Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iraq releases thousands of Maliki-era prisoners

23 May 2016

Iraqi authorities have released close to 10,000 prisoners from the who were jailed under the administration of former Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, a spokesman for the judiciary said.

The Iraqi judiciary is seeking to resolve the cases of thousands of detainees who were imprisoned during the eight-year administration of former Prime Minister Nouri Al-Maliki.  

"The country's courts have released around 9,250 unconvicted detainees," Judge Abdul Sattar Bayrakdar, spokesperson for the judiciary said in a press statement.

"8198 were released during the investigation phase," he said, adding that the remaining were released after trial.

Of the released detainees, 1099 prisoners had originally been charged under Article IV of the Anti-terrorism Act.

Iraqi human rights organisations called on the government to act on the issue of thousands of detainees who still languish in prison since the Maliki administration.

"It's imperative that the judiciary deal with this issue quickly and increase the number of competent committees which track prisoners' files," said Nafa al-Rawi, an Iraqi human rights activist.

"It is imperative that the judiciary deal with this issue quickly and increase the number of competent authorities who are tracking the cases of prisoners."

The Maliki administration saw hundreds of thousands of arrests that have been described as politically motivated. 

Many have alleged numerous human rights abuses in Iraqi prisons. Last year, prisoners alleged that guards force families to pay thousands of dollars to keep them out of solitary confinement, http://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/news/2016/5/24/iraq-has-released-thousands-of-maliki-era-prisonersor pay backhanders through elaborate schemes for access to medicine.

Edited by SocalDinar
  • Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, Synopsis said:

Could be.  Or maybe Maliki will find himself taking a permanent dirt nap real soon.

all i know

is put me behind bars and i am innocent

you better hope i dont get let out

i will be knocking at your door

with death of course

eye for a eye 

this is great news

almost 10 000

wow

that is one hell of a hide and seek game now

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, davis411 said:

all i know

is put me behind bars and i am innocent

you better hope i dont get let out

i will be knocking at your door

with death of course

eye for a eye 

this is great news

almost 10 000

wow

that is one hell of a hide and seek game now

Never know.  Maybe al-Sadr is giving, or going to give, a few key wrongly imprisoned folks a pep talk or fatwa of some sort regarding Maliki.  Pretty sure no one, really, is going to move on those who "rectify" the ill consequence they received by Maliki.

mmm 10,ooo  ...   now they have  a  plus , too the unemployed ,  back pay for the martyr  bunch ,   and  I have to guess that  say  about 1,ooo  are  actually  bad guys  that will go ahead and carry out  the  plan  of attack ----  and  the other 9,ooo   { like  above statements  } will be camped out in malarkeys  front  sand lot  ...   and  a  big hello  too  star  ;) 

1 hour ago, Synopsis said:

Yep.  Now there is an excellent and timely idea.  Let out all the wrongly imprisoned people by Maliki to, well, you know, take care of business.

A-FRICKING AMEN Synopsis!  Tear his WORTHLESS arse from LIMB TO LIMB!!

:bravo::D:lol:

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DinarDavo said:

I thought the Amnesty Bill had to be passed in order to move forward with this.....did I miss something?

"The country's courts have released around 9,250 unconvicted detainees," Judge Abdul Sattar Bayrakdar, spokesperson for the judiciary said in a press statement."

You don't need amnesty if you were never convicted.  Bayrakdar is the new judge recently appointed by Abadi.

• Upvote 3

Abadi continues his steady assault on Malik's misguided reign of terror, pushing through the religious blocs protection, and on to Mr. M's  throat! That's pretty sad when the courts head personnel have to be replaced to get them to follow the directions of the new PM. Tells me even Maliki's stooges were certain Abadi would not live and Malik would be back.....  the ignorance in Iraq is like the grains of sand in Iraq if anyone there ever thought of Maliki as a leader. He is nothing more than a gang land aristocrat..... ?

• Upvote 1