Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Ben Carson, tasked with helping the poor, believes poverty is 'a state of mind'

Experts decry comments as latest example he is unfit to lead department of housing and urban development, targeted for $6.2bn in cuts in Trump’s budget

Alastair Gee

Thursday 25 May 2017 15.17 BST

3000.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=bb9448158d7f59d641c840fd54af62cc
Ben Carson said during the interview with Sirius XM radio: ‘You take somebody with the wrong mindset, you can give them everything in the world, they’ll work their way back down to the bottom.’
Photograph: Larry French/Getty Images for SiriusXM

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/25/ben-carson-poverty-state-of-mind

• Upvote 1

Amen Ben! Look at those who have left the slums and obtained a great education and are productive and responsible. And the ones who have gotten food stamps etc etc remain in their situation and propagate the same mentality. And have the same opportunities. More worried about being cool, getting rich quick and living some Hollywood dream over work and application.

• Upvote 4

Poverty is a state of mind.  I believe I have heard Dr Thomas Sowell say the same thing several times.  Being from the slums of Harlem, I believe the good Dr know of what he speaks.  Or as Tommy Castro sang, “I may be broke, but I’m not broken”.  But if Ben Carson says something to the effect, the 100% never Trumpers come unglued.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Shabibilicious said:

When Dr Ben insists the pyramids are just ancient grain bins........who am I to question his superior brain surgeon intelligence?  :shrug:

GO RV, then BV

Fortunately, you don't have to question his superior brain surgeon intelligence. But all other areas of intelligence are open for debate. I know many one dimensional geniuses that have a difficult time walking and chewing gum at the same time. We specialize....it's what we do. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/26/2017 at 2:04 PM, adhoc10 said:

Fortunately, you don't have to question his superior brain surgeon intelligence. But all other areas of intelligence are open for debate. I know many one dimensional geniuses that have a difficult time walking and chewing gum at the same time. We specialize....it's what we do. 

So what you're saying is.....he should stick to what he knows, that being brain matter?  :huh:

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Shabibilicious said:

So what you're saying is.....he should stick to what he knows, that being brain matter?  :huh:

GO RV, then BV

Can't say he should stick to fixing brains since I don't know his actual record on fixing brains. It may be that he is just getting by on his title and a reputation as a brain surgeon.  On topics after that, what he says should only carry the weight of an opinion, equal to anyone else's opinion, that would be open to question and debate.