Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Charlie Daniels: It’s Only a Matter of Time Before There Is Blood on the Streets

SocalDinar

Charlie Daniels: It’s Only a Matter of Time Before There Is Blood on the Streets

By Charlie Daniels | February 14, 2017 | 11:21 AM EST

tattered_american_flag_ap_photo-darlo_lo
A tattered and torn American flag blows in the wind with dark clouds overhead. (AP Photo/Darlo Lopez Mills)

Over a century ago, the United States of America went through a divisive and bloody Civil War that separated the people of this nation bone from marrow. It split friends, families and eventually the nation itself as a line was drawn dividing the Union States of the North from the newly formed Confederacy of the Southern States.

Ostensibly, the war that followed was fought over the abolition of slavery, a devilish practice that never should have been allowed in the first place, and although it was the basic issue for the conflict – as is the case so much of the time – there were a myriad of other issues involved.

One – in my opinion – was just plain stubbornness and pride and the dogged determination that the South would not let itself be told what to do by the other half of the country, but trade, tariffs and different attitudes and beliefs about just how far a federal government could go in setting the tone and making laws to be obeyed by all the states were also involved.

The point I'm trying to make is that the feelings festered so long and ran so deep that men whose fathers had stood shoulder to shoulder in the war for independence faced off across fields of battle and killed each other.

The Civil War never should have happened, and had cooler heads prevailed on both sides, never would have. Southerners had to know that slavery was an abomination to the principles they had fought and died for in the Revolution.

No man has the right to own another man, to reap the fruits of his labor for nothing, to consider his children nothing more than commodities to be sold off or traded away on a whim, separating families and breeding human beings like livestock.

But instead of acknowledging the very obvious evil of this situation, politicians from the South, convinced that the economy of the Southern States was dependent on slavery, chose to become a separate nation and soon after over six hundred thousand Americans lost their lives in a senseless war that would set the Southern States back a half century.

Surely, had it been approached by fair, level-headed men on both sides of the issue, abolition could have been achieved without war. But the rhetoric grew ever hotter. Brash young men on both sides, who had never fired a gun in anger, viewed a war as the pinnacle of romanticism, and implacable politicians refused to give an inch.

Is this not the same attitude we see on the streets of America today?

I see young people interviewed on television who can't even articulate the reason they are protesting. Others bent on destruction who probably espouse no cause but chaos.

I've seen hysterical protestors screaming about First Amendment rights which they seem to think only protect them and those who think like them and that the opposition has no First Amendment protection and should be shouted down at all costs.

The rhetoric is becoming hotter and more nonsensical, the radical element more apparent, the violence and destruction of property more common place.

The pot is boiling and it’s only a matter of time before there will be blood on the streets.

Americans have the right to civil disobedience, a right to gather and demonstrate against some policy they feel is unfair or harmful to the country at large, but they do not have the right to interrupt commerce, break windows, burn cars or do bodily harm to those who disagree with them.

People who won't listen to reason, who ignore the law of the land and who try to stifle the opinions of others tend to forget that there is an element of violence on the other side as well, a side that, thankfully, so far has not yet come forth.

But, should these conditions continue, someday soon the violent elements of both persuasions will find themselves on the same streets, and what will ensue will not be pretty.

Learn from history, or repeat it.

What do you think?

Pray for our troops, our police and the peace of Jerusalem.

God Bless America

— Charlie Daniels

Charlie Daniels is a legendary American singer, song writer, guitarist, and fiddler famous for his contributions to country and southern rock music. Daniels has been active as a singer since the early 1950s. He was inducted into the Grand Ole Opry on January 24, 2008.

