Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Inside The Obama Stock Market's 235% Return

The big stock winners of the Obama years were a beauty store chain, a shopping mall owner, Netflix and consumer discretionary companies like Under Armour. The losers were companies linked to oil and gas as commodities prices plunged.

When Barack Obama was sworn in as the 44th president of the United States on January 20, 2009, the U.S. stock market was in free fall. The financial crisis was in full swing following the collapse of Lehman Brothers and the Standard & Poor’s 500 index, a popular measure of the U.S. stock market, closed at 805 points on Inauguration Day.

Eight years later, the S&P 500 index has risen to 2,274 points after one of the great bull runs in stock market history. With Obama as president, the U.S. stock market, as measured by the S&P 500, returned 235%, or 16.4% annualized.

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

President Barack Obama  (AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

The Obama stock market trounced the stock market of his presidential predecessor, George W. Bush, which fell 30.6% from January 20, 2001 to January 20, 2009. Bill Clinton’s stock market, however, beat the Obama stock market, returning 264%, or 17.5% annualized.

The top-performing sector of the Obama stock market was the consumer discretionary sector, which returned 338%, or 20% annualized, according to FactSet Research Systems. The sector was driven by hot stocks like Under Armour and L Brands. Energy stocks were the worst performers during the Obama years as the price of oil and other commodities plunged. But even the energy sector managed to stay in positive territory and eke out a 53% return during Obama’s presidency.

Both Silicon Valley and Wall Street did well under Obama. Information technology was the second-best performing sector of the U.S. stock market during the Obama presidency, returning 285%. And while bankers complained about being political targets and dealt with new regulations limiting their risk-taking activities, Wall Street recovered in the years after banks received bailouts. Financial stocks were the third-best performing sector in the U.S. stock market during the Obama years, rising 261%.

In Obama’s America, the top-performing stock according to FactSet was a chain of beauty stores known for discount deals and based in Bollingbrook, Ill. Ulta Salon, Cosmetics & Fragrance has staged a stunning expansion during Obama’s presidency and now operates 949 stores across America, selling 20,000 beauty products ranging from cosmetics to skin care and salon services. Ulta Salon’s stock has returned 4,350% during the Obama years.

Shortly after Obama took office, a group of Wall Street investors led by billionaire hedge fund manager Bill Ackman reorganized a bankrupt shopping mall owner while U.S. real estate was reeling. General Growth Properties filed America’s largest ever real estate bankruptcy. The recapitalized company took the stock market by storm, returning 3,465%.

The Obama years coincided with lightning-fast technological change that was reflected in the stock market. The iPhone was introduced less than two years before he took office. During the Obama years, billionaire Reed Hastings transformed Netflix from a DVD rental-by-mail company into a video-streaming behemoth that changed the way people consume entertainment. Shares of Netflix have returned 3,037% in the last eight years.

Another revolution that has taken place while Obama has been president involves biotechnology. New medicines and treatments have produced disease-curing breakthroughs, creating massive stock market value in the process. Billionaire Leonard Schleifer’s Regeneron developed a drug to treat eye disease age-related macular degeneration, Eylea, which produced $4.09 billion in 2015 sales. The drug was approved by the Food & Drug Administration during Obama’s first term and Regeneron’s stock has surged by 2,294% while Obama has been in office.

Obama has long been an advocate of renewable energy and has particularly promoted solar energy. With the Obama Administration providing solar subsidies, investors rushed into solar stocks, but they have largely been disappointed by the results as those subsidies faded. First Solar, the largest U.S. solar equipment producer, has seen its stock fall by 74% as prices for solar panels fell, making it the worst performing S&P 500 stock of the Obama years.

With oil and natural gas prices weakening in recent years, the three other stocks among the top four worst performers in the S&P 500 during the Obama years were energy companies. Shares of Southwest Energy, Transocean and Chesapeake Energy tumbled by 63%, 58%, and 41%, respectively, while Obama was president.

