Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

The Perfect Dress...

Markinsa

BY PRUDENCE HILL

Cailey Feisel was quite happy with her latest purchase from Zara, the “fast fashion” clothing retailer.

Then she noticed an unpleasant odor and realized that what she felt rubbing against her leg wasn't a loose thread.

zara-1-1.jpg
Image Credit: Court Filing

As the New York Post reports, Feisel had bought a black scoop-neck dress from a Zara store in Greenwich, Connecticut, for $40 in July. While she didn't notice anything amiss with the garment at the time, when Feisel wore the dress to work several weeks later, she couldn't help but notice a “pungent” smell.

At first, the New Yorker did what anyone else would do when confronted by a bad smell. Her legal filing states:

“Despite getting up from her desk and walking around, she was unable to escape the odor.”

That's when Feisel noticed another strange thing about the dress. She tells the Post:

“I felt something brushing up against my leg and thought it was a string from the seam of the dress. When I went to pull at it, it didn’t feel like a string. I then felt the hem of the dress and it felt like there was some sort of sensor.”

A closer look at the dress, however, revealed that it wasn't a sensor rubbing against her leg. Instead, Feisel says she found the leg of a decomposing rodent sticking out of the seam.

The unnerving discovery sent her running to the bathroom. Feisel tells the Post:

“I changed immediately. Thank God I had something to change into.”

In addition to the distress associated with finding a dead rodent in one's dress, Feisel also says that she developed a rash that was later diagnosed as a “rodent-borne disease.”

zara-2.jpg
Image Credit: Court Filing

She is now suing Zara, claiming that the fashion retailer has a “duty of care” to ensure that their clothing is, “free from defects, including rodent infestations.”

The dress in question was made in Turkey. Adam Deutsch, Feisel's attorney, tells the Post that he believes Zara's rush to get new products to stores may be responsible for the error:

“Zara is known for ... taking a design that is popular and getting it on shelves very quickly, that is because they manufacture all their own material. The quickness in which they get things from design to shelf probably leads to their lack of controls.”

In a statement to the New York Daily News, Zara stated that they were, “aware of the suit, and we are investigating the matter further.” A spokesman adds:

“Zara USA has stringent health and safety standards, and we are committed to ensuring that all of our products meet these rigorous requirements.”

The woman's attorney tells the Post that Feisel has been “a wreck” since discovering the rodent in her dress. He adds that they attempted to settle the case out of court, but Zara had refused to do so.

• Upvote 4

WTH???  I'm not lettin' the manufacturer off the hook but.... I'm sure the smell was "pungent" by the time she got it home anyway...how could she miss that?  Really???  I think folks are way too unaware of their surroundings now a days.  Just sayin'!  :facepalm3:  Since moving "South" I try to check my shoes every time I put them on, we shake most of the cloths out that are hung out on the cloths line, and ya watch where you step for the most part...nature is nature...and a lot of times it's not too friendly! :huh:

Edited by RodandStaff
  • Upvote 3

To be smelly, it would have been still fairly fresh at manufacture and shipping since it would not have had long enough to dry out and mummify.  You betcha it would be unsafe :blink:

Yikes a varmint in da dress.:o:lol:

To see that pitiful hand reaching out after being sewn up...what a way to go! :( 

The gnawer couldn't even extricate itself from that situation..... so, so, so sad....NOT! :ph34r:

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, Whatshername said:

ew-little-girl-face-.jpg

Mark, you've triggered me!  I once got bitten by Bangladeshi Sand Fleas :shrug:  from a hoodie I wore right out of the package before washing it!  It was kinda horrifying!  But a dead RODENT?  I would need a safe space, 4 drinks and a herd of therapy cats!   :huh:

OMG!!

whatshername has FLEAS! 

Edited by Muleslayer
Poke dat bear!
  • Upvote 4

• 8 months later...

The seaming breaks.  You can see the lock stitch catching the free edge of the fabric on either side of the rodent.  The straight thread portion continues apparently unbroken. That is what I see.

I'm not a seamstress but I have done some sewing and I don't know if the commercial machine would have accomplished that without jamming or something.

Really odd situation.  Eeeewwww!!