Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Adam Montana weekly 30 September 2015

Adam Montana

Don't make me start calling you all a bunch of weird names... I've got an arsenal and you don't want to bring out that part of me!

Come on, DV! If you can't donate, fine... but bump the thread and thank one of the 300+ that are on the sheet I posted!

All you have to do is reply to this thread. Or pull out that dusty $10 bill that you've been sitting on since you thought you'd get 

to take your sweetheart to "The Horse In Motion (1878)"  and it didn't happen, and ever since then you've been sitting on that 

$10 bill and hating everyone and everything.

Shoot... that's not even possible, is it? Nope. 

Well, maybe you got a chuckle out of my error, and NOW you have a reason!

Click the darn link! I don't care if you donate $10 or $10,000. Or nothing, for that matter. We are doing something great here, 

and if you can be part of it I WANT YOU TO. 

:twothumbs:

---->>>> http://goo.gl/VIuNeb  <<<<----

Let's go everyone! Tallyhooooooo!!!!

HA ADAM UR THE MAN THANKS SO MUCH

I'm just working to keep you posting my friend! 

:twothumbs:

• Upvote 4

Ok, I have a serious question to you, the wise and knowledgable members here.

I want to make the most of our cash, but I don't have a lot of time to do a ton of free time.

We have 12-15k in funds to buy rice, beans, flour, etc.

I haven't started doing the math yet, but it sounds like a lot of dough. (lol)

Does anyone know of a better way to spend the money, rather than going to something like a Costco?

Like I said, I don't have a lot of time. I want to get this out to them ASAP, and if that means we don't spend the money 100% efficiently... I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep over it.

What's most important right now is that we get this job done, and learn from it because we can probably do this at least once a year for some good cause or another.

Back to the question... is Costco or Sams Club a good option? Or does anyone have a better idea?

:tiphat:

Check for a wholesale distributor in the area you're shipping out of for the things you want and let them know what it is for.  I'll bet they'd love to help out. You'd could also contact Sam's and Costco and let them know what you are doing and see if they'd add to the discount. You never know unless you ask. :twothumbs:

• Upvote 2

Check for a wholesale distributor in the area you're shipping out of for the things you want and let them know what it is for.  I'll bet they'd love to help out. You'd could also contact Sam's and Costco and let them know what you are doing and see if they'd add to the discount. You never know unless you ask. :twothumbs:

I do plan on doing exactly that. If you're willing to put in the effort it will be greatly appreciated!

Please post what you've done and your results so other members don't repeat. I know we will do some amazing things here!

Would you be willing to make the first call? If not, I will. Just give me the number.

• Upvote 1

I do plan on doing exactly that. If you're willing to put in the effort it will be greatly appreciated!

Please post what you've done and your results so other members don't repeat. I know we will do some amazing things here!

Would you be willing to make the first call? If not, I will. Just give me the number.

What City will you be loading the Container?

-

• Upvote 1

Hey Adam I'm not American nor do I live anywhere near there but here are some practical suggestions from my current experience in third world tropical places.

Try a wholesaler as Markinsa suggested and get them to understand what is being attempted in assisting these forgotten people.

Don't get too fancy on the item list. They need basics only at this stage. Also they will have no places to store stuff and rain will be a continual threat to perishables like flour (unless it comes cheaply in a bucket....which is a god send to these people as it has more uses!)

Put the majority of the $ towards rice as it keeps better than flour. Some cooking oil and salt are always well received. Cheap canned goods are a treat especially things like tinned fish.

Collapsable water storage/transport bottles for household use are welcomed.

Heck if there is space in the container throw in any second hand clothing that is gifted.

Remember to keep an itemized list of everything loaded into the container for customs purposes.

Good luck!

• Upvote 4

What's up...Just got in out the Bayou...Tryin' to catch me my electric bill this month...been rough since the shop fire last November...The rice deal aint no biggy...The siloes down south are fillin' and they'll got as many sacks as ya want to throw in the back of a Bowtie...I can chip in 20 bucks if someone can bring me up to speed on a Debit-card donation...

• Upvote 1

.........................Those rice sacks are in 100 lb. sacks...I'm not sure if there's a minimum purchase or not. I've seen personnel pick-ups loading sacked rice in the back of their trucks while I was delivering there. This was 10 years ago....  

Adam, 

I pulled up a wholesale supplier in the Miami area. It looks to be close to the water as well. It's called Rex's Discount Wholesale. I'd be happy to call and see about brokering a deal with them. I have no money to contribute at this time, (new babies are incredibly expensive), but I can give you my time and people skills to help make this happen. According to their website they sell everything we'd need.

Off the top of my head, I'd say we want to send batteries, water, toilet paper, and non perishable food items? If you can get me a list of what we need I'll be glad to make some calls and help coordinate. I want to help.

