Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Calmer night in Ferguson as heavily armed police prevent repeat of violence

umbertino

• Police chief: ‘I think generally it was a much better night’
  •  
  • Soldiers line streets and guard businesses in Ferguson
  •  
  • Forty-four arrests made but no repeat of violence and looting

A show of force by police and the US national guard in Ferguson, Missouri, prevented a second night of widespread rioting by early on Wednesday.

While smouldering sections of the town remained shut down as potential crime scenes, extra troops in camouflage and heavily armed police officers in riot gear appeared determined to prevent a repeat of Monday night’s scenes of looting and arson.

That unrest, leading to dozens of arrests, followed the decision by a grand jury not to charge police officer Darren Wilson for shooting dead Michael Brown, an unarmed 18-year-old, on a residential side-street in Ferguson on 9 August.

After they were accused of being caught flat-footed on Monday, law enforcement officers responded swiftly to shut down reports of criminal activity. “I think generally it was a much better night,” the St Louis County police chief, Jon Belmar, said at a 1.30am press conference. He said officers showed restraint and some protesters had been “out there for the right reasons”.

Police shot teargas canisters and pepper-spray at a boisterous crowd outside Ferguson’s city hall, after windows on the building were smashed and a police car outside was partly burned. Officers seized a molotov cocktail at the site, said Belmar.

In all, police made 44 arrests, Belmar said, including four for the felony charges of unlawful use of a weapon and assaulting police officers. Police also seized two pistols and collected items such as rocks, tent poles and plastic bottles full of urine that they said were thrown.

National guardsmen took at least one demonstrator into custody at the Ferguson police headquarters, where several people were arrested in the latest nightly clash. The actions were a significant expansion in the responsibilities of the volunteer soldiers.

After Missouri’s governor, Jay Nixon, ordered in 700 more troops on Monday to bring the total to 2,200 since he declared a state of emergency last week, the soldiers were also lining streets, guarding businesses and utility stations around the town.

A car was burned, and gunfire heard near the site of Brown’s killing, Belmar said. A group tried to loot a Walgreens pharmacy that was robbed and torched on Tuesday. Others smashed store fronts and threw stones at police cars after being forced away from the police department.

Shortly after midnight, as a crowd that had been hurling rocks at a glass shop front melted away, one police officer could not contain an emotional outburst.

“You call this peaceful protest?” he shouted at them. “No families can get to shop. No baby food. There’s no milk. They can’t even go to work tomorrow. They’ve got Christmas coming up and Thanksgiving. All these people protesting ruined everything – everything in this city. Twenty-five years I’ve been in this city and this is terrible.”

When women tried to shout the police officer down, he shouted back. “Yeah, whatever,” he said. “Destroy our town.”

Yet incidents were kept isolated and brief by police and troops arriving in high-speed convoys and ordering people to leave. Reviving a tactic used during unrest after Brown’s death in August, officers simply declared demonstrations illegal and cleared the streets. Volunteers and members of the clergy also intervened to de-escalate tensions during standoffs at the police headquarters.

As Ferguson residents and business owners attempted to count the cost of Monday’s damage, police chiefs appeared to concede that they had underestimated the potential for such unrest – despite having had three months since Brown’s death to prepare.

Belmar said that he and colleagues had not “really envisioned how bad last night was”, adding: “I think that was a scale that fortunately is seldom seen here in this country”. Captain Ron Johnson of the Missouri state highway patrol said: “None of us could have imagined that last night was going to be what it was.”

The activity was condemned as unacceptable by Nixon during a press conference earlier on Tuesday to unveil his expansion of the national guard’s mission in Ferguson. “No one should have to live like this,” he said. “No one deserves this.” President Obama said in Chicago that he does not “have any sympathy” with those who resorted to violence.

At a press conference on Tuesday morning, lawyers for Brown’s family sharply criticised Bob McCulloch, the county prosecutor who oversaw the grand jury system, and said that the criminal justice system was systematically failing young black victims of police violence. They called for a “Michael Brown’s law” that would see all officers forced to wear body cameras.

Anger over the grand jury’s decision was further inflamed on Tuesday when Wilson made his first public appearance since the shooting. He told ABC News in an interview that he could not have done anything differently on 9 August and the incident would have been the same if Brown had been white. “The reason I have a clean conscience is ’cos I know I did my job right,” said Wilson.

1000.jpg

Police officers stand in front of a police car after they extinguished a fire set on it by protesters. Photograph: Lucas Jackson/REUTERS

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/nov/26/ferguson-missouri-calm-police-protest-violence

This world has really gone crazy. I don't care what color a person is or if their a LGBT,or what ever. If your a thief, murderer, rapist, liar or armed robber. I have no use for you. I dont understand how 75% of the blacks including that malito little"o" could support that thief and punk Mike Brown. When you assault a police officer and try to take his gun, and you get killed in the process that's your fault. Who acts like this? What kind of a country has the U.S. become? I think Darrin Wilson should get a medal, for killing that punk. What mike brown did was not a capital offense and would not have died if he would have surrender as ordered. He chose to try and kill a police officer. Now his dead. I for one have had my gut full of this crap. I have turned both cheeks, I refuse to be struck again with this type crap, that the little"o" and his henchmen holder, skinny al, jackson, & rev.wright are throwing out. They are right we are sitting on a powder keg, of them causing an all out race war. They are the ones that need to be held accountable for this progressive, communist trash.  The above mentioned people are Racist in the third degree. They are no better than the KKK, except they are black racist. I hope all descent people of all races will stand up and fight back aginst these racist thugs, before they tear our great country apart. :twocents:  :salute:

• Upvote 1