Still, of the main stock index’s 469 stocks that were trading when Obama took office and remain listed today, only 12 of them ended the Obama terms in negative total return territory. Some of those stocks, like Goldman Sachs, got an extra boost after Donald Trump was elected and the stock market staged a Trump rally. But in the history books, those gains will be attributed to the Obama stock market.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanvardi/2017/01/17/inside-the-obama-stock-markets-235-rise/#73af55f77879

B/A

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bostonangler said:

Eight years later, the S&P 500 index has risen to 2,274 points after one of the great bull runs in stock market history.

Since November the S&P has risen approx. 130 points. That's a nice bounce but a small percentage of the 235% since Bush left office. In February 09 the S&P was at roughly 730. You can't deny those numbers.

B/A

6 hours ago, bostonangler said:

Since November the S&P has risen approx. 130 points. That's a nice bounce but a small percentage of the 235% since Bush left office. In February 09 the S&P was at roughly 730. You can't deny those numbers.

B/A

Won't deny the numbers, just won't give him credit.😆

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, bostonangler said:

You can't deny those numbers.

B/A

Speaking of numbers that can’t be denied, $10,000,000,000,000 in new debt mainly due to QE I, II, & III funneling money to Wall Street which then artificially inflated the stock market.  Something you yourself have pointed out many times, but I notice that the article, and your comments, seem to ignore this fact in order to praise Dear Leader.  Since we have agreed multiple times in the past that the stock market gains are 100% artificial, are you now saying the artificially inflated market is a good thing because it was brought to us by Obummer?  Please help me understand because I find your lack of consistency is confusing.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, RV ME said:

Speaking of numbers that can’t be denied, $10,000,000,000,000 in new debt mainly due to QE I, II, & III funneling money to Wall Street which then artificially inflated the stock market.  Something you yourself have pointed out many times, but I notice that the article, and your comments, seem to ignore this fact in order to praise Dear Leader.  Since we have agreed multiple times in the past that the stock market gains are 100% artificial, are you now saying the artificially inflated market is a good thing because it was brought to us by Obummer?  Please help me understand because I find your lack of consistency is confusing.

I agree the economy is propped up with the printing of money. But making some good trades have paid off. There are trends with Democratic and Republican administrations. With Republicans energy, transportation, banking, insurance and other do well. With Democrats consumer goods, legal, entertainment and others do well. You can make money off both sides you need to know how to play, when to buy and more importantly, when to sell. I do know when economies crash, tobacco and alcohol usually do very well. Another good one in a down economy are pawnbroker stocks. JMHO

B/A

• Upvote 1

I almost forgot about the $48,000,000,000 taxpayer dollars he gave GM to "save" them.  If you give him credit for falsely propping up the market, I hope you remember where to lay the blame when the bubble bursts :peace:

Edited by RV ME
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, RV ME said:

I almost forgot about the $48,000,000,000 taxpayer dollars he gave GM to "save" them.  If you give him credit for falsely propping up the market, I hope you remember where to lay the blame when the bubble bursts :peace:

Well it was Bush who initiated the bailout, but time was up and he handed it off to Obama. If you think about the economy as Bush was leaving it was in a very sad state. With that said, Obama was a pawn of the Federal Reserve and should take the blame for being their slave. In the end, it is always "we the people" who pay. I do hope that Trump doesn't play the Washington games, but I think he will be another in the long line of opportunist, who cash in on their time in Washington. I know many here and across America think Trump is the answer to their prayers. I guess time will tell. Here's to hope and change...

B/A

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bostonangler said:

Well it was Bush who initiated the bailout, but time was up and he handed it off to Obama. If you think about the economy as Bush was leaving it was in a very sad state. With that said, Obama was a pawn of the Federal Reserve and should take the blame for being their slave. In the end, it is always "we the people" who pay. I do hope that Trump doesn't play the Washington games, but I think he will be another in the long line of opportunist, who cash in on their time in Washington. I know many here and across America think Trump is the answer to their prayers. I guess time will tell. Here's to hope and change...

