Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Forget Prozac -Try Probiotics to Ease Anxiety, Curb Depression and Elevate Mood

FlyHi

http://wakeup-world.com/2013/01/15/forget-prozac-try-probiotics-to-ease-anxiety-curb-depression-and-elevate-mood/

prozac-300x225.jpg

By Carolanne Wright

Contributing Writer for Wake Up World

Could eating yogurt be a replacement for antidepressants? A group of scientists believe so. Groundbreaking research has shown that a common strain of probiotic can create GABA within the gut while also enhancing brain receptors for this neurotransmitter. Naturally produced GABA is a safe alternative to dangerous psychiatric drugs — it calms the nervous system, promotes tranquil sleep, minimizes anxiety and alleviates depression. This is good news for over 50 million people around the world who use antidepressants.

Perils of a Prozac nation

With a 400 percent increase of antidepressant use from 1994-2008, it looks as though the United States certainly is a Prozac Nation. An astounding one in five women between the ages of 40-59 use Prozac while nearly four percent of adolescents are on antidepressants. Second only to cholesterol drugs, prescriptions for antidepressants rose to an incredible 255 million in 2010 alone. World-wide, the sale of antidepressants totals over 20 billion dollars a year. This industry does not come without serious health risks. Side-effects of antidepressant drugs include:

– Sexual dysfunction

– Insomnia

– Fatigue

– Nausea

– Blurred vision

– Constipation

– Restlessness, anxiety, agitation

As if the above were not disheartening enough, antidepressants have been linked with increased suicide rates. There has to be a better way to foster emotional harmony.

The sunny side of probiotics

A common bacteria may hold the answer as a safe, natural and economical solution for depression along with its siblings — anxiety and insomnia. Canadian neuroscientist Jane Foster found that the microflora of the gut have a significant connection with the central nervous system. “The cross talk between the gut biome and the brain is continual. That’s the important take-home message. These are not two separate systems; they are two parts of a single system,” says Foster in the Psychology Today article “Your Back-up Brain.”

John Cryan of the Alimentary Pharmabiotic Centre at University College Cork in Ireland has taken this idea further by studying how lactobacillus bacteria in the gut specifically influence the brain. Cryan discovered that lactobacillus actually alters the brain-cell receptors for GABA in a positive manner, thereby reducing anxious behavior. The bacteria not only create more GABA receptors, but also produce the neurotransmitter itself which then circulates in the blood. All of this has a profound impact on emotional balance and the nervous system. As observed by Emily Deans, MD, “GABA is a nice glass of wine in front of the fire. GABA is restful sleep. GABA is tranquility and yoga.”

It’s easy to cultivate a healthy dose of this calming neurotransmitter by traveling no further than the refrigerator. Simply enjoy foods like yogurt, kefir, miso, tempeh, kimchi or sauerkraut. After all, everyone could use a little GABA boost now and then.

• Upvote 6

Great post, FlyHi. I just heard of this in Dec. Gut flora influencing brain function. one of the docs who "suicide himself" (by accident, of course), was working with autistic children. He found by using Mircobiome (Gc-MAF product) in conjunction with hyperbaric chamber use improved out-comes. He had the children eat and hold in their mouths the yogurt for as long as possible while under PSI (I don't know the ATA, but I commonly use 1.7ATA with autistic kids). Getting the good flora established/entrenched in these kids seemed to have really helped their behavior. So, why not with depression, anxiety? Makes total sense to me.

GALT (Gut-associated Lymphatic tissue) and SIgA (Secretory IgA) of the gut have been shown to promote signaling to the brain. Your brain knows what your body is eating, stressor involved (hence immune response, if needed) and inflammation within the intestinal lining. Its ALL CONNECTED.

Again, good posts ALL. Cheers and to your health

Forgot to mention the words of Dr. M. Stein: A drug can NEVER act like a nutrient, but a nutrient can always act a drug. No one is drug deficient. They are only NUTRIENT deficient.....

Edited by Thaiexpat
  • Upvote 3

I've been following this the last few months also. My daughter has a fairly significant medical condition, and I have had her taking a probiotic supplement (as well as a redox supplement) and trying to get her to eat more fermented vegetables (not too tough since she loves pickles and kimchi).  In my research I found that fermented vegetables - like kimchi and sauerkraut and pickles - actually have more probiotics than fermented milk products. Of course making it yourself is better because most of the commercial stuff is pasteurized, which kills a lot of the beneficial bacteria.

"It's unusual to find a probiotic supplement containing more than 10 billion colony-forming units. But when my team actually tested fermented vegetables produced by probiotic starter cultures, they had 10 trillion colony-forming units of bacteria. Literally, one serving of vegetables was equal to an entire bottle of a high potency probiotic! So clearly, you're far better off using fermented foods."

