Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Cell Phones & Refueling - PSA

Markinsa

When it is not windy and hot outside,  you can smell the gas in the air, these are really good conditions for a fire or explosion.  I see people talking on their cells phones all the time at the gas pump and will ask them to turn off their phone. This type of occurrence is rare, but the question you have to ask yourself is:  "Do I want to be the lotto winner today?"  The simple solution is to turn off your phone and put out the cigarette before you get to the pump.

• Upvote 2

GAS STATION EXPLOSION 

Shocking moment car EXPLODES at petrol station while being filled up with fuel killing one woman and injuring three

Police in Brazil have now launched an investigation into the cause of the deadly accident

By Janet Tappin Coelho in Brazil
9th April 2017, 11:22 pm

Updated: 10th April 2017, 11:23 am

THIS is the shocking moment a car explodes as it’s being filled up at a petrol station in Rio de Janeiro killing one woman and injuring three others.

The horrific tragedy, captured on security cameras, shows the driver of the vehicle standing beside his silver VW SpaceFox as the car fills up with CNG gas on Saturday night around 9.30pm.

The wreckage left after the deadly petrol station blast

The wreckage left after the deadly petrol station blast

Another car at the scene of the tragedy

Another car at the scene of the tragedy

The moment the car explodes killing the passenger inside

The moment the car explodes killing the passenger inside

The driver is thrown clear of the vehicle (right of pic)

The driver is thrown clear of the vehicle (right of pic)

Jorge Siqueira de Souza, 45, appears to be chatting to the woman in the passenger seat, identified as Erica de Lima Thiengo Siqueira, 27, when the car erupts.

She died instantly in the ferocious blast in the Sao Goncalo neighbourhood

Moments earlier, a garage attendant, in a long apron, moves away to attend to another car on the opposite side of the pumps.

He leaves the gas lead in Mr de Souza’s car to continue filling up, as is normal on Brazilian petrol forecourts.

There seems no way anybody in the car could have survived

There seems no way anybody in the car could have survived

The devastation caused by the massive gas blast

The devastation caused by the massive gas blast

A gas station worker can be seen diving to safety in front of car on left

A gas station worker can be seen diving to safety in front of car on left

Then without warning the car combusts completely destroying the vehicle and causing extensive damage to the station’s roof.

Cameras show Mr de Souza being flung across the forecourt to the ground and lying on the floor motionless.

He suffered serious injuries and is in intensive care at the Alberto Torres State Hospital, in the same neighbourhood.

Two others caught up in the blast were released after receiving medical attention for minor injuries.

According to Rio fire department, the car was being filled up with natural gas when it appears a build-up of pressure inside the gas cylinder caused the car to explode.

They said the woman inside the vehicle at the time was in contravention to Rio’s municipal laws which state CNG should only be supplied when all passengers and the driver are outside the vehicle.

Talita Albertina who lives in the area heard the huge explosion.

She said: “I was at a baby shower at my neighbours around 9 to 9.30pm when I heard this massive noise. I thought it was very strange and thought it could be a road accident.

“Then my friend said it must have come from the petrol station.

Blood at the scene of the forecourt tragedy

Blood at the scene of the forecourt tragedy

Emergency crews were quick on the scene

Emergency crews were quick on the scene

The gas pump was left unattended as it filled the car

The gas pump was left unattended as it filled the car

“We ran to see what had happened and other people from a nearby pub came running too. When we arrived we found one guy on the floor covered in blood, it was a terrible sight. I couldn’t look because I started to feel ill.

“There was another woman who was injured. My neighbour was also there. He was in the car behind and had head injuries. Luckily his injuries weren’t that serious.

“The ambulance and fire engines arrived really quickly and my neighbour was attended to by paramedics. His wife was with him in the car. She wasn’t injured but she was in a terrible state of shock.”

An investigation has been launched into the cause of the accident.

• Upvote 1