Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

What is the best, effective, organic way to lower my blood pressure and cholesterol?

I am just asking the question, hoping the good folks that follow DV will fill in the blanks. DV-land has not let me down yet. They have actually helped in many ways.

For me, i have been taking BP meds for 15-20 years, and statins for maybe half that time. Currently I take 20 mg of Benicar twice a day. I have cut back on this by one pill a day now and then. Also I take 20 mg Atorvastatin, once a day. I know I need to cut down, or eliminate all these. I feel like I am risking my health, heart, and family when I do. Darned if I keep on taking the meds and darned if I stop them. The other day the Boss (my wife) rattled off a bunch of side effects to "statins" some of which I have. (Sore knees feeling like the tendons are to tight when I deep knee bend.) For the record on my recent annual physical, I am a ok, and my cholesterol levels were perfect. Decent HDL's and good LDL's .

I seek "the best most effective advice" here. Something, a routine, a combination of things, that is preferably organic or at least "healthy" that won't substitute one set of side effects for another. I would hopefully not break the bank, but am willing to spend what is needed. My family is the ultimate prize here. And Grand kids after my children get married.

No pressure on ANYONE this includes Thaiexpat and TankDude, but if you should share stuff ... eh ... that would be Ok too. :D

Thats all for now. Lookin forward to the results ya'll . God Bless You.

I know how I have stated this probably a half-dozen times here on DV  but here it goes again. Niacin 1000 milligrams release all At once twice a day. All my life cholesterol and Trivlisorides was very high. Then the doctor said could drop dead at any minute due to high cholesterol and triglycerides. Prescribed statins and  prescribed niacin and Statin. It helped but I lost insurance. I was having symptoms of dizziness headaches heart palpitations and they were severe. Then I read how doctors normally prescribe Statin and niacin together but niacin is actually what helps you not the Staten but the Statin makes money for everyone so that's why they prescribe it with the niacin. I put myself on niacin since that's the only thing I could afford. Immediately within the next week I felt a difference month better three months better and better now my cholesterol is below 200 and I don't take my Niacin as much as I should. Whenever I start to feel bad I start taking it again and feel much better.

• Upvote 5

I told my doctor how I have been taking niacin for years  so she prescribed me Niacin. Also nasal spray. But now she will not give me a refill on either the niacin or the nasal spray without a another follow-up appointment blood check another follow-up to that. What a scam. I told her forget it

• Upvote 3

Beetroot is very effective at lowering BP. Its a trick you can you prior to visiting the Doc if you need a good result for another purpose. i'm not sure of long term usage as i imagine it has a cleansing effect.

Other methods i use consistently are:

1) drink coconut water...it is plentiful here in the tropics. It helps with electrolyte balance

2) Eat a handful or raw almonds (or walnuts). the monounsaturated fats assist with lowering cholesterol and also reduce inflammation

3) Eat raw cacao (nibs) as the flavonoids reduce stress a precursor to high BP

4) Cayenne pepper. I love spice so it is easy for me. It is a fantastic vasodilator so it works by increasing the blood vessel size and thus improving blood flow. I take 1-2 teaspoons and make a cup of tea usually (with tumeric and ginger as well). You can add a small amount of honey to aid palatability

5) The above reminds me not to neglect Tumeric (curcumin). It is especially good at dealing with inflammation and thus addressing a root cause of elevated BP. It is good for cardiovascular health. I have it on/in everything.... drinks, muesli, all cooked foods. it is fantastic on eggs etc

6) I also eat regularly garlic, raw on some foods, in all my cooking. Apparently it lowers BP and cholesterol as well!

7) probiotics, yogurt and fermented veggies. Gut health is paramount to your overall health and well being. 60-70% of your immune system is activated here by the microbes.

• Upvote 6

jg1 and FlyHi, blessing to you both for the comments.

JG1 consider yourself lucky with the niacin. I wish I could take it and God is my witness on that. I am one of those rare guys that gets the niacin burn real bad. I think I started off at 500 mg tabs ... burn, Split that in half .... burn, and so on. I went down to 50 mgs less burn but still uncomfortable. I told my wife that if this is what a hot flash feels like I feel for you now should you ever get them. If I can find a 50 mg tab of niacin i may try cutting that in half or fourths to see if I can tolerate that and build up to 100 mg or 500 mg tabs over time. Did you have the niacin burn? If so how long did it take to get use to it? 

