Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Great American Eclipse August 21, 2017

RV ME

I remember as a pup hearing Carly Simon sing about going to Nova Scotia to see a total eclipse of the sun, and always wanted to experience a total eclipse of the sun, but without having to go to Nova Scotia.  On August 21, 2017 I will get my chance as “The Great American Eclipse” puts on a show from coast to coast with 11 states in the line of totality.

If you are close to any of the areas, I suggest you make plans now to road trip to catch the spectacular.  Our family will be heading just north of home to St Joseph, MO.  There is a nice open range nearby and we are going to get some target practice in and have a nice spot overlooking I29 to watch the miday sun disappear for over two minutes of twilight in midafternoon.  The only thing that would put a damper on this would be the weather, so hoping for a beautiful cloudless day on the 21st. 

Link below has detailed information regarding the time / location / duration of the eclipse as it tracks across the Country.  Make your plans now, and maybe I’ll see you in St Joe.  RV ME

Eclipse2017_USA

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/nation/

• Upvote 7

A dear friend of mine has been trying to get me to join him and a group in rural Oregon to see this total eclipse.  Not sure I am up to that for a mere 2+ minutes. Of course he is an astrophysicist and will bring his powerful telescope(s) to review the heavens on a clear night.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, tankdude said:

Hey - maybe the wife and I can come over and barbecue! *LOL*

Come on down.  The weather is right and the bge will be in her table nest by Wed.  Nothing like my 1st eclispe and bar b q.  Should be a humdinger..we'll be expecting ya.  Already bought my molasses to make my sauce and yes it's the real stuff....

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nstoolman1 said:

Looks like I got to Boise in time for the eclipse.  :bravo:

Just in the nick of time! LOL

Might be in the Boise area in September. Used to spend a lot of time there - well, actually a lot of time in the Orchard Training Area an Gowan Field.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I just had to bring this back....August 21, the eclipse will pass over Clarksville, TN. For 11 mins. And 29 seconds.....  our Banks are closed and all city offices are to be closed..  We have an estimated count of over 200,000 that will be here.  All hotels are booked and I am just glad our anniversary is not on this date......no way could we get reservation inside or outside of Nashville or Hopkinsville....   This will not happen again in our life time...only comes every 90 yrs....if you have children try to see it.  If you visit Clarksville or any surrounding area that you may see it,  come by my house.....we can bar-b-que and see the stars for a few minutes then have another beer.   My husband's off so it will be a large day.....btw...we have 4 sets of glasses, 2 for us and 2 more for YOU, if ya come

barb

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Many States Preparing For Historic Eclipse Like A Natural Disaster

August 7, 2017 2:40 PM

CBS Local — Americans across the U.S. will see the country’s first coast-to-coast solar eclipse in 99 years. While millions of people get ready to watch the Aug. 21 eclipse, local authorities are the treating the event more like a natural disaster and are preparing for the worst.

The disaster prep work stems from the massive tourist attraction the solar eclipse has become. The eclipse’s path of totality, where the moon will almost completely block the sun, covers a 70-mile-wide lane that will cut across 12 states from Oregon to South Carolina. There are an estimated 12 million people in the eclipse’s path.

According to greatamericaneclipse.com, another 1.8 to 7.4-million people will travel into the path on Aug. 21. Several small towns and less populated states are preparing to see their populations double or even triple in the week leading up to the solar event.

Several counties in Idaho and Oregon have already issued emergency declarations. Local officials are citing increased public safety risks, financial damage, and excess costs of cleanup and property damage for the alerts.

On the East Coast, officials in South Carolina are reportedly stocking up on bottled water and port-a-potty services to prepare for the influx of tourists. The Red Cross is also setting up emergency shelters in the 12 affected states to help with possible emergencies that may overwhelm local governments.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Whatshername said:

Many States Preparing For Historic Eclipse Like A Natural Disaster

August 7, 2017 2:40 PM

CBS Local — Americans across the U.S. will see the country’s first coast-to-coast solar eclipse in 99 years. While millions of people get ready to watch the Aug. 21 eclipse, local authorities are the treating the event more like a natural disaster and are preparing for the worst.

The disaster prep work stems from the massive tourist attraction the solar eclipse has become. The eclipse’s path of totality, where the moon will almost completely block the sun, covers a 70-mile-wide lane that will cut across 12 states from Oregon to South Carolina. There are an estimated 12 million people in the eclipse’s path.

According to greatamericaneclipse.com, another 1.8 to 7.4-million people will travel into the path on Aug. 21. Several small towns and less populated states are preparing to see their populations double or even triple in the week leading up to the solar event.

Several counties in Idaho and Oregon have already issued emergency declarations. Local officials are citing increased public safety risks, financial damage, and excess costs of cleanup and property damage for the alerts.

On the East Coast, officials in South Carolina are reportedly stocking up on bottled water and port-a-potty services to prepare for the influx of tourists. The Red Cross is also setting up emergency shelters in the 12 affected states to help with possible emergencies that may overwhelm local governments.

the Y2K BUG!

WE ARE ALL GONNA DIE!

• Upvote 4

On 6/30/2017 at 5:34 PM, learning all i can said:

LGD.......you, your wife and Lady Grace should take a long weekend..i believe  we could get some serious talking done and perhaps come to a perfect understanding of one another!  Wouldn't  that be grand....invitation truly stands.

barb

The 21st is my beloved and mines anniversary. 7 glorious and wonderful years. I did take a vacation day and I appreciate your offer but I must confess I've got to be with my wife.:D

But I do have a question for everyone here. All our lives and according to science as far back as we know the Sun and the Moon have always traveled from east to west. If you believe the scientific explanation considering the heliocentric nature of our solar system, this is because the way everything is spinning around. So I pose a question here, has no one else pondered or wondered how come this eclipse is traveling from Seattle towards South Carolina?

If everything is spinning around the same direction that has been spitting around for some supposed billions and billions of years how come is it the this eclipse is traveling from west to east? 

I did do a quick Google search for an answer and found out quickly that there was no real definitive answer to such a question. Maybe that's because things aren't what we're told they are.

• Upvote 4

Interesting thought you have there, LGD.  My ignorance on this subject will probably shine thru on this one but my 1st and only thought is:   1.  The sun is stationery,  it never moves.  2. We, the earth are continuously rotating around the sun, thus giving us day and night.  3.  The moon rotates around us, the earth....the two, sun and Moon will meet up  and Moon will cover the sun.  Now, I don't know if we spin clockwise or counterclockwise or how the moon spins,  but you and I both know that God had it figured out beforthe beginning of time, and that's good enough for me..  Just another one of His amazing Marvel's that should make us glorify and praise His sovereignty and Holy name.....from West to East, just as you, I don't understand but I feel confident in my own mind that it has to do with which-a-way the earth and Moon rotate.

Happy anniversary, I hope you a MLGD have a beautiful and precious moments of remembrance and celebration!

barb

• Upvote 3

On 4/14/2017 at 9:55 AM, RV ME said:

Link below has detailed information regarding the time / location / duration of the eclipse as it tracks across the Country.  Make your plans now, and maybe I’ll see you in St Joe.  RV ME

We are just south-west of Springfield.....expecting about 90-95% coverage here.  Love your profile photo!

• Upvote 2