Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Fox News Fires Bill O’Reilly Amid Sexual Harassment Storm

bostonangler

Fox News Fires Bill O’Reilly Amid Sexual Harassment Storm

9424f7a0-b2ba-11e5-9973-4bedbed702ba_0fcVariety 17 minutes ago

1071f15beced25c2a116621883aba8a5 [Photo via Newscom] In a shocking reversal of fortune for one of the most prominent voices in TV news, Bill O’Reilly has been ousted from Fox News Channel amid the firestorm over sexual harassment allegations leveled against the host in recent years.

Parent company 21st Century Fox said Wednesday: “After a thorough and careful review of the allegations, the Company and Bill O’Reilly have agreed that Bill O’Reilly will not be returning to the Fox News Channel.”

The decision to turn O’Reilly loose appears to have been made between Tuesday and Wednesday by the Murdochs, the family who control the operations of Fox News parent 21st Century Fox. O’Reilly has been off the air since last Wednesday, part of what was billed a planned vacation around the Easter holiday. He had initially planned to return to his 8 p.m. show “The O’Reilly Factor” on April 24. But as outrage mounted and new allegations of inappropriate behavior surfaced, it became clear to the Murdochs and other leaders of Fox News parent company 21st Century Fox that the company could no longer afford to back the star who helped bring Fox News to prominence nearly 20 years ago.

O’Reilly has been enmeshed in controversy since the start of this month after The New York Times reported that five women have received payments coming to about $13 million in exchange for agreeing not to pursue litigation or speak about accusations related to sexual harassment or inappropriate behavior. O’Reilly has denied the allegations and said he entered into settlements to spare his family. O’Reilly’s attorney said Tuesday that the host was the target of a “smear campaign” funded by far-left advocacy groups.

As the controversy snowballed Dozens of advertisers have yanked their commercials from his program and insisted they run elsewhere in Fox News’ programming schedule. Producers have had to prepare for eight to ten minutes of additional content each night on the network’s “Factor” to make up for the migrating ad time.

The O’Reilly controversy surfaced as Fox News Channel and its parent continue to grapple with legal matters related to last year’s departure of Roger Ailes, the network’s founder and former CEO. He was ousted in 2016 in the wake of an internal investigation into sexual harassment allegations levied at him by Gretchen Carlson, a former Fox News anchor. The probe by the law firm of Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton and Garrison, turned up other accusations, all of which Ailes denied. Fox had to bring in the law firm again after a former female Fox contributor made a new allegation via a corporate hotline put in place to give employees a way to make intolerable workplace conditions known.

The anchor’s departure may solve one problem, but it will raise another. “The O’Reilly Factor” is the linchpin of the Fox News primetime lineup, and has delivered between 3 million and 4 million viewers each night. A new anchor might not generate that type of viewership, leaving Fox News to find new ways to meet ratings guarantees it has made to advertisers. The network will also want to determine how to maintain audience consistency for the rest of its lineup, which includes Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity.

FOXNEWS in a death Spiral...

B/A

• Upvote 3

I think once folks finally found out who the real Bill was, it was only a matter of time.

He is a smart guy who did stupid things, and his ego finally nailed him. It is a human thing.

What I found odd was that when news broke of the mounting accusations, his viewership

actually went up :lol:  Maybe it was just curiosity or few care about ones treatment towards others,

as long as they hear what they want to hear.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Jim1cor13 said:

He is a smart guy who did stupid things, and his ego finally nailed him. It is a human thing.

What I found odd was that when news broke of the mounting accusations, his viewership

actually went up :lol: .

Yup his ego made him think he was above all.... Wrong!

Viewership is like the rubberneck effect... People loving watching a wreck and it's aftermath.

I'm guessing CNN must be celebrating big time. A lot of ad dollars will be moving in their direction.

B/A

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Sad, so very sad that a man who did so much for the Conservative position in America would dare to think, let alone act upon, the worst and lowest base thoughts/actions of sexual harassment. He can't dis WJC anymore. He deserves what he gets, as do all (men and women) who abuse their position to stroke their egos and satisfy their sexual desires. Waters may be able to file Bill's spot.

• Upvote 2

Tucker's tactics are laughable.  He bates his guests with loaded questions delivered with an impish hint of innocence....then smugly huffs and puffs at their answers.  He's a hack at best....He's a perfect fit for a prime time Fox News spot.  Plus he's only in his late 40's.....so his "dirty old man" credentials are still years into the future.    

GO RV, then BV  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Shabibilicious said:

Tucker's tactics are laughable.  He bates his guests with loaded questions delivered with an impish hint of innocence....then smugly huffs and puffs at their answers.  He's a hack at best....He's a perfect fit for a prime time Fox News spot.  Plus he's only in his late 40's.....so his "dirty old man" credentials are still years into the future.    

GO RV, then BV  

I think you are giving him too much credit.

B/A

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

GO RV, then BV  

7 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

What can I say.....I like to give everybody the benefit of the doubt.  :lol:

GO RV, then BV

My opinion is you have pretty much judged him already. 

• Upvote 4

The beginning of the end to FOXNEWS.... Ratings show their core audience is white males over 50. These guys are not offended by harassment and/or old world jokes. The advertisers on the other hand have spoken. This program was responsible for over 400 million per year in ad dollars. Those dollars have left. FOXNEWS will now try to appease the advertisers which is the exact opposite view their core audience likes. So as FOXNEWS changes it's look and approach, their core audience will begin to bail. FOXNEWS is between a rock and a hard place. They cannot be racist, chauvinistic old white guys and still get the ad dollars and they won't get the ad dollars when their audience number decrease. Their business model has run it's course.

B/A

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Shabibilicious said:

GO RV, then BV  

Doh, I think you are giving Tucker Carlson an endorsement. :twothumbs:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bostonangler said:

The beginning of the end to FOXNEWS.... Ratings show their core audience is white males over 50. These guys are not offended by harassment and/or old world jokes. The advertisers on the other hand have spoken. This program was responsible for over 400 million per year in ad dollars. Those dollars have left. FOXNEWS will now try to appease the advertisers which is the exact opposite view their core audience likes. So as FOXNEWS changes it's look and approach, their core audience will begin to bail. FOXNEWS is between a rock and a hard place. They cannot be racist, chauvinistic old white guys and still get the ad dollars and they won't get the ad dollars when their audience number decrease. Their business model has run it's course.

B/A

Wow. What an assumption. Painting a very large group with one stroke of the brush. I don't watch Fox news by the way.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, nstoolman1 said:

Wow. What an assumption. Painting a very large group with one stroke of the brush. I don't watch Fox news by the way.

Not really, that is according to Nielsen Rating service and also by TV Essentials... These are the rating services that ad agencies use to find their demos and purchase advertising. FOXNEWS skews older white males...

That's how it works. I've been in the business since the 80s.

B/A

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, Shabibilicious said:

GO RV, then BV  

I agree I watched him last nite I don't think I'm gonna like him he's too cocky to his guest for 1 if your not on his side then your on the outside (attack mode on) is what I got out of it.

+1

• Upvote 3