Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Good News: God Is Happy

ronscarpa

Good News: God Is Happy

Our WORD For Saturday - July 4th,2015

“ . . . the gospel of the glory of the blessed God” (1 Timothy 1:11

This is a beautiful phrase in 1 Timothy, buried beneath the too-familiar surface of Bible buzzwords. But after you dig it up, it sounds like this: “The good news of the Glory of the Happy God.”

A great part of God’s Glory is His Happiness.

It was inconceivable to the apostle Paul that God could be denied infinite joy and still be all glorious. To be infinitely glorious was to be infinitely happy. He used the phrase, “the Glory of the Happy God,” because it is a glorious thing for God to be as happy as He is.

God’s glory consists much in the fact that He is happy beyond our wildest imagination. As the great eighteenth-century preacher, Jonathan Edwards, said, “Part of God’s fullness which He communicates is His happiness. This happiness consists in enjoying and rejoicing in Himself; so does also the creature’s happiness.”

And this is the gospel: “The Gospel of the Glory of the Happy God.” It is good news that God is gloriously happy. No one would want to spend eternity with an unhappy God.

If God is unhappy, then the goal of the gospel is not a happy goal; and that means it would be no gospel at all. But, in fact, Jesus invites us to spend eternity with a happy God when He says, “Enter into the joy of your Master” (Matthew 25:23).

Jesus lived and died that His joy — God’s joy — might be in us and our joy might be full (John 15:11 & John 17:13). Therefore the gospel is “the Gospel of the Glory of the Happy God.”

John Piper

Some food for thought as we joyfully celebrate our nations Independence Day, and the freedoms we still have...!  God Bless our troops & Law Enforcement, and may God bless The United States of America.

Blessings to all...RON  :tiphat:  :salute: 

Edited by ronscarpa
  • Upvote 3

1 Timothy 11 "I have been entrusted with the Gospel of a blessed God", does not mention “happy” in the Greek text I have read it several times. If we look at the text in context it paints quite a different picture.

1 Timothy (NKLV)

"8 But we know that the law is good if one uses it lawfully, 9 knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, 10 for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine, 11 according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God which was committed to my trust."

And the Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. (Genesis 6:6

This is closer to how God's happiness could be measured toward this generation. God is not frolicking around heaven smiling and laughing and telling jokes God is ready to destroy man and the heavenly host are fearful for humanity right now because we have become everything, as mentioned above that God hates, despises and will destroy. I don’t want to rain on anyone’s smiley party but this interpretation on the scripture is troubling in the context of what unreachable repentance is needed to spare us from the forthcoming wrath of God.

Both John the Baptist and Jesus declared the same thing at the onset of their ministries “Repent for the kingdom of God is at hand”, this is the message for persons. God is not happy - God is angry, God is not joyous  - God is livid, God is not blessing - God is cursing this fornicating, adulterous, homosexual, murderous, godless abomination to holiness that we have become. It is no wonder that He is sending us corrupt leaders for all humanity is corrupt and rightly represented. God is not happy He is God.

It will be days like this, the 4th of July that will be reveal signs of confirmation to man that we have become like those in Noah’s time careless and oblivious of our pending judgment and destruction. No one will repent today, there is no sackcloth and ash; there will be drugs and alcohol, sexual sins and fireworks. How dark we have become. Those who seek God know that the real fireworks are about to begin.

• Upvote 3

The good news of the Gospel does not mean that God is doing a dance in heaven. That is because it saddens Him when we sin. But when 1 sinner repents it is a joyous occasion.

Luke 15 New King James Version (NKJV) The Parable of the Lost Sheep

15 Then all the tax collectors and the sinners drew near to Him to hear Him. And the Pharisees and scribes complained, saying, “This Man receives sinners and eats with them.” So He spoke this parable to them, saying:

“What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he loses one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness, and go after the one which is lost until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!’ I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance.

The Parable of the Lost Coin

“Or what woman, having ten silver coins,[a] if she loses one coin, does not light a lamp, sweep the house, and search carefully until she finds it? And when she has found it, she calls her friends and neighbors together, saying, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found the piece which I lost!’ 10 Likewise, I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

The Parable of the Lost Son

11 Then He said: “A certain man had two sons. 12 And the younger of them said to his father, ‘Father, give me the portion of goods that falls to me.’ So he divided to them his livelihood. 13 And not many days after, the younger son gathered all together, journeyed to a far country, and there wasted his possessions with prodigal living. 14 But when he had spent all, there arose a severe famine in that land, and he began to be in want. 15 Then he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country, and he sent him into his fields to feed swine. 16 And he would gladly have filled his stomach with the pods that the swine ate, and no one gave him anything.