FlyHi, Good stuff. Question is Coconut water and Coconut milk the same thing? Can you get the same benefit from coconut milk? Cayenne Tea ... hmm I will try that and can testify to the benefits of peppers opening up the veins, vasodialator wise. This comes from living in California and loving spicy Mexican food. As a matter of fact when I have a cold I go to my Mex spot and get a bunch of the cooked green peppers to open the nasal passages and do in that sore throat ... temporarily. Since I love honey we shall see about the tea. I have been taking turmeric tabs, will that be equivalent with the way you use it ya think? Or is it best consumed in foods.  

I will be joining this info with the Gc-maf yogurt I  have gotten into but need to be more frequent a consumer with,  and hopefully develop a program if you will that will incorporate all that I gather. 

NYK

Ps: Guys your suggestions were for a daily dose, correct?r

Edited by new york kevin

NYK, sorry to hear of your intolerance of Niacin...hot Damn!

Yes everything needs to be taken daily, the flora (bacteria) in your gut like consistency of diet, they don't handle  the feast/famine type regime. It is best to keep them happy as they provide 60-70% of our body's immunity

Coconut water is from green coconut...you drink the water inside. Not to be confused with coconut milk which is scrapped mature coconut that can separate out into 'cream' and 'watery liquid'. On another note I would encourage you to source cold pressed virgin coconut oil to take daily for general health, especially nerves and brain but is also a good aid as a metaboliser of body fat. I believe it would help with cholesterol levels too

Tumeric tabs maybe ok depending on the source, they need to be concentrated organic form and bioactive. Dr Mercola site has a good reputation. I would be wary of other sources. Tumeric powder is not as bio available so you need more of it, note, you need a pinch of black pepper to activate it in your body.

Glad to hear you are on the GcMAF wagon, the Doc would say be consistent with that too. I made a batch the other day and got called away for the weekend.... it was over done and not pleasant. Note to self, remember to be watch the batch process!

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, FlyHi said:

NYK, sorry to hear of your intolerance of Niacin...hot Damn!

Yes everything needs to be taken daily, the flora (bacteria) in your gut like consistency of diet, they don't handle  the feast/famine type regime. It is best to keep them happy as they provide 60-70% of our body's immunity

Coconut water is from green coconut...you drink the water inside. Not to be confused with coconut milk which is scrapped mature coconut that can separate out into 'cream' and 'watery liquid'. On another note I would encourage you to source cold pressed virgin coconut oil to take daily for general health, especially nerves and brain but is also a good aid as a metaboliser of body fat. I believe it would help with cholesterol levels too

Tumeric tabs maybe ok depending on the source, they need to be concentrated organic form and bioactive. Dr Mercola site has a good reputation. I would be wary of other sources. Tumeric powder is not as bio available so you need more of it, note, you need a pinch of black pepper to activate it in your body.

Glad to hear you are on the GcMAF wagon, the Doc would say be consistent with that too. I made a batch the other day and got called away for the weekend.... it was over done and not pleasant. Note to self, remember to be watch the batch process!

... Hot damn! Very funny! Love it, a good one.  All of this is very, very appreciated.

• Upvote 1

NOTE: I posted this in another post - the one about avoiding statins, but thought I'd bring it over here too.

I've actually been on PQQ for about a month now.  Noticed a few subtle things like a bit more energy and my short term memory seems a bit better (Which is good - I have a mild TBI that has somewhat effected that part of my brain function) One other thing I've noticed - it's spring her in Montana - and everyone is complaining about their allergies, except me.  So far I have had no sneezing fits, no runny nose, no itchy eyes - even on the days when the Aspen and Cottonwood trees we making it look like it was snowing here. I'm pretty happy about that. I only had a couple of days that I took over the counter stuff last year, but it looks like it will be even less this year.

So - looking at the blood pressure - first I have to say that I'm not practicing medicine - I'm offering advice based on research (hope that satisfies the lawyers) and make sure you consult with your doctor if you act on any of this advice. 

First let's talk diet. I think that's the most important place to start (and I'msure Thaiexpat will agree with me there).  A ketogenic diet has been shown to lower blood pressure and improve lipid levels.  That's because it actually helps control insulin levels, which is really what can cause a rise in your cholesterol. Contrary to popular belief - it's starches and sugars that are the real culprits, not the fats in the diet.  Here is some scientific backing.