• Upvote 3

Sandfly for all you do Adam and Mods....and I'm sure whatever we can come up with will help.  I've known what it's like to be broke...and every little bit is a blessing!   Remember though...even if you don't feel like you can swing a donation...your time, your heartfelt thoughts and prayers are always needed....everyone can do that!!! ;)   :twothumbs: 

Edited by RodandStaff
  • Upvote 2

Adam, 

I pulled up a wholesale supplier in the Miami area. It looks to be close to the water as well. It's called Rex's Discount Wholesale. I'd be happy to call and see about brokering a deal with them. I have no money to contribute at this time, (new babies are incredibly expensive), but I can give you my time and people skills to help make this happen. According to their website they sell everything we'd need.

Off the top of my head, I'd say we want to send batteries, water, toilet paper, and non perishable food items? If you can get me a list of what we need I'll be glad to make some calls and help coordinate. I want to help.

I have a call in to Costco right now, Miami.

They are willing to load our 20x8x8 container with pallets... my contact explained that we can't double stack a 20' container, so they will load the pallets as high as possible. There will be some wasted space, but that's not horrible.

I have no idea what $15,000 will buy... if we can fill a 40' container, they can double stack the pallets. 

If you want to call Rex and get his suggestions and see if he will beat Costco's price and also load the container for us on Monday, that would be awesome!

Like I said, we've got about $15,000 to spend and we want:

Dry Beans
Rice
Flour
Cooking Oils
Diapers
femcare - tampons etc
  • Upvote 3

Not double stacking pallets in a 20 foot container must have something to do with dot weight regulations.

I have hauled these things and they are sealed when you get them in a port. So I do find it interesting and good to know.

I also find it good to know that Costco will load the thing for us. Of course when you spend $15,000 there,LOL, I guess that's not really surprising.LOL

This entire affair fills me with such joy and lift my spirit high. I truly wish the people of Dominica goodwill

Edited by ladyGrace'sDaddy
  • Upvote 4

Each sams club is requited to donate a certain amount every quarter...contact them by email ahead of time for this and they will be glad to help (usually) if not go to the next sams ..there should be more than one in Miami or the surrounding.

We don't have a lot of time. I'm well aware that we won't be maximizing our dollars, but I still believe that we are doing more for Dominica than if we had just blindly donated to the Red Cross.

We haven't spent the money yet. EVERYONE here is encouraged to pick up the phone, pull up Google, send out emails, or whatever you can do.

Those of you that said you can't donate - if you're reading this post, you obviously have free time, so you can help out that way. Call or email and see what kind of great deals or donations you can get.

If we have free space above our pallets, maybe we can get others to donate light items like diapers, tampons, toilet paper, etc that could be thrown in! 

At the end of this drive, everyone who helped should feel great about what you did. I thank you all! This is an amazing thing that is happening here.

:tiphat:

• Upvote 4

I know this "ain't an easy job" Adam....but it sure beats herding cats!!!  ;) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7yqlTMvp8

UMMM I do not see the problem??

WI is a great place to raise a family and it's an amazing place to live. 

Don't worry about the cats. They take care of themselves. :D

Ummmm Hey we are pretty high maintance creatures......we need our wine opened on a regular basis

tumblr_inline_mpllqaBnIr1qz4rgp.jpg

• Upvote 1

There are places that do bulk orders, like Walton Wheat, but it would take more time than you're looking at.  One thing to keep in mind is that this need will be there for months if not the next few years.  If you vacation in the area you may consider a "working vacation" and pitch in with the clean up.  Many of us may collect clothes, money and food during the holidays.  Be it at work, church, sunday school class .... this could be an idea of whom to give to.

If you do go with this shipment or on your own, one of the things that I learned from helping out (Waveland, MS) after Katrina was to go prepared to take care of yourself.  Do not be a burden.  Take your own food and a way to cook it.  Take as much extra as you can and plan on leaving it all there.  It's amazing what people would do for a bag of chips when they can't find one.

• Upvote 1

I have a call in to Costco right now, Miami.

They are willing to load our 20x8x8 container with pallets... my contact explained that we can't double stack a 20' container, so they will load the pallets as high as possible. There will be some wasted space, but that's not horrible.

I have no idea what $15,000 will buy... if we can fill a 40' container, they can double stack the pallets. 

If you want to call Rex and get his suggestions and see if he will beat Costco's price and also load the container for us on Monday, that would be awesome!

Like I said, we've got about $15,000 to spend and we want:

Dry Beans
Rice
Flour
Cooking Oils
Diapers
femcare - tampons etc

Costco has been pretty good about donating to some of my programs in the past, as has Sams and Walmart. Have you asked them if they can top off any extra room with items perhaps they might donate on top of what you are purchasing to put in the container?

• Upvote 1