17 “But when he came to himself, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger! 18 I will arise and go to my father, and will say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you, 19 and I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Make me like one of your hired servants.”’

20 “And he arose and came to his father. But when he was still a great way off, his father saw him and had compassion, and ran and fell on his neck and kissed him. 21 And the son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight, and am no longer worthy to be called your son.’

22 “But the father said to his servants, ‘Bring[b] out the best robe and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand and sandals on his feet. 23 And bring the fatted calf here and kill it, and let us eat and be merry; 24 for this my son was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ And they began to be merry.

25 “Now his older son was in the field. And as he came and drew near to the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 So he called one of the servants and asked what these things meant. 27 And he said to him, ‘Your brother has come, and because he has received him safe and sound, your father has killed the fatted calf.’

28 “But he was angry and would not go in. Therefore his father came out and pleaded with him. 29 So he answered and said to his father, ‘Lo, these many years I have been serving you; I never transgressed your commandment at any time; and yet you never gave me a young goat, that I might make merry with my friends. 30 But as soon as this son of yours came, who has devoured your livelihood with harlots, you killed the fatted calf for him.’

31 “And he said to him, ‘Son, you are always with me, and all that I have is yours. 32 It was right that we should make merry and be glad, for your brother was dead and is alive again, and was lost and is found.’”

This is why we must take the whole bible and not pick and choose what we want to get out of it. It is not a smorgasbord as some people would have it.

Thanks Darwinatridge, the Scriptures are always sobering, always direct back to the Father.

May He who is abundant in mercy share that mercy with us who struggle towards His righteousness.

God bless you all on this 4th of July, and every day to come between now and the Day of the Lord.

1 Timothy 11 "I have been entrusted with the Gospel of a blessed God", does not mention “happy” in the Greek text I have read it several times. If we look at the text in context it paints quite a different picture.

1 Timothy (NKLV)

"8 But we know that the law is good if one uses it lawfully, 9 knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, 10 for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine, 11 according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God which was committed to my trust."

And the Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. (Genesis 6:6

This is closer to how God's happiness could be measured toward this generation. God is not frolicking around heaven smiling and laughing and telling jokes God is ready to destroy man and the heavenly host are fearful for humanity right now because we have become everything, as mentioned above that God hates, despises and will destroy. I don’t want to rain on anyone’s smiley party but this interpretation on the scripture is troubling in the context of what unreachable repentance is needed to spare us from the forthcoming wrath of God.

Both John the Baptist and Jesus declared the same thing at the onset of their ministries “Repent for the kingdom of God is at hand”, this is the message for persons. God is not happy - God is angry, God is not joyous  - God is livid, God is not blessing - God is cursing this fornicating, adulterous, homosexual, murderous, godless abomination to holiness that we have become. It is no wonder that He is sending us corrupt leaders for all humanity is corrupt and rightly represented. God is not happy He is God.

It will be days like this, the 4th of July that will be reveal signs of confirmation to man that we have become like those in Noah’s time careless and oblivious of our pending judgment and destruction. No one will repent today, there is no sackcloth and ash; there will be drugs and alcohol, sexual sins and fireworks. How dark we have become. Those who seek God know that the real fireworks are about to begin.

Thought provoking comments from the heart…Thank You.

Perhaps could be summed up by the quoted text at the end of the last paragraph here? (Jas 4:4)

The Hebrew word for “happy” is ’e′sher (Ps 40:4), while the related verb ’a·shar′ means “pronounce happy.” (Ge 30:13) These Hebrew terms are used with reference to humans. They often denote the result of positive action, such as acting with consideration toward the lowly one or being in fear of Jehovah. (Ps 41:1; 112:1) The Greek word rendered “happy” is ma·ka′ri·os

Consider Jehovah, God Almighty, he has the entire universe under his authority. He lacks nothing and needs no one. Despite his unsurpassed power, however, Jehovah must have felt some disappointment when one of his spirit sons rebelled and became Satan. God must have been affected later when some other angels joined in the rebellion. Think, too, of the pain felt by God when Adam and Eve, the masterpieces of his physical creation, turned their backs on him. Since then, billions of their descendants have rejected Jehovah’s authority.—Rom. 3:23.