• Upvote 6

Thanks again SocalDinar for your perspective ! Please let me tell you mine. My family has fought in every American war since our conception. The largest trade ever in history of this planet was cotton ! I truly believe had natural evolution other than war,  we all would have been a whole lot better off. In essence the North cut off the South's trade which again was the largest entity on the planet. The South went bankrupt ! Every man , woman and child I don't care what color you were, were now poor ! In my estimation the blacks never got anything from all of that and neither did the South. My family are truly Patriots and Confederates all in one. While there were separations the blacks were always aloud to eat with our family and be around our family and they were entrusted to help us take care of our family. God rest Carolyn and what she and her family gave to us. I have family buried in Livingston Texas from the Confederacy and some made the history books. People are people unless they don't act like people. If the great wisdom of the North was so rightous why is their still racism ? I don't feel that we owe anybody alive today a damn thing , other than respect ! My chances are no better than anyone else to make a living. I certainly hope that we can all come together for a cause that brings us all together, because what we've done so far is clearly not working. May God bless America !

• Upvote 5

When hatred is manufactured and then manipulated by false narratives and memes by both friend and foe, it becomes all that much harder to work towards a common good. As the lines are further blurred between what is right and what is wrong, we, the people of America are finding ourselves once again in an era like that of McCarthyism. In the 1950's the nation of the United States was paralyzed by fear of Communism and a lot of good people lost careers and their lives. The effects from the ramifications of this paralyzing fear are still felt in the hallowed halls of the United States. It is felt in Hollywood, where the greatest consequences were felt. Jews in the Untied States vote left mainly due to this movement. This movement was wrong as it had people looking over their shoulders and at their neighbors for any signs of treason. However, having learnt the lessons from this paranoid period the United States finds itself in period bordering on the precipice of this darkened history. Is it only a matter of time that the Trump's Presidency is limited? Time will tell if the current environment is allowed to continue to fester then the United States is headed toward rapids down a river it has never encountered before. How will it navigate the treacherous waters ahead is anyone's guess. What is certain is if this escalates furtther and like that of the Holy Roman Empire, apathy will bring down the great walls of the United States. Through the rubble people will look dumbfounded as to what happened and how it happened. They will blame everything under the sun but in the end all they have to do is look at themselves. 

• Upvote 4

Hey Texstorm. This is not my perspective,  Just an opinion piece written by a Charlie Daniels.

As far as racism goes i truly believe it is our instinct which makes us weary and not openly trusting of those different than ourselves. Humans can be some nasty creatures so it was wise to not trust other tribes and those different than ourselves.  People may say they are not racist but It is impossible to take our instinct for survival out of us. I don't think a couple of thousand years of religion and civilization can take rid us of these instincts. Human instinct is why about 70% of all men have cheated on their mates. Its  in our blood and was crucial for the survival of our species. Maybe not so crucial anymore but it sure was when we were running around the Savannah s naked. Impossible to stop these instincts completely. Maybe we can control it a bit but it's deeply inset into our brains. It is apart of us always.

My great grandparents moved here and settled in the mid west. They were Farmers but they reaped their own harvests. They never ever enslaved a person to do their work for them unless you count their kids. They may have  bred like rabbits ( 12 kids )  but they never owned another human being. The whole concept baffles me. So when i hear about whitey owing reparations to the black man it really pisses me off. Slavery was already over by the time my family even immigrated here. Guys like Sharpton and Jackson only promote hate and stereotypes. How Ironic

• Upvote 5

Texstorm...My hat is off to you. Glad to see someones family history close to mine.

Theseus.. Some well said points...Thanks...one needs to look at the life span of the greatest civilizations to see where we are at.

SocaDinar, thanks for bringing over this from Charlie Daniels. I like him and I think he is a True American. I am afraid he is right on a lot of what he said in this piece. Just look at the news from all angles and see what is going on. This morning I hear that parts of the intelligence community are withholding information from the President because they are afraid he will talk about it. That is ridiculous and wrong. He is the chosen leader of this country. If he wants to talk about it, then so be it. How is he to make informed decisions on the national interests of this country if he does not have all the intel that he needs. One could say that this is the beginning of a coup or maybe look at it that way. I do pray that the people of this country learn from history and do not try to repeat it.

• Upvote 3