Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

How old is Grandpa...

moose 57

"HOW OLD IS GRANDPA?"

This may surprise some of you youngsters, but it is quite factual.
 Stay with this -- the answer is at the end.

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandfather about current events.

The grandson asked his grandfather what he thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general..

The Grandfather replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born before: 
' television 
' penicillin 
' polio shots 
' frozen foods 
' Xerox 
' contact lenses 
' Frisbees and 
' the pill

There were no: 
' credit cards 
' laser beams or 
' ball-point pens

Man had not invented : 
' pantyhose 
' air conditioners 
' dishwashers 
' clothes dryers 
' and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and
' space travel was only in Flash Gordon books.

·         Your Grandmother and I got married first,... and then lived together..
·         Every family had a father and a mother.
·         Until I was 25, I called every woman older than me, "mam".
·         And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, "Sir."

·         We were before ***-rights, computer-dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy.
·         Our lives were governed by the Bible, good judgment, and common sense.

·         We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.
·         Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.
·         We thought fast food was eating half a biscuit while running to catch the school bus.

·         Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.
·         Draft dodgers were those who closed front doors as the evening breeze started.
·         Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.

·         We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.

·         We listened to Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.
·         And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.

·         If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk the term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.
·         Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.

·         We had 5 &10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.
·         Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.

·         And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.
·         You could buy a new Ford Coupe for $600, ... but who could afford one? Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.

In my day: 
' "grass" was mowed, 
' "coke" was a cold drink, 
' "pot" was something your mother cooked in and 
' "rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby. 

' "Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office, 
' "chip" meant a piece of wood, 
' "hardware" was found in a hardware store and 
' "software" wasn't even a word.

And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby. No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap or from the archives. 
How old do you think I am?

This man would be only 70 years old today.  

GIVES YOU SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT.

h.a.n.d.

Edited by moose 57
  • Upvote 7

I remember my younger years and sending summers with my Great Grandparents.....Now that was indeed learning to grow up and it was great. I split wood, broke coal and brought it in side to stoke the parlor stove and had plenty for the morning for the kitchen stove. Way back than that was the heat for the house, for cooking as well as the hot water heater......It was cold. You took rocks to bed that had been warmed by the stove in the living room for heat.

I needed a bladder of white stuff with this yellowish liquid until it turned yellow and that was called butter. Breakfast was torn up white bread and some milk and as a treat once it a while We had Sorghum.....Really cheap Molasses.

Pumped water from a well, played in the irrigation ditch where I floated my hand build wooden boats I built from scraps from the wood shed.

At sunset what was then Dusk we sat in rockers on the back porch and watched 100o's of bats take flight out of the eves of that house and those around.

As a special treat we would all get in my Great Grandfather's Plymouth Cranbrook.........Way low tires and all. But he drove down town to the local Corner Store, had a fountain drink mixed by a guy behind the counter with so many Chrome bins of awesome treats......I learned to love Iron Ports and still do today. I still love the smell of a coal fire and it takes me back to a happy place.

I will say this.....I would,'t have traded my younger years for anything today.

A few years ago I happened to meet someone with the same last name as my Great Grandparents and low and behold we are related......That Corner Store was owned by my Great Grandfathers Brother and the guy I met was his Great Grand Son......We were the same age there abouts so maybe way back then we sat at the same Soda Fountain and had Iron Ports or whatever made by his father/My Great Uncle I suppose.

Hell, I love the way I grew up and in a way I still live it today...I learned Trust, Respect, A Man's Word used to mean his life and reputation. You helped a neighbor plant his fields and dig his potatoes later......4-5 you packed and 1 you quarter for re planting the field.

Karsten

• Upvote 3

Just now, fringe on lamps said:

Karsten - thank you. Made me cry.

I didn't mean to make anyone cry but more so.....some of us that are still around today lived and grew up that way and I am only 61 or so they tell me....Here if this Dinar deal comes through I need a Polaris Slingshot to sit be side a couple Corvettes.

My Great Grandfather and my Grand Father....They taught me well.........

Karsten