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=201882&rel=1

And a good site to find out more about the carb-insulin-cholesterol connection.   http://www.diagnosisdiet.com/food/cholesterol/

Some other things to look at would be your magnesium level.

"Magnesium status has a direct effect upon the relaxation capability of vascular smooth muscle cells and the regulation of the cellular placement of other cations important to blood pressure - cellular sodium:potassium (Na:K) ratio and intracellular calcium (iCa(2+)). As a result, nutritional magnesium has both direct and indirect impacts on the regulation of blood pressure and therefore on the occurrence of hypertension."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15692166

Another possibility is L-Arginine - but make sure you talk to your medical professional about this one. It can actually have some interactions with some medications.  Here is some more info on that.

http://www.rxlist.com/l-arginine-page3/supplements.htm

And finally - my area of interest/emphasis - REDOX biology. The entire vascular system is regulated and repaired by REDOX reactions.  They not only maintain balance, but are vital to survival itself.

For arteriosclerosis, there are 2 key areas that REDOX molecules play a key area - system regulation and inflammation.  A little bit about each.   Here is the site I'm taking this information from:  http://www.theredoxdoc.com/redox-physiology/cardiovascular/

"System Regulation–At the root of autonomic process of the cardiovascular system we find REDOX reactions; auto-regulation of blood pressure, heart rate, and vascular tone. RE­DOX signaling molecules send input to cellular receptors that control each of these.

Our cardiovascular system (like all systems of the body) works best when we are young, at a normal body weight, staying hydrated, eating well, and exercising. But stress, illness, and an unbalanced lifestyle trigger trouble signals and set the stage for oxidative stress. Uncorrected, this can cause chronic cellular damage. Hypertension, atherosclerosis, heart attack, and stroke are all possible results.

Inflammation—In the presence of illness, injury, or another stimulus, the body produces inflammation. REDOX signaling molecules, the “masters” of cellular messaging, call for an infusion of immune cells as part of the body’s natural healing process. The trouble is, as the body addresses the issue, swelling occurs, “bad” cholester­ol is deposited, and vessels can harden and narrow. Correcting this “sickness”-signaling is the way to restore cardiovascular health.

Looking at these factors—and mitigating them—is now becoming a trend in health sci­ence. Strategies to prevent oxidative stress and inflammation are at the forefront. To truly be ahead of the game, it’s going to take thinking beyond simply detecting imbalances. It has to start at the cellular level with the critical REDOX messaging that goes on there. The more we understand REDOX signaling molecules, the more we’ll understand the basis of cardiovascular health."

You can also use your favorite search engine - like Google - and do a search on "oxidative stress and high blood pressure".  In fairly simple terms - Oxidative stress is when the REDOX molecules in the body are out of balance (homeostasis) and the cells are under attack by either inflammation or oxidation.  http://www.theredoxdoc.com/ does a good job of simplifying it in my mind.

On that note -In a recent trial conducted by David C. Nieman, DrPH, FACSM, of Appalachian State University, 106 women consumed four ounces of a Redox Supplement per day for 90 days. The participants showed significant results, experiencing reduced oxidative stress biomarkers.  In particular, they experienced a lowering of the oxidized form of LDL cholesterol, suggesting that the Redox Supplement may contribute to the reduction of oxidative stress and support cardiovascular health. It was also  associated with lower 8-hydroxydeoxyguanosine (8-OHdG), an oxidized nucleoside of DNA and biomarker of generalized, cellular oxidative stress. (In other words - the cells weren't working as hard to repair themselves.)

There's my :twocents:  Hope I at least gave you some direction to do some research.  If you want more information in the Redox Supplement, shoot me a message.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, new york kevin said:

jg1 and FlyHi, blessing to you both for the comments.

JG1 consider yourself lucky with the niacin. I wish I could take it and God is my witness on that. I am one of those rare guys that gets the niacin burn real bad. I think I started off at 500 mg tabs ... burn, Split that in half .... burn, and so on. I went down to 50 mgs less burn but still uncomfortable. I told my wife that if this is what a hot flash feels like I feel for you now should you ever get them. If I can find a 50 mg tab of niacin i may try cutting that in half or fourths to see if I can tolerate that and build up to 100 mg or 500 mg tabs over time. Did you have the niacin burn? If so how long did it take to get use to it? 

