Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Leader of Christian group adjusts incorrect doomsday prediction: 'Soon'

umbertino

Chris McCann of the eBible fellowship admits it was ‘surprising’ the world did not end on 7 October but says they will ‘keep studying the Bible’ for clues

Adam Gabbatt

Thursday 8 October 2015 19.36 BST

The leader of a Christian group who claimed that the world would end on Wednesday has admitted his prediction was “incorrect”.

Chris McCann, head of the eBible fellowship, warned that the planet would be destroyed “with fire” on 7 October. This did not happen.

“Since it is now 8 October it is now obvious that we were incorrect regarding the world’s ending on the 7th,” McCann said.

McCann originally told the Guardian that by Thursday the world would be “gone forever: annihilated”. McCann based his claim on an earlier prediction by Christian radio host Harold Camping, who said the world would end on 21 May 2011. Camping’s forecast also turned out to be incorrect.

As the clock struck 12 in timezones around the globe, turning Wednesday into Thursday, it became apparent that the planet had not been destroyed. McCann, who is based in Philadelphia, said on Thursday it was “surprising” that the world was still in existence.

Prior to 7 October he said there was a “strong likelihood” the world would be rent asunder, but did admit there was a chance he could be incorrect.

“Well, a strong likelihood means that something was pretty well set to happen (in this case according to the biblical evidence),” he said. “Yet there is a possibility it may not happen.

“So it was surprising that it did not occur. But the comforting thing is that God’s will is always perfect.”

In 2011 Camping used his radio station, Family Radio, to notify people that the world would end. When that turned out to be incorrect, he revised his prediction to October 2011. That also turned out to be incorrect, and Camping retired from public life soon after. He died in 2013, at the age of 93.

The eBible Fellowship believed that Camping’s 21 May 2011 was actually “judgment day”. The fellowship thus claimed the world would end 1,600 days from that date: hence 7 October 2015.

McCann said “one of the big pieces of evidence” in his prediction was that 7 October 2015 was the last day of the Feast of the Tabernacles, or Sukkot. (Most online sources say Sukkot ended on 5 October.)

“Once the last day of the feast passed it soon became apparent that we were incorrect about the world’s conclusion on [7 October],” McCann said.

While the world did not end, McCann said on Thursday it would be obliterated “soon”.

“I also know that God knows exactly when that end will come,” he said. “So we’ll keep studying the Bible to see what we can learn.”

1000.jpg?w=700&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10
Earth: still floating through the solar system intact … for now.
Photograph: Nasa/Dscovr/EPA

• Upvote 2

Seriously?

Did he really say "soon"...?

Yep ! I heard it too . . .   :soon:  . . . the nerve of some people. This McCann cat: he wouldn't be one of those Irish-Iraqi Catholics E-Bible sects from the Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Agony -  cuz they say SOON a lot as well.

I've probably riled up the Catholics now.

While the world did not end, McCann said on Thursday it would be obliterated “soon”.

He must be a real 'pleasant' chap to be around. Sad that so many actually believe

guys like him. What happens that so many have such a dark outlook when it comes

to these things? Following those who twist and make scripture say what they want

is dangerous and deceptive, but I know a few of these clowns have sold a lot of books

over the last year or so making their "god told me" claims, and the worst part is not

that they are always wrong, it is that so few admit to it, but they love the followers

money.

I hope people begin to learn for themselves instead of following these types and being

duped. These 'experts' make God out to be just like themselves, hateful and dark. They

turn the creator into a creature after their manner of their own heart.

Thanks Umberto :) Hope you are well my friend.

• Upvote 2

Thanks Umberto :) Hope you are well my friend.

End Quote

Hello Jim...I'm doing fairly ok and hope same for you, my Friend.

Hey Umbert,

next time the world is going to end, I would like to know beforehand. There's a couple I things I would've liked to have done.

Thanks in advance,

Hooter

If I happen to hear about it...I'll make sure to let  you know right away...Word....Smile