Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Hurricane Harvey: evacuations under way as storm heads for Texas

umbertino

Yes continue prayers to Texas!

More rain is expected for next 2-3 days,  I really don't know how much more rain they can withstand.  Some of the footage of the devastation of the surrounding areas are saddening.  But Texas unity is awesome.  People from all walks of life are helping each other in some major extreme recues. Boats are pouring in, coast guard,  national guard, neighbors with neighbors, churches and private homes are offering

shelter, are all assisting.  God bless Texas.

• Upvote 2

It was briefed this morning that all 12,000 Texas National Guardsmen have been activated. I pray for the safety of everyone who has been touched by this catastrophic event.  

If you want, you can send so of that water our way.  It was also briefed that currently over 450 Square miles of Montana are actively burning - with a total of almost half a million acres burned so far this year. 

• Upvote 2

Before and after: images show how Hurricane Harvey swamped Houston

Photographs of Houston taken before and after the storm hit the city show how large swathes of the urban landscape were inundated

Anna Livsey

Tuesday 29 August 2017 07.11 BST

2500.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=9ed91b53cb614297085e63a012085ba6
Houston overpass before and after flooding
Composite: Alamy Stock Photos / Reuters

More pics in link

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/29/before-and-after-images-show-how-hurricane-harvey-swamped-houston

Locals ready for worst as Harvey's rising water strains Houston dams

Officials warn thousands of homes may flood as water is released from two Houston dams. Those living in the area hope for the best

Tom Dart in Houston

Wednesday 30 August 2017 07.00 BST

3665.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=2c1fa4c3719a0837cf37d2a903f590c4
Floodwaters
A home is surrounded by floodwaters from Tropical Storm Harvey on Tuesday, Aug. 29, 2017, in Houston. With its flood defenses strained, the crippled city of Houston anxiously watched dams and levees Tuesday to see if they would hold until the rain stops, and meteorologists offered the first reason for hope - a forecast with less than an inch of rain and even a chance for sunshine. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)
Photograph: David J. Phillip/AP

Vid in link

https://www.facebook.com/jarrod.byrd.39/videos/10211597438625330/

This is Kingwood Texas. I hope you can open this video. It's deteriorate much more, this was taken early yesterday. Although you see alot of trees, there are big 2 story homes in there and a high school.  That is the lakes over flow damage.

Lake Houston flows between Kingwood and I,  Kingwood is suffering alot.  I visit here all the time, in fact we've taken Tankdude to a restaurant off Lake Houston...which is no longer there:o I live on the opposite side of lake. No evacuation yet for us, I have power, heard rescue helicopters all night.

Even though the sun shines today, the run off from bayous, creeks and rivers into the lake, (that travels to the Gulf) will be our biggest concerns.  Houston is devestated but the out pouring of unity is a site to see, not only within the community but from across the nation. Tons of volunteers with boats came to the rescue, in fact our neighborhood  help house a staging point for the coast guard.  

Houston Spirit is strong!!! We will recover, rebuild and stay united. 

Yes SnowGlobe7 my sweet Mother is safe! 

Edited by pattyangel
  • Upvote 1

Wow - sorry to hear that Sharky's is gone! I do hope they can rebuild - such a neat little place.

Heard them talking about lake Houston last night on the news and I was praying you guys were doing OK. Glad you mom is safe - and hope all your family and friends make it through this. 

• Upvote 1

Hello DV ! My brother has lost everything over here in Spring Texas. The water was over his house. He has lived there for 28 years and never flooded. Y'all can not believe the utter devistation. We are all ok now and living at my father's house now, all around us was underwater. It's going to be tough with 9 of us, 3 dogs and a kitty cat living in a 1500 sf house. We have food and water and lots of guns and ammo....lots of guns and ammo ! Yesterday the looting started down the street at Best Buy and other stores at the strip center. There was gunfire and now we have lots of police officers and the National Gaurds on site. I also saw lots of military vehicles and Helo's in the air. Yesterday and the day before they were launching boats on i-45 north to do rescue missions....I have to go now but I will return.

13 minutes ago, Texstorm said:

Hello DV ! My brother has lost everything over here in Spring Texas. The water was over his house. He has lived there for 28 years and never flooded. Y'all can not believe the utter devistation. We are all ok now and living at my father's house now, all around us was underwater. It's going to be tough with 9 of us, 3 dogs and a kitty cat living in a 1500 sf house. We have food and water and lots of guns and ammo....lots of guns and ammo ! Yesterday the looting started down the street at Best Buy and other stores at the strip center. There was gunfire and now we have lots of police officers and the National Gaurds on site. I also saw lots of military vehicles and Helo's in the air. Yesterday and the day before they were launching boats on i-45 north to do rescue missions....I have to go now but I will return.