B/A

Actually, I think you are either revising history or are confused and misremembering again.  Like when you said the Republicans ran Congress when Obummercare was passed was incorrect, you are also incorrect saying the stimulus was W’s doing.  The stimulus was 100% Obummer and the Democrats.  W did sign the bank bailout in October before leaving office (that is why his approval was in the 39% range, Dems always hated him for “stealing” the election from Algore, and after the bank bailout conservatives disapproved in droves).  Dems already had majorities in both houses of Congress and the election in November gave them a 60 seat supermajority in the Senate come January.  In February Obummer announced the $800,000,000,000 stimulus, he and the Dems in Congress own it just like they own Obummercare.

The economy had gone south in 2008, due to the culmination of several factors.  I for one never believed the world was headed for the great depression, thought it was just more fake news and hyperbole designed to panic the public into supporting the bankers bailout.  And years later, even Obummer admitted there were no “shovel ready” jobs.  To compound the problem, the stimulus was added to the budget and has inflated the baseline budget the last 7 years.  The kick in the nads that keeps on kicking.

• Upvote 4

I never really had a problem with the stimulus because it allowed cash strapped communities the opportunity of federal funding for infrastructure projects that were desperately needed, but would otherwise go unchecked....some of these issues, such as bridges, had become very dangerous and a tragedy was imminent if neglected much longer.  The issue I had was the large $1500.00 sign at each end of the project announcing said stimulus project.....and the fact that overpriced prevailing wage union workers had to be used on said projects.  The final product though, turned out wonderfully.....so, pick your poison.  In my opinion Obamacare has the same issues, good and bad.......don't kill it, just fix it.  Rant complete

GO RV, then BV

13 hours ago, RV ME said:

Actually, I think you are either revising history or are confused and misremembering again. 

The economic collapse began with Bush... He deregulated the banks. And the bailout began with Bush. There is no denying Bush was an epic failure when it came to his fiscal policies.

Did Obama step up and make the tough choices that would have fixed the problem? No. Was he willing to tell Americans you are going to have to suffer to fix this? Nope. He applied a band aid which is going to hurt whenever a true leader decides to pull it off. But history is what it is. Bush handed Obama and Americans a pile of crap.  Obama just kicked the can down the street. Now Americans hope Trump will be the guy who steps up and makes the tough decisions to fix the economic debacle and reduce spending thus reducing debt. I hope he is the cowboy in the white hat to save the day. Let's see if he mans up or if he just cashes out like the rest of the criminals in government.

The point of this thread was to show if you invested wisely you made money. As for the politics, well that is a different discussion, that somehow bleeds into every post.

The Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 (Division A of Pub.L. 110–343, 122 Stat. 3765, enacted October 3, 2008), commonly referred to as a bailout of the U.S. financial system, is a law enacted in response to the subprime mortgage crisis authorizing the United States Secretary of the Treasury to spend up to $700 billion to purchase distressed assets, especially mortgage-backed securities, and supply cash directly to banks. The funds for purchase of distressed assets were mostly redirected to inject capital into banks and other financial institutions while the Treasury continued to examine the usefulness of targeted asset purchases.[1][2] Both foreign and domestic banks are included in the program. The Act was proposed by Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson during the global financial crisis of 2008 and signed into law by President George W. Bush on October 3, 2008.

History

The legislation had its origin in early 2008, Secretary of the Treasury Henry Paulson directed two of his aides, Neel Kashkari and Phillip Swagel, to write a plan to recapitalize the U.S. financial system in case of total collapse. The plan, which was also presented to Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke, called for the U.S. government to purchase about $500 billion in distressed assets from financial institutions.[3]

The original proposal was submitted to the United States House of Representatives, with the purpose of purchasing bad assets, reducing uncertainty regarding the worth of the remaining assets, and restoring confidence in the credit markets. The bill was then expanded and put forth as an amendment to H.R. 3997.[4] The amendment was rejected via a vote of the House of Representatives on September 29, 2008, voting 205–228.[5]

