because of Fire Storm 91 and helped out until I moved in late 90's.

15 hours ago, patrickgold said:

Thanks Divemaster for your ensight, yes lot's to still do here, have 2 family members who lost all of the their furnishings and all we can do is do the labor for them, to relieve that level of stress, because they have no idea what to or where to begin when they first see the devestation, the help, the love and compassion just melts them to tears. And when we send word that they are lots of people praying for them from all over it uplifts their spirit, gives hope and they are able to get through each day one day at a time. And their able to have a few nights of good rest.  So thank you Divemaster for creating this thread.  I would just add, pray for all us volunteers, because we do carry a heavy heart for each individual we help.

I can't imagine going through anything even remotely near what these folks are going through!

Of course I will keep all of the volunteers in my prayers as well. Please do your best to wear protective gear as you help. Those waters, homes, etc. Have lots of potentially dangerous stuff growing in them. Thank you for helping. 

BLESSINGS! WH. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, patrickgold said:

You bet my friend.

I'm glad to hear you were spared.

Thank you for being there, as so many of us wish we could do more than offer prayer and financial support.

Be Blessed.

• Upvote 2