Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Delta - From Iraqi TV !

DinarThug

Update From Delta Watching Iraqi TV From From The Blue Sofa !

Ever Seen A Blue Couch Potato ...

:D   :D   :D

URGENT FROM IRAQI TV:

ABADI: NEXT FEW DAYS DECLARATION OF THE FINAL VICTORY

000041medium_gif

DELTA

• Upvote 3

I'm stupid. The article is all over the news section. Didn't sleep well. The tornado that hit Elk City last night kept me up watching for it. Gonna be a long day. I feel bad for those people. We had one hit my street last year. Nobody got killed and they got new houses! 

• Upvote 2

On 5/15/2017 at 7:05 PM, DinarThug said:

Update From Delta Watching Iraqi TV From From The Blue Sofa !

URGENT FROM IRAQI TV:

ABADI: NEXT FEW DAYS DECLARATION OF THE FINAL VICTORY

DELTA

Their TV must be like ours...a lot of re-runs !!! :facepalm1::confused2:

2 hours ago, gregp said:

I'm stupid. The article is all over the news section. Didn't sleep well. The tornado that hit Elk City last night kept me up watching for it. Gonna be a long day. I feel bad for those people. We had one hit my street last year. Nobody got killed and they got new houses! 

Hey Gregp, that was a bad one. I hope all is well for you.

• Upvote 1

:cheesehead:

:D   :D   :D

13 hours ago, DinarThug said:

CNN. Broadcasting From A Liquor Cabinet Meeting While Starting The Early Celebrations !

http://www.almaalomah.com/2017.....17/158618/

Abadi's "information": We will establish an official and popular celebrations after the announcement of a major release of Mosul 

The prime minister promised Haider al-Abadi, the establishment of a major official and popular celebrations if the final declaration of victory over the organization of "Daesh" criminal in the liberation of the entire city of Mosul and the expected announcement before the holy month of Ramadan.

Ebadi said in a statement to the reporter / information /, on the sidelines of the weekly conference yesterday evening, he said that "victory the expeditious entire city of Mosul and liberation represents the final stage of salvation from the remnants of Daesh criminal and what remains, it will need very little time and effort less."

Abadi said, "The government will prepare a special program to mark the occasion and will be an official and popular where all official and popular institutions in all Iraqi provinces contribute to the celebration and thus these celebrations will accelerate to speed up the rest of the organization less time."

On 5/17/2017 at 6:02 AM, gregp said:

Hey greg...keep me in the loop if ya all need anything down there!

1 hour ago, SnowGlobe7 said:

Hey greg...keep me in the loop if ya all need anything down there!

Thanks!  We just got out of the cellar. The wife got hot. 

That cloud was wicked. Headed for you now. If y'all have troubles with the storm let me know. In Bristow. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/17/2017 at 6:02 AM, gregp said:

Ever heard about the 1978 tornado outbreak, the day of the killer tornados. Lived near there at the time. 

7 hours ago, Theseus said:

Ever heard about the 1978 tornado outbreak, the day of the killer tornados. Lived near there at the time. 

No, but I looked it up. Crazy!!!

1Most severe tornado damage; see Fujita scale

The 1978 Bossier City tornado outbreak was an outbreak of 11 tornadoes that occurred during the early morning hours of December 3, 1978, in Louisiana and Arkansas. The outbreak produced several significant (F2–F5) tornadoes, several of which were long tracked. The first and most destructive of the tornadoes was a violent F4 tornado touched down on the eastern bank of the Red River in Bossier City, Louisiana, at approximately 1:50 a.m. CST. The tornado produced a path up to .5 miles (0.8 km) wide and nearly 4 miles (6.4 km) long through the heart of Bossier City. The only two deaths to occur in Bossier City were two young girls who were killed when a car was thrown through their bedroom wall. The Bossier City tornado became the fifth tornado in American history to produce at least $100 million (non-adjusted) in damage.[1]

Meteorological synopsisEdit

On Monday, November 27, 1978, a cold frontmoved through Northwest Louisiana. By Friday, December 1, a positively tilted trough was present in the upper atmosphere from the High Plains to the Desert Southwest. This allowed Gulf moisture to return to the lower part of the atmosphere Friday night. The placement of the upper atmospheric trough allowed very little movement of the associated front from Thursday to Saturday. At this time, the front stretched over north Texas, Southern Missouri, Southwestern Arkansas, and Southeast Oklahoma. This front was unusually strong for the month of December, and placed the Shreveport area under the right exit region of a strong jet stream. The strong synoptic-scalelifting was favorable to thunderstorm formation. Also at this time, a low pressure system had developed over Northeast Texas. This caused increased low-level wind shear that enabled the development of thunderstorms. Meanwhile, a warm temperature plume, or inversion, at the 850-millibar geopotential height allowed low-level instability to increase. CAPE thus soared to 2,179 j/kg on December 2, the evening before the outbreak began.[2

• Upvote 2

Sorry I meant 1974. I was living near Xenia, Ohio at the time. Here is the article:

https://www.weather.gov/iln/19740403

And everyone thinks they should worry about Oklahoma and Kansas for killer tornadoes.

The Super Outbreak of April 3-4, 1974

Weather.gov > Wilmington, OH > The Super Outbreak of April 3-4, 1974

header.png

Observations | Local/National Analysis | Aerial Damage Photos | Ground Damage Photos

The April 3-4, 1974 Super Outbreak affected 13 states across the eastern United States, from the Great Lakes region all the way to the Deep South. In all, 148 tornadoes were documented from this event, of which 95 were rated F2 or stronger on the Fujita scale and 30 were F4 or F5. Aside from all the castastrophic damage they left behind, the tornadoes resulted in 
fujita_bigmap_t.png
Detailed Super Outbreak tornado path and intensity analysis, hand drawn by Dr. T. Theodore Fujita of University of Chicago. (click for high-res version)
335 deaths and more than 6000 injuries.