On October 1, 2008, the Senate debated and voted on an amendment to H.R. 1424, which substituted a newly revised version of the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 for the language of H.R. 1424.[6][7] The Senate accepted the amendment and passed the entire amended bill, voting 74–25.[8] Additional unrelated provisions added an estimated $150 billion to the cost of the package and increased the length of the bill to 451 pages.[9][10] (See Public Law 110-343 for details on the added provisions.) The amended version of H.R. 1424 was sent to the House for consideration, and on October 3, the House voted 263–171 to enact the bill into law.[6][11][12] President George W. Bush signed the bill into law within hours of its congressional enactment, creating the $700 billion Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) to purchase failing bank assets.[13] TARP was dwarfed by other guarantees and lending limits; analysis by Bloomberg found the Federal Reserve had, by March 2009, committed $7.77 trillion to rescuing the financial system, more than half the value of everything produced in the U.S. that year.[14]

Supporters of the plan argued that the market intervention called for by the plan was vital to prevent further erosion of confidence in the U.S. credit markets and that failure to act could lead to an economic depression. Opponents objected to the plan's cost and rapidity, pointing to polls that showed little support among the public for "bailing out" Wall Street investment banks,[15] claimed that better alternatives were not considered,[16] and that the Senate forced passage of the unpopular version through the opposing house by "sweetening" the bailout package.[17]

Economic background

After the freeing up of world capital markets in the 1970s and the repeal of the Glass–Steagall Act in 1999, the banking practices (mostly Greenspan inspired "self-regulation") along with monetized subprime mortgages sold as no risk investments, reached a critical stage during September 2008, characterized by severely contracted liquidity in the global credit markets[18] and insolvency threats to investment banks and other institutions. In response, the U.S. government announced a series of comprehensive steps to address the problems, following a series of "one-off" or "case-by-case" decisions to intervene or not, such as the $85 billion liquidity facility for American International Group on September 16, the federal takeover of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers.

On Monday, October 6, the Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped more than 700 points and fell below 10,000 for the first time in four years.[19] The same day, CNN reported these worldwide stock market events:[20]

• Britain's FTSE 100 Index was down 7.9%
  • Germany's DAX down 7.1%
  • France's CAC 40 dropping 9%
  • In Russia, trading in shares was suspended after the RTS stock index fell more than 20%.
  • Iceland halted trading in six bank stocks while the government drafted a crisis plan.

Politicians

Supporters of the plan included presidential candidates Barack Obama and John McCain, and British Prime Minister Gordon Brown.[80][81]

Critics included Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee, Congressman Ron Paul, Libertarian presidential candidate Bob Barr, and Senators Christopher Dodd, Richard Shelby, and Jim Bunning.[82][83][84][85][86]

In a Wall Street Journal opinion piece, Senator Hillarious Clinton advocated addressing the rate of mortgage defaults and foreclosures that ignited this crisis, not just bailing out Wall Street firms: "If we do not take action to address the crisis facing borrowers, we'll never solve the crisis facing lenders." She has proposed a new Home Owners' Loan Corporation (HOLC), similar to that used after the Depression, which was launched in 1933. The new HOLC would administer a national program to help homeowners refinance their mortgages. She also called for a moratorium on foreclosures and freezing of rate hikes in adjustable rate mortgages.[87]

Barack Obama, then the Democratic presidential candidate, said that any bailout must include plans to recover the money, protect working families and big financial institutions and be crafted to prevent such a crisis from happening again.

B/A

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, SgtFuryUSCZ said:

BA is still having trouble accepting that bush & ho'bummer play for the same evil team..... :P

Same lefties broken record mantra "it's bush's fault ! " :angry:

SO sad. :lol:

WISE UP.<_<Catch up.

I understand the Illuminati.... Or as you like to call them, "The Evil Team".  Just read the last part of my above post and see who supported the bailout... They all belong in jail.

B/A

6 minutes ago, SgtFuryUSCZ said:

"it's bush's fault ! " :angry:

Nope I have to disagree it's not Bush's fault. It is the voter's fault. Americans continue to do the same thing over and over expecting a different result. I believe that is the definition of insanity.