FlyHi, Good stuff. Question is Coconut water and Coconut milk the same thing? Can you get the same benefit from coconut milk? Cayenne Tea ... hmm I will try that and can testify to the benefits of peppers opening up the veins, vasodialator wise. This comes from living in California and loving spicy Mexican food. As a matter of fact when I have a cold I go to my Mex spot and get a bunch of the cooked green peppers to open the nasal passages and do in that sore throat ... temporarily. Since I love honey we shall see about the tea. I have been taking turmeric tabs, will that be equivalent with the way you use it ya think? Or is it best consumed in foods.  

I will be joining this info with the Gc-maf yogurt I  have gotten into but need to be more frequent a consumer with,  and hopefully develop a program if you will that will incorporate all that I gather. 

NYK

Ps: Guys your suggestions were for a daily dose, correct?r

I consider it a lifesaver for myself. The first few times yes bur few times yes burn. But as you take it if it's less and less and less and less. The doctor told me if you take a 2 milligram baby aspirin about 10 or 15 minutes before you take the niacin it helps a lo about 10 or 15 minutes before you take it helps  I don't mind the burn because I know it is helping me. Like I said if you take it regularly build up the amount over time you'll be fine. If you have any symptoms like I've described you will see them start to diminish in a week within a month that's even better 6 months everything is gone. You will feel great. Make sure you have some food in your stomach when you take it. I know b I know buy in bulk in powder form and before I got the capsules I was adding it right to water and drinking it. I now buy in bulk in powder form and before I got the capsules I was adding it right to water and drinking it. bad sometimes it would go up my nose Exedra and that's when I would  burn

• Upvote 1

Sorry for th late reply NYK, I have been busy moving to te south part here and no net for about 1 week.

BP: What do you eat?

Cholesterol: What do you eat?

Both are signal for inflammation. What are you doing to piss your insides off? All the things mentioned work: coconut water, oil, meats, niacin, MAGNESIUM + B6, but you've got to look at the very basic fundamentals. You don't need supplmenents if you are wolfing-down Corn Flakes.

OK, hope this helps. Slowing getting back into helping others. To your health

• Upvote 3

Tankdude: Wikipedia states that PQQ is a part of the Redox cofactor, ie:  Pyrroloquinoline quinone (PQQ) was discovered by J.G. Hauge as the third redox cofactor after nicotinamide and flavin in bacteria . This is a good thing I think. What say you?

jg1: I was encouraged by you to try Niacin one more time. I found a 50 mg/tab bottle at Sprouts, a nearby Natural Health Food Grocery Store. $6 I think. Day one I split the tab and took essentially 25 mg after eating breakfast and off to work I went. Slight burn, but really really tolerable. It actually never got "bad" at all. Skip to today, 50 mgs after breakfast, lunch, and dinner; also little to no burn. Food 1st then the niacin is the ticket. Eventually I will get to my goal of 500 mgs a day. This seems to be a normal effective dose from what I can find. Time will tell. 

Fly hi, got a new batch of certified organic Turmeric Curcumin with a Good Manufacturing Practices stamp of approval (a FDA thing I believe), certified organic, and Certified Natural Product,  with the BioPerine that Black Pepper Extract that helps the absorbability of it.

Thaiexpat, I be eating more and more salads, not a easy thing for a carnivore. Also not as bad as I thought it would be. Otherwise a typical American diet, but far less crap than I use to. Smoothies with a good bioavailability of organic proteins, yada yada , all designed to place me on a path of a acidic/alkaline balance. Bravo Gc-maf yogurt also. I need to be more consistant with the yogurt. Starting at as best as I can. I still get sugar and Carne Asada burrito cravings though. There is a snails pace of progress in this last department. Adding cilantro to certain meals is the deal to curbing those.

For those that may be concerned about what I am trying to do, my Dr is aware of my goal. He doesn't really approve of these methods, but is willing to take a try it, wait and see attitude which is all I am really doing myself. Also I myself am a Nurse and have seen first hand what can happen to patients via strict use of Western Medical Philosophys to treat disease processes and general you are just getting old, things. I am intrigued by some of the benefits that some Missionaries report when they seek medical advice in certain European and Asian countries. I check my bp, pulse, and O2 levels 3-4 times a week. With this first week behind me with the low levels of daily niacin, some aches and pains have improved. Due this and other life style changes I think I can now consistantantly stop the 2nd dose of my bp med without apparent risk, per the bp cuff.

Thanks everyone.