Stay safe! It's gonna suck - but at least your all together...

My son informed me earlier that he and some of his buddy's from Georgia and Louisiana are meeting up with a group in Katy,TX.

I could not think of a better way to use vacation time like he said they are young and strong. 

3 hours ago, Texstorm said:

Texstorm stay safe we are praying for you all.  Let us know if and when we can help.

Thank you nannab ! My brother is working non stop today since to exhaustion. I've worked the same to keep what we got clean. Tomorrow we expect the waters to receed and will start the process of ripping and tearing out of the the bad. I pray for all of us and I wish us all the best.

Houston, take heed from us Katrina survivors. This is what lies ahead of you

New Orleans residents learned some hard lessons about human nature, Mother Nature and politics as usual. But we promise: good news lies ahead

Tuesday 29 August 2017 18.18 BST

By Jed Horne

3500.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=a90415fe0991688cebff658347701cff
Samaritans help push a boat with evacuees to high ground during a rain storm caused by Tropical Storm Harvey.
Photograph: Adrees Latif/Reuters

1 hour ago, umbertino said:

Houston, take heed from us Katrina survivors. This is what lies ahead of you

New Orleans residents learned some hard lessons about human nature, Mother Nature and politics as usual. But we promise: good news lies ahead

Tuesday 29 August 2017 18.18 BST

By Jed Horne

3500.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=a90415fe0991688cebff658347701cff
Samaritans help push a boat with evacuees to high ground during a rain storm caused by Tropical Storm Harvey.

Here comes the negative from the guardian.  The media at its best.  People of Texas are strong ,  we understand the set backs, the heartaches, the recovery process, understand that everything doesn't always runs smoothly, but we understand unity, love and compassion and here and Texas we have that.   The roaches are coming out to turn this event into a bunch of negative. Stirring the pot on every event, topic they can. 

Prayers to all those that have lost loved ones, we all know that one is too many,  lost properties, in decision making in what and how to begin over.  To all businesses in the surrounding areas to get back on their feet. To those who are looking for work.  To our senior citizens for a smooth transition of displacement.  To our leaders in doing their best for their cities and counties.  Blessed Father, you know we will experience despair, and loneliness, give us strength to be kind to one another, to be helpful, to be in your image Lord, to make it through one day at a time.  Do not let the negative set in our hearts, send us your sweet whispers to sooth and comfort us.  In Jesus name, AMEN.

• Upvote 3

On 8/25/2017 at 9:37 AM, moose 57 said:

My cousin is a Charter Captain in Port Mansfield, just talked to him and he said it is 

going to hit just north of him. He has two charter boats, 3 shrimp boats and 2 bay boats 

to batten down. At least my place is 50 miles from the Gulf!

Thanks for the update umbertino!

Image may contain: sky, cloud, outdoor and water

He was lucky!!!

h.a.n.d.

• Upvote 2

Harvey aid: White House to ask Congress for initial $5.9bn

Emergency package likely to be followed by further requests that could exceed $110bn for victims of Katrina

Rory Carroll in Houston, Tom Dart in Crosby and David Smith in Washington

Friday 1 September 2017 08.44 BST

5079.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=d2c4e20877861026e8c8f421b8fec77a
Harvey devastation: the flood-swollen Burnet Bay along the Houston Ship Channel in Texas.
Photograph: Tom Fox/AP

Vid  in link

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/sep/01/harvey-aid-white-house-congress-emergency-package

Insurance industry prices warming into Hurricane Harvey cost

Because US infrastructure is not built to withstand climate change the cost of the disaster will be relatively high

Fiona Harvey and Jonathan Watts

Friday 1 September 2017 18.51 BST

4784.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=a38e04d3f192d48e411e336b963a4c2e
Motorists watch as flood waters from the Guadalupe river spill over a Texas highway.
Photograph: Eric ***/AP

It's tough reading about it, it's tough seeing the many who are suffering.  So many lost their homes, their property, lives, and some still missing.  

The clean up just brings heartache, to see their personal items destroyed.  Today I gathered supplies for 2 love ones who lost everything and now we began the clean up, the tossing of their personal memories destroyed, furniture tossed on the curb, tearing down walls, pulling sheet rock...really brought tears to me, to see the pain on their physical being, Their words to me "God shines on Texas, God shines on our family.  We're safe and now we pray for those who are torn." This will be a long recovery process.

• Upvote 1

'We don't have anything': landlords demand rent on flooded Houston homes

Displaced families say they are struggling to pay rent on damaged dwellings, as an acute housing crisis grips south-east Texas after Hurricane Harvey

Oliver Milman in Houston

Monday 4 September 2017 17.36 BST

3500.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=24f9b9aee595e3e3c6faee2f877fcd33
Submerged houses in Houston after tropical storm Harvey.

More pics & 1 vid in link