Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Rebuilding Iraq

rockfl9

Removing ISIS left Faluja and Ramadi  destroyed , nothing to go back to they say.   I think they planed to be more strategic with Mosul BUT they bombed most to rubble also. Restoration will be expensive and consume most of what could have been used to diversify the economy.  They will get help from the US, UN and IMF/WB .  How can they justify an RV ( massive give-away ) ??? May need a mini Marshall Plan!  But NO ,Iraq will be stubborn and want  to do it ALONE , just send the money.  I hope the world is not that stupid. Investment will go elsewhere.

Maybe a good time to divide the country.  The Kurds could annex Western Mosul and even Tikrit.. I think historically they have some claim.

• Downvote 1

Hey Rock...hope all is well with ya.

I see your point. This is just thoughts, but I know there has been a ton of money given to Iraq for rebuilding...I even read that Japan gave a few millions. I hope for these proud people that they get most of that money and are able to rebuild...if they want to. After what they have been through I would not blame them if they want to start new somewhere else..remember all the housing articles Yota has brought over. I always think that this is exactly what they mean...money to build new homes in Iraq...I am sure there will be a demand for housing as your comments prove. 

What do you think?

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

I get what you are saying, the poor people of Mosul have nothing..not even a healthy place to lay their heads. But as far as a change in monetary policy....frankly I worry more about the Kurds starting their own country as a hold up in monetary change than the condition of Mosul. Showing the world that Iraq CAN and Will rebuild will be enough IMO.

• Upvote 2

Rebuilding might turnout to be a blessing in disguise..... Given enough picks and shovels will solve the unemployment problem... Straighten and widen streets in the OLD City.

They would be so busy they will have to cancel a few holidays.

• Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2017 at 3:23 PM, rockfl9 said:

Rebuilding might turnout to be a blessing in disguise..... Given enough picks and shovels will solve the unemployment problem... Straighten and widen streets in the OLD City.

They would be so busy they will have to cancel a few holidays.

I think Al-Sadr's "service project" might be some form of volunteer program like US had during the depression.   Young men out of work were sent to National park areas to plant trees and build trails. They were fed , housed and the money was sent home.  It would be a good idea to clean up the devastated areas to prepare for rebuilding,  and would pick up some of the military that is no longer needed. 

If pushed by the clergy as a religious duty it might fly.

• Downvote 1