Jehovah is “the happy God” and his Son Jesus Christ is called “the happy and only Potentate.” (1Ti 1:11) “according to the glorious good news of the happy God, with which I was entrusted. (1Ti 6:15) which the happy and only Potentate will show in its own appointed times. He is the King of those who rule as kings and Lord of those who rule as lords,

In spite of the fact that Jehovah’s  name and sovereignty have been challenged by the introduction of wickedness in both heaven and earth he is sure of the outworking of his purposes; nothing can be done beyond what his will permits. (Isa 46:10, 11; 55:10, 11) His long-suffering in permitting conditions that are within his power to change has been with a definite purpose or end in view; therefore he is happy. The apostle Paul writes: “God, although having the will to demonstrate his wrath and to make his power known, tolerated with much long-suffering vessels of wrath made fit for destruction, in order that he might make known the riches of his glory upon vessels of mercy, which he prepared beforehand for glory.”—Ro 9:22-24.

Jehovah is not paralyzed by hurt and disappointment. When complications have arisen, Jehovah has promptly taken steps to minimize the bad consequences of what happened. He has also taken long-term measures so that in the end his purpose will be fulfilled. In view of these positive actions, Jehovah joyfully looks forward to the vindication of his sovereignty and to the resulting blessings for his loyal worshippers. (Ps. 104:31) Yes, despite the reproach that has been heaped on him, Jehovah remains “the happy God.”—1 Tim. 1:11; Ps. 16:11.

Satan’s revolt is still going strong for some 6,000 years, The apostle Paul associates Satan with “the wicked spirit forces in the heavenly places,” and he speaks of them as “the world rulers of this darkness.” (Eph 6:11, 12) As a governing force in the invisible realm immediately about the earth, Satan is “the ruler of the authority of the air.” (Eph 2:2) In Revelation he is shown to be the one “misleading the entire inhabited earth.” (Re 12:9) The apostle John said that “the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one.” (1Jo 5:19) He is therefore “the ruler of this world.” (Joh 12:31) That is why James wrote that “the friendship with the world is enmity with God.”—Jas 4:4.

Thanks again for sharing ATHIM

• Upvote 1

Thanks for everyone's comments...Have a blessed day...RON  :salute: 

The good news of the Gospel does not mean that God is doing a dance in heaven. That is because it saddens Him when we sin. But when 1 sinner repents it is a joyous occasion.

This is why we must take the whole bible and not pick and choose what we want to get out of it. It is not a smorgasbord as some people would have it.

D.A. - a simple devotional is meant to encourage and help us focus on the goodness of our God.  He's not in heaven wringing His hands when we stumble...His plan is already complete, and He sees the beginning from the end.  He paid the price to redeem us to Himself, and He's now waiting for "us" (the Church) to realize who we are as redeemed sons of God, and step into our destiny. We're involved in a cosmic battle of incomprehensible proportions, yet we can know for certain that "we win"...!

Thanks for sharing the scriptures ... the WORD is always powerful and brings revelation and Life...! Be blessed....RON  :salute: 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the TRUE word of God Ron.

1John 2:18-22

We know the truth because we have the Holy Spirit living

in us. Because He speaks to us showing what is truth and

what is a lie. I thank our Heavenly Father evey day for

you.

1John 2:18-22 good point! Thanks LGD for bring that up as this cleverly ties back to the discussion, man of lawlessness.

John was the last living apostle. It had been more than 30 years since the last of the other letters of the Christian Greek Scriptures had been written. Soon the apostles would all be off the scene. Years before this time, Paul had written to Timothy that he would not be with him much longer. (2Ti 4:6) He urged Timothy to keep holding the pattern of healthful words and to commit to faithful men the things he had heard from Paul, so that these men could, in turn, teach others.—2Ti 1:13; 2:2.

The apostle Peter had warned of false teachers who would arise from within the congregation, bringing in destructive sects. (2Pe 2:1-3) Additionally, Paul had told the overseers of the congregation in Ephesus (where John’s letters were later written) that “oppressive wolves” would enter in, not treating the flock with tenderness. (Ac 20:29, 30) He foretold the great apostasy with its “man of lawlessness.” (2Th 2:3-12) In 98 C.E. it was, therefore, as John said: “Young children, it is the last hour, and, just as you have heard that antichrist is coming, even now there have come to be many antichrists; from which fact we gain the knowledge that it is the last hour.” (1Jo 2:18) Consequently, the letter was most timely and of vital importance for the strengthening of the faithful Christians as a bulwark against the apostasy.

ANTICHRIST

This word means “against (or instead of) Christ.” It occurs a total of five times, singular and plural, all of them in two of John’s epistles.