• Upvote 1

NYK, wow what an auspcious start to the new you! You are making good lifestyle choices that will continue to put you on the path to good health. Eventually, those craving will go. Yes that is a good turmeric product to use. Try more coconut oil, grass grown butter and avocado in your diet to curb cravings and give the feeling of satiety.

Smoothies are good too but be careful of their source of protein and how it is manufactured. Heat and chemical treatment of any food ingredient is a no no. Hence the message eat whole foods.

Lucky you having access to toys that monitor your vitals at work. That in itself can be motivation to keep on the new path you have chosen.

• Upvote 1

First, what is wrong with being a carnivore? Eating animal FATS is probably the BEST thing you can do for yourself. The SAD is too high in processed foods, grains, etc. Are you eating grains? If so WHY?

What is acid/alkaline diet? No SUCH THING, I have to tell you. Eating veggies will NOT alter the Ph of your blood (if that is your goal), so I wouldn't even bother with that. I have posted a few times on the utter NON-SENSE of such ideas. Now, eating vegetable and fruits are good for you, but butter is even better. My BP is much lower than when I was a vegetarian. My cholesterol dropped like a stone when I went Paleo and then Adapto-keto. (BP: 116/72. TC: 162. Years ago it was: BP: 135/88 TC: 220).

Really, I would correct the diet and stop worrying about those things.

Hope it helps. To your health

FlyHi, Thaiexpat, and jg1,

I have really appreciated your opinions on these " just gettin old " health matters which I have managed to date. Its just that I am looking for effective holistic/homeopathic less toxic to the body's systems, ways of managing them now.  Most appreciated by me are the facts that I view each response as being full experience, knowledge and conviction. Exactly what I wanted, Didn't want the fu fu in-articulated  hippy responses on the exact same subjects. I got one of those from the kind soul I get my Bravo Gc-maf yogurt cultures from, Though what I understood from them was also helpful.

The Paleo Diet, way of cooking and eating food, what ev, is something that has come up on my radar. I am curious about it and will continue looking into it. I have never been a vegetarian and likely never will be. This plan seems to comprise the best of both worlds. I have just begun to incorporate more healthier options into my diet to mitigate various potential and age related matters that may or may not come up. Planning now, before a crisis comes up, and I am gone ... before my time. The ph neutral idea is related to the blood system whereby the body is better attuned to battle invaders, which came from my wife's Nutritionist post Uterine cancer. Ultimately, I want to enjoy grandchildren and life up to the very last second, then boom, step into heaven.

It appears that I will be doing this (paleo thing still being researched) with more natural whole foods, organic raised ways. Cutting way back on sugars, carbs, eliminating processed foods. Plus a handful of supplements, including niacin, turmeric curcumin with bio-perine, vitamin K-2, Pqq, colostrum, and a more steady intake of the Bravo Gc-maf Yogurt. I get the Gc-maf yogurt in the US - 3 months worth for $95 at Bravo co-op, outa Florida.

May God Bless you all , and the RV  a lot sooner than any of us expect. NYK out. For now.

• Upvote 1

No worries NYK. Good to see someone taking a proactive approach while doing due diligence on new ideas before adopting them.

Here is an interesting read on Coconut oil and it benefits.

Benefits of Coconut Oil Are Undeniable

By Dr. Mercola

It seems that coconut oil has been getting a lot of press lately and for many different reasons. It has a number of surprising uses, as a food, certainly, but for many other health-related benefits. Some of them

are quite surprising.

That's why coconut oil seems to have moved from "What is it?" to "It's a !" as people all over the world take stock of what it can do for them.superfood

Nutritionally speaking, the fatty acids in coconut oil lend several health benefits, including improved brain function, stimulating your body's metabolism, generating energy and helping you shed excess body

fat, as has been shown among people from populations that regularly consume high amounts of . Here are several of the best benefits of coconut oil.coconut oil

Coconut Oil Has Fatty Acids That Are Good for You

You may have heard that while saturated fat was once thought to be a leading cause of heart disease, it's now known to be not just beneficial but crucial for good health. The good news: coconut oil is one of

the best sources of saturated fat on the planet. In fact, about 90 percent of the fat content in coconut oil is saturated fat.

Rather than clogging your arteries, damaging your coronary system and putting you on the fast track to a stroke, new information has emerged in a significant meta-analysis,1 which showed no significant

evidence that saturated fat causes any of the above, but is in fact very good for you.

