Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

How to remove the Windows 10 GWX upgrade nonsense

Markinsa

How to remove the Windows 10 GWX upgrade nonsense

Updated: June 3, 2015

The story goes as follows. Several days ago, on one of my Windows 7 boxes, I did some updates. Cool beans, Then, a couple of days later, I suddenly noticed a Windows 10 like icon in my system tray. Turns out, this one belongs to a process called GWX.exe, and it is a part of Windows update KB3035583, which is deceptively labeled as an important one and preselected, intended to give Windows 7 and 8.X users an option to freely upgrade to Windows 10. Well, so far so good.

But then, I decided I was not interested. However, removing this thing off proved to be a very difficult task. I could not disable the scheduled tasks that reactivates the process every few hours, and you need special permissions to edit the folder containing the gwx.exe binary. In other words, all of a sudden, my perfectly reasonable Windows 7 has been altered without my consent, and now I did not have freedom to do what I want. This annoyed me so much that I started writing a tutorial on how to get rid of this piece of ****. Follow me.

Click on Above Link for detailed instructions:

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the up date.

I too tried it however W10 was not compatable with my printer and switched it back with the help of my computer Guru.

I have given him the link and if he gives me any information that seems valuable I will pass it along.

Thanks Markinsa.

Thanks alot for this, Markinsa.  I've been toying with the idea of upgrading to 10  (I'm on 8 now), but this sure makes me want to run the opposite direction.    The question is,  will they come out with something better and more user-friendly a year or so down the road, if I just sit tight with what I have?  It seems like we are eventually forced to move forward, even when we're happy where we are.   :(   

I bought a new laptop a few months ago (Alienware 15) it came with windows 10 and I must admit it is so much better than the previous versions, my last laptop was an XPS studio 16 running on windows 7 it served me well for the years I had it, but there is no going back now.

the missus still has windows 8 on her laptop and I don't know how she uses it , I find it the most annoying thing ever.

• Upvote 1