Some of the strongest tornadoes from this outbreak occurred right here in the Ohio Valley. Dozens of tornadoes struck Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky, resulting in 159 deaths, over 4000 injuries, and hundreds of millions of dollars in property damage. Two violent F5 tornadoes destroyed much of Xenia and Sayler Park (a western suburb of Cincinnati) in Ohio. Resulting in 34 deaths, the Xenia tornado was the deadliest of all tornadoes from this outbreak and remains among the top 10 costliest U.S. tornadoes on record (approximately $250 million in 1974). Several other strong F2 to F4 tornadoes also touched down during the Super Outbreak across southeast Indiana, northern Kentucky, and southwest Ohio, an area that today encompasses NWS Wilmington, Ohio's warning area.

National Weather Service office boundaries and technology were quite different back in 1974. The Weather Service Office (WSO) in Cincinnati served the greater Cincinnati Tri-State area while WSO Dayton was responsible for the Miami Valley and west-central Ohio. In those days, not every NWS office was equipped with a radar. A WSR-57 (Weather Surveillance Radar - 1957) was installed at WSO Cincinnati in 1960, giving NWS meteorologists coarse reflectivity data but no velocity data, which made it extremely difficult to detect tornadoes. Storms on the radar screen were traced onto thin paper maps, and meteorologists heavily relied on the manifestation of hook echoes as well as spotter reports when issuing tornado warnings. WSO Dayton did not have a radar of its own but utilized a facsimile machine tied into Cincinnati's WSR-57 (also known by its identifier, CVG) display.

When the CVG radar displayed hook echoes and other impressive storm features outside WSO Cincinnati's warning area on April 3, meteorologists there made calls to the appropriate neighboring offices. At one point, the CVG radar screen displayed five distinct hook echoes--more than
xenia.png
A massive F5 tornado bears down on Xenia. Photo taken from the Greene Memorial Hospital by Fred Stewart.
 meteorologists there had ever seen before. Shortly after 4:30 PM, a call was made by WSO Cincinnati to WSO Dayton to ensure they had seen the hook echoes, of which one was quickly approching Xenia. In fact, the National Weather Service in Dayton had already issued a tornado warning for Montgomery and Greene counties around 4:10 PM (in effect until 5:00 PM), based on radar indication of a possible tornado 25 miles northeast of Cincinnati moving northeastward. The tornado touched down about 4:33 PM near Lower Bellbrook Road, flattened much of the Windsor Park and Arrowhead subdivisions minutes later, and then roared into central Xenia around 4:40 PM. In the following months, careful analysis of all the damage led Dr. Fujita and other experts to determine that the Xenia tornado was in fact the worst of all the 148 Super Outbreak tornadoes.

About an hour after the Xenia tornado, another violent F5 tornado took aim at the western suburbs of Cincinnati. The only tri-state twister of the Super Outbreak, this tornado originated near Rising Sun in Indiana around 5:30 PM, passed through Kentucky, and then crossed the Ohio River 
bridgetown_t.png
A view of the Sayler Park tornado as it moved through the Bridgetown area. Photo taken by Frank Altenau.
to inflict severe damage in Sayler Park and other neighborhoods west of Cincinnati. This tornado was witnessed by many, including by those at the Greater Cincinnati International Airport and WSO Cincinnati, which had issued a tornado warning at 4:45 PM (in effect until 5:45 PM). Then at 5:40 PM, the power went out at WSO Cincinnati, resulting in a loss of radar, teletype, and most means of communication. While the power was out for the next three hours, the NWS in Cincinnati had some backup radar imagery available from the Air Force and FAA and had the NWS in Cleveland issue warnings for them. Fortunately, most of the worst tornadoes had already occurred before the power went down, but the need for emergency power backup at National Weather Service offices was recognized following this event.

In the aftermath of this horrific event, many lessons were learned that have since been applied by various government agencies to mitigate hazards in subsequent severe weather outbreaks. Improvements in communications, warning systems, emergency preparedness, and forecast techniques and equipment have been implemented since the Super Outbreak, with the end result being increased lead times for warnings, more accurate forecasts of events, greater public awareness, and more reliable communications.

newspaper_1t.jpg
The Cincinnati Post
April 4, 1974; Front Page
newspaper_2t.jpg
The Cincinnati Post
April 4, 1974; Page 15
newspaper_4t.jpg
The Kentucky Post
April 4, 1974; Front Page
newspaper_3t.jpg
The Cincinnati Post
April 6, 1974; Page 41

FujitaLetter.png
Letter from Dr. T. Fujita to
the MIC of WSO Cincinnati
Fujita_map_t.png
Preliminary Super Outbreak
map hand drawn by Fujita
FujitaStats.png
Super Outbreak tornado
stats compiled by Fujita
FujitaSurvey.png
Fujita's Super Outbreak
questionnaire form

Metsch.png
Weather observer's brush
with the Sayler Park tornado
watches_t.png
Total area covered by
watches on April 3-4, 1974
TOR_t.png
April 3-4, 1974 tornado
warnings by county
Fujita_scales.png
Comparison of Fujita Scale
and Enhanced Fujita Scale

xenia_aerial_t.png
Courtesy of the Ohio Historical Society, from their Ohio Memory collection.
plaque.jpg
Plaque honoring those
killed in the Xenia tornado
(photo by Brian Coniglio)

A 1978 documentary of the Super Outbreak, showing actual footage of tornadoes as they
struck Xenia, Cincinnati, and Louisville, causing massive damage and numerous deaths.
Edited by Theseus