Coconut oil contains medium-chain triglycerides that can have therapeutic benefits for people with certain brain disorders, epilepsy, and may even help prevent Alzheimer's disease.2

Where Coconut Oil Has Been Used, People Thrive

As you look at the civilizations around the world that have consumed coconut oil for decades and even centuries, it's clear there's a difference, medically speaking, between those individuals and those of

the so-called "enlightened" first-world countries.

They seem to be healthier! As an example, individuals in Polynesian populations such as those in Tokelau and Pukapuka, where people tend to eat a lot of coconut, were examined in light of their high

saturated fat intake and low cholesterol and sucrose levels.

Researchers found that "vascular disease is uncommon in both populations and there is no evidence of the high saturated fat intake having a harmful effect."3

Another case in point is the Kitevan people in New Guinea, whose collective diet is untarnished by the food habits of the Western world. Besides eating a lot of tubers, fruit and fish, the people also consume

coconut as a prominent staple.

None of the people involved in the study4 reported stroke, sudden death, weakness, brain diseases, or chest pain related to heavy lifting. Coronary artery disease was nowhere to be found.

The only inference that can be made is that, rather than being sick, weak and diseased, many populations around the world have managed much better than more "progressive" parts of the world on their

traditional diets with the plentiful addition of coconut oil.

Triglycerides, Fat and Where It's At

, and not in a good way.Western dietNo matter where you travel, practically every place has been influenced by the

Where there's obesity in large amounts of the population, there's a very good chance you'll find misguided and destructive eating habits such as low-fat diets along with too much processed, CAFO

(concentrated animal feeding operation) meat and not enough vegetables and healthy sources of fat.

Some believe it's all about calorie intake; however, people who have been paying attention to which foods are actually healthy and which are not understand this isn't really the case. It's about the substance

behind the .calories

Medium-chain fatty acids or triglycerides (MCTs) in coconut oil amount to about two-thirds its total fatty acids. In explanation:5

"Dietary fats are molecules composed of individual carbon atoms linked into chains ranging from two to 22 carbon atoms in length. Long-chain fatty acids (LCTs) ranging from 12 to 18 carbons long are the

predominant form of fat in the American diet.

MCTs, by contrast, are composed of only six to 10 carbon links. Because of their shorter chain length, MCTs have a number of unique properties which give them advantages over the more common LCTs."

The bottom line is, when you eat foods high in medium-chain triglycerides, your body benefits.

Case in point: when seven healthy men were tested for metabolic function in relation to triglycerides, scientists determined that long-term substitution of medium-chain foods for long-chain "would produce

weight loss if energy intake remained constant."6The potential benefit is significant weight loss.

Microorganisms Are Destroyed by Coconut Oil

Lauric acid in coconut oil makes up about half of the fatty acids. In the digestion process, coconut oil morphs into a monoglyceride called monolaurin. Both substances can exterminate harmful pathogens

such as fungi, bacteria and viruses.

Staphylococcus aureus and a common cause of yeast infection, Candida albicans, were two of the most notorious pathogens these coconut oil compounds were able to eradicate in one study7 and candida in another.8

Coconut oil also works on fungal infections such as athlete's foot and ringworm. The European Journal of Pediatrics even reported research showing that blending coconut oil and anise was almost twice as

effective as the commonly prescribed (and toxic) permethrin lotion for treating head lice. According to the review:9

"The spray was significantly more successful (41/50, 82.0 percent) cures compared with permethrin (21/50, 42.0 percent ... ).Per-protocol success was 83.3 percent and 44.7 percent, respectively."

Want to Lose Weight? Coconut Oil Reduces Your Appetite

Many people pay good money in search of a substance that would truly curb their appetite so they would eat less and lose weight. How serendipitous that coconut oil can actually do that for you! The actual

process has to do with how the fatty acids you consume are metabolized.

, created when your body breaks down fat for energy, are an alternative fuel for your brain. They're produced as you digest coconut oil.Ketone bodies

Studies on men consuming the most MCTs at breakfast found they ate less overall at lunchtime.10 Those eating the most MCTs consumed an average of 256 fewer calories on a daily basis.11

The ketogenic diet, featuring low carb and high fat intake, has applications in relation to treating a number of other health problems. Significantly, it's been shown to reduce epileptic seizures in drug-resistant

children12 as well as other individuals with epilepsy.