The subject was not new among the Christians when John wrote his letters (c. 98 C.E.). First John 2:18 states: “Young children, it is the last hour, and, just as you have heard that antichrist [Gr., an·ti′khri·stos] is coming, even now there have come to be many antichrists; from which fact we gain the knowledge that it is the last hour.” John’s statement shows that there are many individual antichrists, though all together they may form a composite person designated “the antichrist.” (2Jo 7) The use of the expression “hour” as referring to a period of time, either relatively brief or of undetermined length, is exemplified in other writings of John. (See Joh 2:4; 4:21-23; 5:25, 28; 7:30; 8:20; 12:23, 27.) He thus did not restrict the appearance, existence, and activity of such antichrist to some future time only but showed that the antichrist was then present and would continue on.—1Jo 4:3.

Although there has been much effort in the past to identify “the antichrist” with an individual, such as Pompey, Nero, or Muhammad (this latter person being suggested by Pope Innocent III in 1213 C.E.), or with a specific organization, as in the Protestant view of “the antichrist” as applying to the papacy, John’s inspired statements show the term to be broad in its application, embracing all those who deny that “Jesus is the Christ,” and who deny that Jesus is the Son of God who came “in the flesh.”—1Jo 2:22; 4:2, 3; 2Jo 7, NE, NIV; compare Joh 8:42, 48, 49; 9:22.

Denial of Jesus as the Christ and as the Son of God of necessity embraces the denial of any or all of the Scriptural teachings concerning him: his origin, his place in God’s arrangement, his fulfillment of the prophecies in the Hebrew Scriptures as the promised Messiah, his ministry and teachings and prophecies, as well as any opposition to or efforts to replace him in his position as God’s appointed High Priest and King. This is evident from other texts, which, while not using the term “antichrist,” express essentially the same idea. Thus, Jesus stated: “He that is not on my side is against me, and he that does not gather with me scatters.” (Lu 11:23) Second John 7 shows that such ones might act as deceivers, and hence the “antichrist” would include those who are “false Christs” and “false prophets,” as well as those who perform powerful works in Jesus’ name and yet are classed by him as “workers of lawlessness.”—Mt 24:24; 7:15, 22, 23.

In view of Jesus’ rule that what is done to his true followers is done to him (Mt 25:40, 45; Ac 9:5), the term must include those who persecute such ones, which means it would include the symbolic “Babylon the Great” and those described as the “evil slave” in Jesus’ parable.—Lu 21:12; Re 17:5, 6; Mt 24:48-51.

John specifically mentions apostates as among those of the antichrist by referring to those who “went out from us,” abandoning the Christian congregation. (1Jo 2:18, 19) It therefore includes “the man of lawlessness” or “son of destruction” described by Paul, as well as the “false teachers” Peter denounces for forming destructive sects and who “disown even the owner that bought them.”—2Th 2:3-5; 2Pe 2:1;

Kingdoms, nations, and organizations are similarly shown to be part of the antichrist in the symbolic description at Revelation 17:8-15; 19:19-21.—Compare Ps 2:1, 2.

In all the above cases those composing the antichrist are shown to be headed for eventual destruction as a recompense for their opposing course.

Edited by Fly
  • Upvote 1

Ron, thanks for the good word.  Truly God is filled with joy and happiness concerning His Kingdom.  Certainly there was great displeasure and remorse when those of His creation begin to forget Him or want anything at all to do with Him, but He is overjoyed at those who have experienced the "new birth" and can now "see the Kingdom" and all the blessings awaiting those who are His "new creations."  There is great joy in Heaven over all those who come to repentance (Lk 15:7, 10).  And as Paul said in Romans, the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.  

Jesus pleased the Father when He completed His work of redemption, and we please God when we obey Him.  So in all respects when we get to our final destination, heaven, we will experience God's approval and joy.  It will be a great time of rejoicing!!  

• Upvote 1

Paul deals with differences of opinion in the Christian congregation at Rome.

Romans 14:17―For the Kingdom of God does not mean eating and drinking, but means righteousness and peace and joy with holy spirit.

“Consequently I entreat you by the compassions of God, brothers,” says Paul, “to present your bodies a sacrifice living, holy, acceptable to God.” (Rom. 12:1)

“I tell everyone there among you not to think more of himself than it is necessary to think,” writes Paul. “Let your love be without hypocrisy,” he exhorts. In matters pertaining to conscience, he encourages Christians ‘not to be judging one another.’—Rom. 14:13.

In the 14th chapter of Romans, the apostle Paul deals with differences of opinion in the Christian congregation at Rome. These had to do with things affecting the conscience—differences that some felt had to be settled definitely, one way or another, in order to carry on the true worship of God. The foundation teachings of the Bible were not involved. The matters under dispute concerned interpretations of conscience on the less important everyday activities of life. The apostle pointed out that mature Christians have a wide latitude of freedom in these things. But he also cautioned against the unbridled exercise of this liberty or a Christian’s attempting to restrict another’s freedom.