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/05/12/dr-campbell-mcbride-on-gaps.aspx

I'm now making my own sauerkraut - used to do it as a kid with my dad, so it's kind of come full circle.  Daughter wants me to learn to make kimchi so I can control the spice in it.

• Upvote 2

Sounds like you are on the right track with your daughters health Tank.

Perhaps you can share you recipe and method for making both sauerkraut and kimchi once you sort that one. 

We don't normally find cabbage over here but once in a blue moon someone will import and it rushes out the door by the ecstatic expat community.

I live well out of town so often miss out as we don't get to hear about these events in time. So its bush tucker for us, especially now as we have been in drought for nigh 5 months. Luckily I do have a source of water cress that we access once a week! 

• Upvote 1

Thanks FlyHi!  I've been hearing a lot about this lately too.

28psychobiotics1-articleLarge-v10.jpg

Can the Bacteria in Your Gut Explain Your Mood?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/28/magazine/can-the-bacteria-in-your-gut-explain-your-mood.html?_r=0

And then there's this... saw it on the news last night...  :blink:

Boost C-section babies by giving them vaginal bacteria   

Babies born by caesarean section have different gut bacteria to those born conventionally

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2075768-boost-c-section-babies-by-giving-them-vaginal-bacteria/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qisHfpI5QE

How to make Kimchi

This is where i got my recipe - this one is very tasty to me.

I someone has a better one Please share

Looks really good - too hot for me though  :blush:

I make sauerkraut in March (when cabbage goes down to under 10 cents a pound) and can it in April.  Cheap and easy!  Only 4 ingredients... Cabbage, salt, elbow grease and time.   :soon:

Ohhhh... I should make sarma this year (stuffed cabbage rolls).  

I'm gonna need a bigger crock... :lol:

• Upvote 5

***///

Are those little Dannon ProBiotic drinks ya get at the grocery store good enough?  

How many would one have to drink?  :confused2:

Hahahaha! Sure, if you dont mind all the SUGAR they pack into that stuff. Make it yourself! Easy: boil milk, add any yogurt (like that Dannon stuff), keep warm and in 6-8 hours you are living the yogurt life

Cheers

• Upvote 2

Those are great too. traditional cultures use fermented foods so much in their daily diet. I eat natto daily. Keep in mind, if you start adding a lot of fermented foods and you develop indigestion problems, consider you might suffer from SIBO, which is promoted with these foods. Lay-off for a bit and then start again. You shouldnt be away from fermented foods for more than 2 weeks.

Cheers and to your health

• Upvote 1

Thanks FlyHi!  I've been hearing a lot about this lately too.

28psychobiotics1-articleLarge-v10.jpg

Can the Bacteria in Your Gut Explain Your Mood?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/28/magazine/can-the-bacteria-in-your-gut-explain-your-mood.html?_r=0

And then there's this... saw it on the news last night...  :blink:

Boost C-section babies by giving them vaginal bacteria   

Babies born by caesarean section have different gut bacteria to those born conventionally

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2075768-boost-c-section-babies-by-giving-them-vaginal-bacteria/

Looks really good - too hot for me though  :blush:

I make sauerkraut in March (when cabbage goes down to under 10 cents a pound) and can it in April.  Cheap and easy!  Only 4 ingredients... Cabbage, salt, elbow grease and time.   :soon:

Ohhhh... I should make sarma this year (stuffed cabbage rolls).  

I'm gonna need a bigger crock... :lol:

Sarma, is that also know as glumpkies. I likely mis-spelt that a friend of mines Mom use to lake them and they were great. Greasy but great.

• Upvote 3

P,S.I am going to try that Gc-MAF Bravo Yogurt, I should have it by this weekend and the Miron Violet Glass bottles as well. It sounds so amazing from all the research I have found on the internet thanks to the seeds of info Thaiexpat gave me. I found a co-op site in the USA Bravo Coop that buys it in bulk based on orders received and passes the lower costs on to the customers. Its all from the good Dr Ruggiero Gc-MAF origins from Italy/Switzerland. The typical one month supply is typically $150 US.  I bought one for $100. Thats for starters.

• Upvote 3

Hahahaha! Sure, if you dont mind all the SUGAR they pack into that stuff. Make it yourself! Easy: boil milk, add any yogurt (like that Dannon stuff), keep warm and in 6-8 hours you are living the yogurt life

Cheers

***///

What's the ratio...? :confused2:   Like a cup of Milk & a dollop of Live Culture Greek Yogurt or what...?  :confused2:

And what kind of Milk... Vitamin D pasteurized, Raw Milk, Goat Milk or what...?

(good thing we're pretty 'cause we ain't too smart...  :mellow:  :wacko: )

:P  :lol:

Edited by SgtFuryUSCZ
  • Upvote 2

Since we're talking depression and mental health - I would be remiss if I didn't bring this on up also.