At the New York Obesity Research Center at Columbia University, researchers reported:13

"Consumption of medium-chain triglyceride oil as part of a weight loss plan improves weight loss compared with olive oil and can thus be successfully included in a weight loss diet. Small changes in the

quality of fat intake can therefore be useful to enhance weight loss."

Coconut Oil Can Upgrade Your Blood Cholesterol Levels

As previously discussed, coconut is loaded with healthy saturated fat, but it does nothing to diminish the health of your blood lipid profile as the food and medical industries has for decades tried to tell you. In

fact, saturated fats raise your HDL (good) cholesterol while transforming your LDL. According to the data:14

"A high saturated fat intake … is associated with increased concentrations of larger, cholesterol-enriched LDL and this occurs in association with decreased HL [hepatic lipase] activity."

Consuming coconut oil helps you to maintain optimal cholesterol levels. One study involving 40 women showed that when put up against soybean oil consumption, coconut oil increased HDL and lowered

LDL to HDL ratio while decreasing waist circumference. On the other hand, soybean oil led to decreases in beneficial HDL.15 

Coconut Oil as a Toiletry, a Cleaner — Even an Insect Repellent

If you haven't had a chance to explore all the extraordinary uses for coconut oil, you may be in for a pleasant surprise. Besides its ability to promote heart health and squelch the risk of stroke, it's been shown

to strengthen your immune system even as you attain .soft, supple skin

Coconut oil works well as a facial cleanser and makes a great shaving lotion. Slathering it on dry, lifeless hair for 15 minutes helps restore lost moisture and shine.

While it doesn't impart the minty aftertaste that most toothpastes pride themselves on, using it before bed helps not only freshen your breath, but kills bacteria that cause plaque and other problems, without

the fluoride (and if you miss the minty taste, just add a drop of peppermint essential oil). If you're looking for a natural deodorant that will last and won't pose potential health risks from added aluminum,

thoroughly mix:

·         3 Tbsp. organic coconut oil

·         3 Tbsp. non-GMO cornstarch or arrowroot powder

·         3 Tbsp. baking soda

·         2 drops of essential oil of your choice, or a pinch of clove powder

As for the , a good recipe combines coconut oil with a high-quality essential oil such as peppermint, lemon balm, rosemary, tea tree or vanilla, which may help keep insects from biting, as opposed to

applying toxic sprays like DEET.insect repellent

What You Don't Know CAN Harm You

In spite of all the clinical verification to the contrary, the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) still maintains there's "no good evidence" that coconut oil performs any of the above functions. CSPI

even contradicts recommendations that people switch from vegetable oils, including , to coconut oil for better health.canola oil

In another decidedly ignorant move, CSPI fell in lock-step with the biotech industry for profit with the announcement that "fear" of GMOs is "irrational" and that GMO foods are "safe to eat."

At the same time, a statement signed by 300 scientists, researchers, physicians, and scholars was published contending that claims of GMO safety have been "falsely perpetuated." Clearly, somebody is not

telling the truth or has not done their due diligence to figure it out.

That's not the only discrepancy in the world of pseudo science that purports to be in the interest of human health. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) came forward with a declaration that, as of

2018, partially hydrogenated oils (aka trans fat) would no longer be allowed in food unless authorized by the agency because of potential health risks. Yet the FDA was in the forefront of getting trans fats into

the marketplace in the 1980s.

In the 1980s, CSPI actually spearheaded a highly successful campaign against the use of healthy saturated fats, touting trans fats as a healthier alternative, so take their official stance against coconut oil

with a (big) grain of salt. In spite of the naysayers, the real science speaks. Coconut oil has undergone the trials that prove its benefits are, indeed, undeniable

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/05/30/health-benefits-coconut-oil.aspx?utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art3&utm_campaign=20160530Z3&et_cid=DM107071&et_rid=1505989031

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

FlyHi: That info is great . Thank you for sharing that.  I will heed the call on that one, actually already have if the spray can of Trader Joes Coconut oil counts. Probably won't but I am trying. I will have a jar of coconut oil for cooking or throwing into a smoothie by Friday . I will keep in right next to my olive oil. No more veto oil in my house. 

If anyone cares, today I took a 100 mg dose of Niacin with breakfast, just to see how it may go. One hour later and after eating a decent breakfast, not so bad. A tiny bit more of a flush than just 1    50mg tab. Not yet ready to say to soon on the -00 mugs dose yet, close but not quite yet. After last nights brief workout, bp 153/92 , a to be expected range shortly after a workout. A good aerobic and fat burning range. This a.m. Before,taking anything bp was 130/83. Still no second dose of th bp med the MD gave. Progress, it's a good thing .

