Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Belize offshore secrecy ill at ease with UK politics and US authorities

umbertino

How US tax inspectors fear firms and individuals are using Lord Ashcroft’s bank to hide assets and evade tax

Simon Bowers

Tuesday 2 August 2016 17.07 BST

4752.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f
Lord Ashcroft’s BBI and BCS in Belize have been blacklisted by US tax authorities.
Photograph: Alamy Stock Photo

• Upvote 1

While I was there last year visiting one of the owners of The Placencia Lord Ashcroft's yacht was docked there having a party.  The owner, Wayne Robbins, was telling me that he is known as a modern day pirate in some circles.  He pulls a lot of weight in the Caribbean.  I have no doubt that there is truth in the article.  

Also, while there in January, I spoke to a couple of folks in banking and did some reading in the local newspapers.  It seems that many Belizean banks are difficulty with FATCA and Major Credit Card companies.  If they want to continue to do business in USD for cc transactions they have to have a US affiliate relationship.  In order to do this, they have to be FATCA compliant and it is incredibly expensive and taxing on their already burdened economy.  There are a few banks who only do transactions in Belizean $ and it's not an issue, but losing the ability to conduct USD cc transactions could have a major impact on the tourist trade.  Just added info I thought about.  Not related to the article in question.

• Upvote 8

In response to something that was posted in the VIP section:

There are quite a few banks that no longer do business with US citizens thanks to FATCA. 

There are also a couple that still do, and I'm confident that my contacts in the banking industry will keep us operating our legal offshore strategies long into the future, despite what Uncle Sam likes or does not like. 

:twothumbs:

• Upvote 12