"In the last several years, oxidative stress has received much attention with regards to psychiatric illnesses including depression and oxidative stress and has been proposed as a contributing factor in the pathogenesis of depression. Several lines of evidence indicate involvement of oxidative and nitrosative stress in the pathophysiology of major depression [MDD]. Increased levels of ROS and RNS in MDD, including peroxide and NO and altered levels of antioxidant defenses, such as glutathione [GSH] in the postmortem MDD brain have been demonstrated. Accordingly, oxidative and nitrosative [O&NS] mechanisms have been proposed as targets for novel antidepressants. This is not surprising considering that depression is known to be accompanied by inflammation, oxidative and nitrosative stress. In fact, significantly lower plasma concentrations of several key antioxidants, such as vitamin E, zinc and coenzyme Q10, as well as lower antioxidant enzyme activity, have been reported in major depression. Association between depression and poly-morphisms in genes involved in oxidative pathways, including manganese superoxide dismutase [sOD] and catalase [CAT] is also known. Recent studies suggest that oxidative and nitrosative stress pathways may contribute to the patho-genesis of depression by interacting with neurogenesis/neuroplasticity, neuroinflammation and monoamine reuptake process. The current thought is that the antidepressants exert their therapeutic effect by suppressing proinflammatory cytokines and ROS/RNS production or enhancing anti-oxidant defense.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3964745/

So again Redox Signalaing Molecules can play an important part in helping to govern this because they are small - 2-4 molecules in size. This means they can cross the blood brain barrier and help the mitochondria in the brain adjust to what is happening in these oxidative pathways.

http://www.theredoxdoc.com/rsm-what-are-they/

• Upvote 1

***///

What's the ratio...? :confused2:   Like a cup of Milk & a dollop of Live Culture Greek Yogurt or what...?  :confused2:

Yep pretty funny.... and too smart for your own good.

Remember the good ole days when you would drink fresh warm milk straight form the cow...well that is the best stuff to use....raw milk (goat is alright as well).

Personally I wouldn't want to boil my raw milk as it has really beneficial enzymes that are destroyed by boiling. Just make sure it is from a good reliable source with no TB or other nasty pathogens.

I'm not sure if you have EasiYo Yogurt maker in the States or Panama but is a simple way to create a warm environment  (a warm water jacket around the raw milk culture mix) and makes about 1 litre of yogurt.

Essentially pour raw milk into your container and add a couple of good dollops of your live culture. Stir, then cover and place in a warm water bath (it depends on your inside ambient temperature and leave for around 8 hours.

It should be set before placing in the fridge for use. Enjoy!

• Upvote 1

Sarma, is that also know as glumpkies. I likely mis-spelt that a friend of mines Mom use to lake them and they were great. Greasy but great.

Hi Kevin! YES - sarma is Serbian, golumpki is Polish! Basically ground beef or pork and beef, rice, egg, onion, garlic, salt and pepper rolled into a boiled cabbage leaf and simmered in a tomato sauce. Mine are not greasy but there are recipes that call for adding extra fat to meat mixture (like olive oil) to keep it moist (water works fine). I serve mine on a bed of warm sauerkraut with sauce ladled over it.

If you want to go all the way... make sauerkraut cabbage leaves

• Upvote 4

***///

OK, this is what i have learned over the years in making my own stuff. Raw milk is the BEST. It is creamy, thick and the taste is the best. However, if you dont boil it from the start, you will need to ADD powdered milk and the fermenting times are a lot longer. Boiling the milk will not destroy all the goodies: pasteurization DOES and they are not the same. That is high temps under pressure and a fast release of pressure which basically sterilizes the stuff.

So, bring to boil (goat, cow), stir constantly, when it gets all foamy and rises, you're at the right temp (I think its 116 F). Cool and add ANY yogurt (from the store) or buy some "Yogurt Stater" which is the more expensive form to adding any ol' yogurt already made.

Place in yogurt-maker machine to maintain a temp which will allow it to ferment. This cuts the time down to 6 hours (verses 12-14 if you dont boil the milk). You can add fruit/jams/whatever before you place it into the yogurt-maker. I have a 7-cup unit and throw in whatever fruit I have (coconut, mangoes, etc) to make it more interesting. All small cuts pieces. good for 1 week.

I used to NOT boil my raw milk, but it just makes my times longer (and the adding of milk powder), but it remained pretty soft and runny. Besides, you are ADDING good bacteria after it cools, so it will have a ton of bacteria when done anyways. 

Hope this helps and cheers

Oh, forgot to mention:

Container size will determine how much you make. I found with my 7-cup unit, 1 liter topped them all off. So I get 1 liter at a time for this. A good spoon of yogurt added to this will work. remember, the bacteria will GROW in the right conditions, almost any amount of pre-made yogurt will work. 

if you attempted to make 50 gals off of 1 spoon, that might not work! hahaahaha. Just be reasonable.

• Upvote 1