Right or wrong, this time American voters did do something different and voted for an outsider. I truly hope he mans up. Time will tell, and with the way he makes his decisions, we should find out very quickly if he is true to his promises or just another con man.

B/A

• Upvote 1

Oh, BA -----  :facepalm3:

All of Trump's success to date is no con.

Just because YOU can't afford to live / work in one of his awesome buildings,

stay at one of his awesome hotels,

shop in any of his high-end stores,

eat at one of his wonderful restaurants,

afford the greens fees at one of his world-class Golf Courses,

you question his success as a great American Businessman.

Well we have done 4 of the things on our list herein above and can tell you first hand:

This guy does it right !

How about YOU man up, admit his success,

and accept the fact that his same principles may serve this Country well.

Couldn't do any worse than the epic-fail tool-for-evil of the past eight years. <_<

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, SgtFuryUSCZ said:

Oh, BA -----  :facepalm3:

All of Trump's success to date is no con.

Just because YOU can't afford to live / work in one of his awesome buildings,

stay at one of his awesome hotels,

shop in any of his high-end stores,

eat at one of his wonderful restaurants,

afford the greens fees at one of his world-class Golf Courses,

you question his success as a great American Businessman.

Well we have done 4 of the things on our list herein above and can tell you first hand:

This guy does it right !

How about YOU man up, admit his success,

and accept the fact that his same principles may serve this Country well.

Couldn't do any worse than the epic-fail tool-for-evil of the past eight years. <_<

I had no idea your affection for the 1% was so immense......the rich shall inherit the earth.  I never figured you for the type to believe money is the epitome of success and righteousness.  :o  Just when I think you couldn't lower the bar any further.....BAM!  

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, Texstorm said:

One more day and all of this Shiite is behind us ! Notice to all commie libs and no good Republicans..... Your days are numbered ! 

I agree Texstorm. Only a little more than 24 hours of the Hope and Change that I did not like. Time to MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN !!!!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bostonangler said:

The economic collapse began with Bush... He deregulated the banks.

B/A

More revisionist history?  I stopped reading at this comment.  It was not W that deregulated the banks, it was Bubba Clinton.  It is clear how much you despise W, but at least make sure you blame him for something he actually did.  And if you want to spout an opinion, please get the facts correct before doing so, then your opinion will carry some weight. 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

I never figured you for the type to believe money is the epitome of success and righteousness.  

Again, kid kommon-kore, ya missed the point:

His successful self-made American entrepreneur Dad gave him a grub stake....

like so many other kids his age he could have squandered it.

But he already had an excellent work ethic and had worked very hard at many jobs of his own before receiving that stake.

How he  used that money to work for him,

what he built,

and how he runs it all now ALL attest to his abilities to do even more great things.

He has stated many times, he could not have done it ALL without having surrounded himself with other great folks..

so the intentional stalling by petty, ignorant evil little lefties of his Administration picks ludicrous.

He's an amazing leader, a skilled financier (LOVES to cut costs & save money whilst still expecting and getting excellence out of it!)

As far as how and where we like to spend OUR OWN hard-earned money --- jealous much?

You just go ahead and sit on your couch or your barstool and never go out and enjoy the finer things in life...

go ahead and deny yourself beauty, art and finer taste as you wallow in your leftist, collective, kommie principles.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, RV ME said:

More revisionist history?  I stopped reading at this comment.  It was not W that deregulated the banks, it was Bubba Clinton.  It is clear how much you despise W, but at least make sure you blame him for something he actually did.  And if you want to spout an opinion, please get the facts correct before doing so, then your opinion will carry some weight. 

It's too bad you stopped reading.  Here is a summary of the bailout.

The Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 (Division A of Pub.L. 110–343, 122 Stat. 3765, enacted October 3, 2008), commonly referred to as a bailout of the U.S. financial system,The Act was proposed by Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson during the global financial crisis of 2008 and signed into law by President George W. Bush on October 3, 2008.

