Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Zimbabwe Zim revalues...err Devalues

the "ZIM" ....... you do mean "ZWD" dont you, it has not been recognized as a real currency since 2009.

In January 2009, the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe permitted the use of foreign currency in Zimbabwe in response to an economic decline that caused inflation levels of 5 billion percent.

By April 2009, the Zimbabwe dollar was suspended indefinitely.

The government has adopted a multiple currency framework which includes the Australian DollarBotswana PulaBritish Sterling PoundChinese YuanEuroJapanese YenIndian RupeeSouth African Rand, and United States Dollar. For more information, read the BBC's "Zimbabwe's multi-currency confusion".

why anybody bought any of that rubbish is beyond me, the odds of the dinar revaluing are high, the odds on the Dong are astronomical .......... the odds on a currency that doesn't even exist anymore, well you get what i'm saying.

• Upvote 2

This is what the BBC reported last week.

Citizens with high bank balances will be able to exchange as many as $35 quadrillion local dollars for just one U.S. dollar, the BBC reported.

As of next week, Zimbabweans will be able to exchange bank accounts of up to 175 quadrillion (175,000,000,000,000,000) Zimbabwean dollars for five U.S. dollars, Governor John Mangudya told Bloomberg News in an e-mailed statement from the capital, Harare. They have until the end of September to exchange their local dollars.

yes, this is correct 1 u.s. dollar=35 quadrillion Zimbabwean dollar. It has officially been discontinued. September 30 is the last date to redeem them in country. I don't know about currency dealers in the U.S. 

• Upvote 1

yes, this is correct 1 u.s. dollar=35 quadrillion Zimbabwean dollar. It has officially been discontinued. September 30 is the last date to redeem them in country. I don't know about currency dealers in the U.S. 

Dealers in the US or anywhere else will not touch it, the currency is worthless outside Zimbabwe.

it's also worthless inside Zimbabwe but at least there giving them a chance to recoup some of their savings, albeit probably only 1% or less of what they had originally .