• Upvote 2

On 5/28/2016 at 10:05 AM, new york kevin said:

FlyHi, Thaiexpat, and jg1,

I have really appreciated your opinions on these " just gettin old " health matters which I have managed to date.

If you don't mind - thought I'd chime in on this part.  Most of the aging complaints have their root in REDOX (ROS/OS) imbalance. They are now finding that these REDOX molecules play a critical role.

Until relatively recently, these molecules were thought to be potentially toxic by-products of cellular respiration. They needed to be eliminated,  or they would inflict cellular damage . Accrual of such damage over time was postulated to be responsible for the deterioration and eventual the death of the organism.  However, there are now indications that this resulting structural damage alone does not satisfactorily explain age-associated functional losses. 

REDOX molecules have now been found to be vital for signal transduction, gene regulation, and redox regulation, implying that their elimination would be "bad". An alternative “redox stress hypothesis” proposes that aging functional losses are primarily caused by a slow pro-oxidizing shift in the redox state of the cells, leading to overoxidation of redox-sensitive protein thiols (thus impacting glutathione and catalase production) and the consequent disruption of the redox-regulated signaling mechanisms. These mechanisms control apooptosis, antioxidant activation, inflammation response, immune system response and even mast cell activation.

Here area a couple of abstracts from  articles related to this: 

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0891584911011099

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10206339

http://www.nature.com/cr/journal/v16/n2/full/7310031a.html

What most people don't know is that while your body makes these molecules all the time, you actually hit peak production in your early teens. One of the reasons I supplement the way I do is to restore the homeostasis of these molecules on the cellular level. This and diet is why I have been able to get off my blood pressure meds (hydrochlorothiazide in my case - not a big one but still a medication) I'm also off of my antidepressants (buproprian) and I no longer need daily doses of NSAIDs for the pain of a degenerative condition in my ankle - and have fought off surgery for my ankle for about 8 years now.    (My doctor is still trying to figure out why it's not getting worse.) 

I firmly believe you give the cells what they need, they will fix themself. Healthy  It's what They are designed to do! Healthy cells = healthy tissue = healthy organs = healthy systems. Yep - it's a pyramid scheme....*LOL*

OK - that's my  :twocents:

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

Just a little update folks. Started out with the 25 mg dose of Niacin, what end of May. Today I was able to start taking 250 mg. To manage cholesterol it is recommended to take 1000 mg - 3000 mg of Niacin (from nicotinic acid to be effective. Not from the other source.). If I can work it up to 500 mg at a pop, with breakfast, lunch, and dinner, I will be in the ball park. Getting the body use to these doses just takes time. As others have said take it only with meals. I would further recommend that you take it with a cold non-carbonated drink, after eating the meal. This seems to really help me to practically eliminate the burn. Which in turn allows me to up my dose.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, new york kevin said:

Just a little update folks. Started out with the 25 mg dose of Niacin, what end of May. Today I was able to start taking 250 mg. To manage cholesterol it is recommended to take 1000 mg - 3000 mg of Niacin (from nicotinic acid to be effective. Not from the other source.). If I can work it up to 500 mg at a pop, with breakfast, lunch, and dinner, I will be in the ball park. Getting the body use to these doses just takes time. As others have said take it only with meals. I would further recommend that you take it with a cold non-carbonated drink, after eating the meal. This seems to really help me to practically eliminate the burn. Which in turn allows me to up my dose.

To minimize the after affects of taking Niacin, doctor told me to take a baby aspirin about 15 min before the niacin. No pain no gain. Niacin release all at once is the best bet. 

Get the word out if it helps you. As far as I am concerned its a life saver for me. ya baby. 

• Upvote 1

There is a company Called Unicity, that used to make a product called BiosLife. It lowered cholesterol naturally. It was one of the few natural products mentioned in the PDR Physicians Desk Reference to lower cholesterol. They have changed the name to Balance Cholesterol, supposedly an improvement because it helps balance blood sugar also and aids in weight control due to the high content of fiber. It is pricey, but if you have no other options and want to research the product, you can find it at www.unicity.com. Not involved with the company in any way but know people who have used their products and swear by them. Good Luck. I hope you fine a solution that is not as dangerous as the expensive statins.

• Upvote 1