Right you are. Clinton signed the banking deregulation bill in to law. And I definitely am not defending Billy, but it was a republican bill. And yes I agree they are not conservatives. And like Obama who didn't man up during his watch, nor did "W". There was a warning of what this could mean... But again as Sarge would say the Evil Tools are from the same camp.

The banking industry had been seeking the repeal of the 1933 Glass–Steagall Act since the 1980s, if not earlier.[5][6] In 1987 the Congressional Research Service prepared a report that explored the cases for and against preserving the Glass–Steagall act.[7]

350px-GrammLeachBliley.jpg

Sen. Phil Gramm (R, Texas), Rep. Jim Leach (R, Iowa), and Rep. Thomas J. Bliley, Jr. (R, Virginia), the co-sponsors of the Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act.

Respective versions of the Financial Services Act were introduced in the U.S. Senate by Phil Gramm (Republican of Texas) and in the U.S. House of Representatives by Jim Leach (R-Iowa). The third lawmaker associated with the bill was Rep. Thomas J. Bliley, Jr. (R-Virginia), Chairman of the House Commerce Committee from 1995 to 2001.

During debate in the House of Representatives, Rep. John Dingell (Democrat of Michigan) argued that the bill would result in banks becoming "too big to fail." Dingell further argued that this would necessarily result in a bailout by the Federal Government.[8]

The House passed its version of the Financial Services Act of 1999 on July 1, 1999, by a bipartisan vote of 343–86 (Republicans 205–16; Democrats 138–69; Independent 0–1),[9][10][note 1] two months after the Senate had already passed its version of the bill on May 6 by a much-narrower 54–44 vote along basically-partisan lines (53 Republicans and 1 Democrat in favor; 44 Democrats opposed).[12][13][14][note 2]

400px-Gramm-Leach-Bliley_Vote_1999.png

Final Congressional vote by chamber and party, November 4, 1999

When the two chambers could not agree on a joint version of the bill, the House voted on July 30 by a vote of 241–132 (R 58–131; D 182–1; Ind. 1–0) to instruct its negotiators to work for a law which ensured that consumers enjoyed medical and financial privacy as well as "robust competition and equal and non-discriminatory access to financial services and economic opportunities in their communities" (i.e., protection against exclusionary redlining).[note 3]

The bill then moved to a joint conference committee to work out the differences between the Senate and House versions. Democrats agreed to support the bill after Republicans agreed to strengthen provisions of the anti-redlining Community Reinvestment Act and address certain privacy concerns; the conference committee then finished its work by the beginning of November.[16][17] On November 4, the final bill resolving the differences was passed by the Senate 90–8,[18][note 4] and by the House 362–57.[19][note 5] The legislation was signed into law by President Bill Clinton on November 12, 1999.[20]

As of tomorrow this is all history and we move forward from. Now we wait and see if Trump will do the right thing. If he truly wants to help the middle class who put him in office or if he continues the path our leaders have been on to enrich themselves and their corporate cronies. Time will tell.

B/A 

• Upvote 1

If every "gimme" program invented, written, supported and voted in by the left and their RINO co-conspiritors,

which is doled out to those who are not truly needy, nor American Citizens,

each and every American Citizen could receive a check right now for $40,000.00...

Now THAT's alotta "gimme".....

Time to drain the swamp, cut the fat, slaughter the PORK,

make folks get off the dole and back to work or back across the border accordingly.

Imagine how much money THAT would be towards our bottom line alone !

MAGA !

Edited by SgtFuryUSCZ
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, SgtFuryUSCZ said:

If every "gimme" program invented, written, supported and voted in by the left and their RINO co-conspiritors,

which is doled out to those who are not truly needy, nor American Citizens,

each and every American Citizen could receive a check right now for $40,000.00...

Now THAT's alotta "gimme".....

Time to drain the swamp, cut the fat, slaughter the PORK,

make folks get off the dole and back to work or back across the border accordingly.

Imagine how much money THAT would be towards our bottom line alone !

MAGA !

I like that idea of giving Americans $40,000. But I'm sure we'll never see it.

B/A

• Upvote 1