One Christian might feel conscientiously free to exercise a certain right. However, Paul encouraged such a one to temper his actions if he knew that they offended the conscience of a brother. Conversely, the one having a conscience overly tender in some respects was counseled not to condemn his brother for doing what the Scriptures allow, even though he himself could not conscientiously do it.

The apostle then says: “Do not, therefore, let the good you people do be spoken of with injury to you.” (Rom. 14:16) A Christian works hard to do good, to “adorn the teaching of our Savior, God, in all things” before the eyes of everyone, so that all will look on Christian teaching with the highest respect. (Titus 2:10) He wants his life to be a living testimony to what he and the congregation teach, as the apostle Peter counsels: “Hold a good conscience, so that in the particular in which you are spoken against they may get ashamed who are speaking slightingly of your good conduct in connection with Christ.”—1 Pet. 3:16.

Now, having been so careful in all these matters related to Christian living, what a shame it would be to destroy this good influence for true worship by insisting on doing something that is in itself entirely all right—“good”—but which looks wrong in the eyes of an overly sensitive Christian brother. The brother might tend to speak disparagingly about this to others. Or, some act that the Christian might do could be misinterpreted by the whole community. This act would not be one that is wrong in itself. But, because others condemn it, they could bring injury to the Christian’s good reputation. It could reflect reproachfully on the message of the “good news” that the congregation works so hard to proclaim and teach. For this reason, it would be better that the Christian restrain himself from indulging in the enjoyment or practice of certain freedoms, even right ones, on which point the conscience of another Christian may be weak.

On the other hand, it is also essential that a Christian with an overscrupulous conscience refrain from criticizing another, who is making use of his freedom, and actually doing no wrong. He is judging his brother. He should get his view adjusted. (Compare 2 Corinthians 13:11.) For otherwise he will continue to disturb the peace of the congregation. Because of his judging his brother, he must share a very large part of the blame for the trouble his critical attitude causes. Rather, he should strive to become fully mature and firmly established, making his faith on all points strong, so that he will not be prone to stumble or to condemn others. If he does not progress in this way, he can be a constant source of trouble and can bring reproach on the “good news.”—Heb. 5:12-14; Ps. 119:165.

The apostle comes to the focal point of the matter when he says: “For the kingdom of God does not mean eating and drinking, but means righteousness and peace and joy with holy spirit.” (Rom. 14:17) True worship and that which pertains to the kingdom of God and his congregation are not centered on these physical matters. As Jesus said: “There is nothing from outside a man that passes into him that can defile him; but the things that issue forth out of a man are the things that defile a man.”—Mark 7:15.

This can be said of many other things of life. Dress and grooming, entertainment, employment and other personal affairs are not the essentials “for the advancement of the good news.” (Phil. 1:12) If there is no actual violation of the Scriptures and if moderation is shown by shunning extremes or involvements with worldly wrongdoing, then these matters of daily living do not come within the area where we should be judged by our brothers.—Compare Proverbs 11:2.

A New World of Plenty Awaits Us

Try again to visualize the future of upright humans in God’s new world under the rule of the Greater Solomon. “There will come to be plenty of grain on the earth,” we are promised. “On the top of the mountains there will be an overflow.” (Ps. 72:16) Since grain is not ordinarily produced on mountain tops, these words emphasize how productive the earth will become. Its produce “will be as in Lebanon,” a region that produced abundantly at the time of Solomon’s reign. Just think! No more food shortages, no one undernourished, nobody starving! All will then enjoy “a banquet of well-oiled dishes.”—Isa. 25:6-8; 35:1, 2.

To whom will credit go for all these blessings? Primarily to the Eternal King and Universal Ruler, Jehovah God. In effect, all of us will then joyfully add our voices to the concluding portion of this beautiful and heartwarming song: “Let his name [that of the King Jesus Christ] prove to be to time indefinite; before the sun let his name have increase, and by means of him let them bless themselves; let all nations pronounce him happy. Blessed be Jehovah God, Israel’s God, who alone is doing wonderful works. And blessed be his glorious name to time indefinite, and let his glory fill the whole earth. Amen and Amen.”—Ps. 72:17-19.

They will build houses and live in them, And they will plant vineyards and eat their fruitage.

They will not build for someone else to inhabit, Nor will they plant for others to eat. For the days of my people will be like the days of a tree, And the work of their hands my chosen ones will enjoy to the full. (Isaiah 65:21,22)

God’s Kingdom will bring abundance in all mankind’s blessings, not excluding that of food!  : )

Hope this clears up any misconceptions of what "Paul said in Romans,".

• Upvote 1