Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Kansas residents would be allowed to carry concealed weapons without permits under a proposed measure endorsed by a majority of state senators, the bill's author said on Thursday.

Kansas would join Alaska, Vermont, Wyoming and Arizona as states that allow residents to carry concealed weapons statewide without a permit, according to the National Rifle Association, which supports such legislation.

The bill introduced on Wednesday would eliminate background checks, gun training and other requirements that go along with a permit for concealed carry of firearms, Republican state Senator Terry Bruce said.

Kansas already allows open carry of guns without a permit.

"It's like any liberty a person has," Bruce said. "If you are going to own a gun you need to be responsible and if you are going to carry a gun, there is certain due diligence required of you regardless whether or not there is a permitting process."

The bill is co-sponsored by 26 of the 40 senators and must undergo debate in committee before it can be considered in the full Senate and House. Republicans control both chambers.

The bill drew criticism from the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

"Kansas should not become the fifth state to allow dangerous people - including felons, fugitives, domestic abusers and the severely mentally ill - to evade Brady background checks and carry loaded guns in public without a permit," Brady Campaign spokesman Brian Malte said in an email

• Upvote 3

Kansas residents would be allowed to carry concealed weapons without permits under a proposed measure endorsed by a majority of state senators, the bill's author said on Thursday.

I am a little concerned that if this law passes it will be harder for Jayhawkers to legally carry out of state.  Currently there are 36 other States that recognize and reciprocate the Kansas concealed carry license, and I have CC’ed in many of them without any problem.   If KS removes the licensing requirements most of these 36 will no longer reciprocate making it more difficult to carry when traveling.

• Upvote 2

I am a little concerned that if this law passes it will be harder for Jayhawkers to legally carry out of state.  Currently there are 36 other States that recognize and reciprocate the Kansas concealed carry license, and I have CC’ed in many of them without any problem.   If KS removes the licensing requirements most of these 36 will no longer reciprocate making it more difficult to carry when traveling.

Actually this question came up here on local talk radio.

Kansas will still provide the CC license for that specific reason.

And it will still be recognized by the same states.

• Upvote 2

Actually this question came up here on local talk radio.

Kansas will still provide the CC license for that specific reason.

And it will still be recognized by the same states.

Thanks, was not aware of this.  If that is the case then Go Kansas!

• Upvote 1

I lived in Arizona some time back and remember seeing a sign in the local grocery that said, "please check your firearm at the service desk". Just goes to show the old Bumper sticker was right... "An armed society, is a polite society".