Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Former Iraqi Tank Reveals Hidden Gold Worth £2m

SocalDinar

Former Iraqi Tank Reveals Hidden Gold Worth £2m

£2M in gold bullion hidden in Russian tank

The new owner of a tank used by Iraqi forces in the first Gulf War was taking great care as he started restoring it because Nick Mead was worried he might find explosives.

What he actually found was five gold bars worth around £2million.

The military vehicle enthusiast bought the T54/69 tank from an ad on eBay for £30,000.

Nick won't be banking his unexpected windfall. The 55-year-old from Helmdon in Northamptonshire told the Sun newspaper:

"You can’t exactly take five gold bullion bars down to Cash Converters without questions being asked so we called the police," 

He and a friend filmed the operation as he opened up the vehicle's diesel fuel tank.

They thought it might be useful to Explosive Ordnance Disposal teams if they found weapons or ammunition. 

The police have given Nick a receipt while they try to trace the gold bullion's original owner.

It's thought the treasure may have been looted by Iraqi soldiers during the invasion of Kuwait.

However, if he doesn't get the gold back Nick isn't worried:

'I'll still have my beautiful tank'

The tank will take pride of place in Nick's collection of 150 military vehicles at his Northamptonshire farm.

http://www.forces.net/news/former-iraqi-tank-reveals-hidden-gold-worth-ps2m

• Upvote 13

2 hours ago, ezrapound said:

Exactly. There's honest and then there's ridiculously stupid...!

OK so here is the solution for a next  time, in Jamestown CA (where the gold hunters go) are many shops that buy raw gold and most are in home forged bars. Gold is legal to own so I don't understand his issues.

Edited by Drunk_Viking64
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Drunk_Viking64 said:

OK so here is the solution for a next  time, in Jamestown CA (where the gold hunters go) are many shops that buy raw gold and most are in home forged bars. Gold is legal to own so I don't understand his issues.

The guy lives in Great Britain so maybe their laws are different than ours...

I have to say that i would probably not turn it in. Does that make me a bad guy. He did not steal the tank right?  I own a gold claim and love the shiney stuff.  I would have just melted it down into pellets and said i mined it myself. easy as that.  I would  pay the tax and smile smile smile as i cut that check

• Upvote 3

A military collector discovered five gold bars worth more than £1m ($1.24m) hidden inside a restored tank purchased for £30,000, prompting theories it was plundered by Saddam Hussein's soldiers during the first Gulf War in a 'Three Kings'-type heist.

The bullion was buried inside the fuel tank of the T54 armoured vehicle that had previously belonged to Hussein's Iraqi army. It is believed that the bars may have been looted from Kuwait during the 1990 Iraqi invasion, according to The Sun.

7f1cd2862c314db047cf20dc8c6d4a18

• Upvote 2