bigwave

7th-grader's science project finds cancer-fighting chemicals in green tea

3 posts in this topic

screen-shot-2017-04-17-at-11-23-40-am.png

Stephen Litt has been conducting science experiments since he was in first grade. Every year, the projects became more and more complicated — until finally, as a 7th grader, he came across something that gained national attention.

The 12-year-old boy from Marietta, Georgia, discovered evidence that chemicals in green tea may have cancer-fighting potential.

For this year’s science fair project, he tested epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), an antioxidant in green tea, to determine whether it could prevent breast cancer tumors in planaria, a type of flatworms. 

The research, which was part of his award-winning project for the Georgia Science and Engineering Fair, earned the boy praise from scientists across the country. He was even invited to go on a private tour of the Allen Discovery Center at Tufts University while on spring break in Boston two weeks ago.

“It’s not a cure for cancer,” his father, Lesley Litt, who trained as a chemist and assisted with the project, told CBS News. “What he found is a way to prevent cancer in these worms from those specific carcinogens. Their DNA is not the same as humans, but a professor at Tufts and a few others, they want to know what’s going on — they want to help.”

When I was that age my science fair project was what popcorn left the least amount of kernels once popping was done   :)

Good for him, These are the kids that hold our future in their hands.

pp

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 2:44 AM, pokerplayer said:

When I was that age my science fair project was what popcorn left the least amount of kernels once popping was done   :)

Good for him, These are the kids that hold our future in their hands.

pp

I forget what I did

but I know I got a F

for fun