Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

...What a Tea Party Group Recently Did in Ferguson...

Whatshername

After Hearing What a Tea Party Group Recently Did in Ferguson, You Likely Won’t Be Surprised That You Haven’t Heard About It

The story won’t spark controversy or make many front pages, but there is some good happening in Ferguson, Missouri, in the aftermath of the unrest following the police-involved shooting death of 18-year-old Michael Brown.

Many local businesses in Ferguson were vandalized, looted, and even set on fire as demonstrators took to the streets to protest the shooting. Sadly, innocent business owners have been left to foot the bills. This is where the St. Louis Tea Party realized they could help.

The group spread the word of the “BUYcott” event on Facebook, hoping to get at least 20 people to show up and spend their hard-earned money at local Ferguson businesses on August 21. They apparently ended up with a group of about 40 “(mostly) white people” — and something amazing happened.

St.-Louis-Tea-Party-BUYcott.jpg

Members of St. Louis Tea Party with Dellena, owner of 911 Beauty Salon in Ferguson (Credit: Bill Hennessy/Facebook)

They reportedly targeted small businesses who “were hit hard by violence–violence committed (mostly) by out of town agitators, criminals, vandals, and hooligans.”

Bill Hennessy, one of the tea party members who attended the event, later wrote about his experience in Ferguson and how their presence made residents rethink their preconceived notions of the tea party:

A gentlman (my age) in the salon (husband?) asked who we were with. I told him “St. Louis Tea Party.”

“Tea party?” he said. “You bad boys,” and chuckled. Then he looked at me, very serious. He said, “The tea party came up here to do this?”

“Oh, yeah,” I said. “we don’t want to see Ferguson go south.”

He laughed. And he looked at me. Then he was quiet, lost in thought for a minute. When he came out of it, he was like our best friend. Laughing, giving us crap about stuff, telling stories. He admitted baseball can be like “watching grass grow.”

In that moment of reflection, I’m sure he was trying to reconcile “tea party” with what he was seeing–four white people, ages 18 to 50, laughing, spending money, empathizing.

That moment made the whole event worthwhile.

So, why did they do it?

Because, Hennessy writes, “you can’t change the world in your living room.”

• Upvote 8

Thanks for bringing us this story... Nice to see something positive and caring going on instead of all the hate.

and of course the lamestream media doesn't air something like this too often because that is not what they are about and also because it wont get good ratings... people would much rather watch rioting and fighting and killing than watch something peacful and kind.

• Upvote 4

Nope sorry, no sale!Tea Party are extremist & have no place in politics.

Could not disagree more to your response gym. Tea Party is nothing but like minded citizens who are fed up with the way professional politicians are ignoring the Constitution and destroying the Country. Abiding the Constitution and demanding the government "live within its' means" may sound extreme to some, but not to me.

• Upvote 14

I'm gonna use that last line,

"YOU CAN'T CHANGE THE WORLD FROM YOUR LIVING ROOM"

Ya just gotta love that. And it's exactly why for the first time in my life I got involved in

the Kansas primary. Because you can't change the world from your living room.

PRAY FOR REVIVAL EVERYDAY

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

@ Gym... I'm beginning to think you like to be scolded!  :blink:  Please... do tell... What is "radical" about believing we are Taxed Enough Already?  Is it the slogans on their homemade signs like "Gee, Thanks For The Debt" and "Don't Tread On Me" that you find offensive?  Maybe it's the way they always leave their rally site cleaner than they found it!  Have you swallowed (hook, line and sinker) the MSM's portrayal of this group's simple doctrine? There's nothing radical about wanting smaller government (unless you're a collectivist).  Here is the TEA Party Platform... what do you disagree with?

15 Non-negotiable Core Beliefs 

1. Illegal aliens are here illegally. 

2. Pro-domestic employment is indispensable. 

3. A strong military is essential. 

4. Special interests must be eliminated. 

5. Gun ownership is sacred. 

6. Government must be downsized. 

7. The national budget must be balanced. 

8. Deficit spending must end. 

9. Bailout and stimulus plans are illegal. 

10. Reducing personal income taxes is a must. 

11. Reducing business income taxes is mandatory. 

12. Political offices must be available to average citizens. 

13. Intrusive government must be stopped. 

14. English as our core language is required. 

15. Traditional family values are encouraged. 

- See more at: http://www.teaparty.org/about-us/#sthash.Ytdzq2E0.dpuf

@ Shabs... I didn't see where they were campaigning so why do you think they were buying votes?  It was a gesture of support for the small business owners in Ferguson.  Nothing political about it.  

• Upvote 5

Then why identify themselves as Tea Partiers?   :shrug: 

GO RV, and NO BV

A gentlman (my age) in the salon (husband?) asked who we were with. I told him “St. Louis Tea Party.” 

Maybe because it was the truth.  It was about changing perceptions... not vote buying.

• Upvote 5

Maybe because it was the truth.  It was about changing perceptions... not vote buying.

Possibly.  The good thing is, they were there for support.....I can't fault them for that.   :)  ......But, I'd like to.   :lol: 

GO RV, and NO BV

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Nope sorry, no sale!

Tea Party are extremist & have no place in politics.

Seriously Gym?  The Tea Party is a bunch of like minded people (like myself) who are sick of our govt screwing up our country, ignoring our constitution, and making laws for us they don't have to follow themselves.

Liberals are extremists and have no business in this nation!!  :eyebrows: 

• Upvote 4

Really guys?

Even the Republican Party can not endorse them! Ain't they supposed to be Republican?

If Ted Cruz is any example of what the Tea Party is all about then you can keep em!

I do respect that everyone has their own view of things. Especially in politics!

15 Non-negotiable Core Beliefs

1. Illegal aliens are here illegally.

2. Pro-domestic employment is indispensable.

3. A strong military is essential.

4. Special interests must be eliminated.

5. Gun ownership is sacred.

6. Government must be downsized.

7. The national budget must be balanced.

8. Deficit spending must end.

9. Bailout and stimulus plans are illegal.

10. Reducing personal income taxes is a must.

11. Reducing business income taxes is mandatory.

12. Political offices must be available to average citizens.

13. Intrusive government must be stopped.

14. English as our core language is required.

15. Traditional family values are encouraged.

Base values sounds great but it's how you go about achieveing them that counts! ;)

• Downvote 2

Then why identify themselves as Tea Partiers? :shrug:

GO RV, and NO BV

Buying votes.....they're just like the other parties. Kudos to them for supporting Ferguson, though. :peace:

GO RV, and NO BV

Nope sorry, no sale!Tea Party are extremist & have no place in politics.

I would be willing to bet they did not ask for donations.

Edited by Muleslayer
  • Upvote 2

Nope sorry, no sale!

Tea Party are extremist & have no place in politics.

GR... The Tea Party is not a political party... just like-minded people engaged in Constitutional lifestyle concerns, hence the inevitable, and necessary political activism.  And as such goes... each and every American should be so motivated, as any resposible voter makes himself well-informed... and better-informed about the Constitution.

Essentially, we are all politically active, simply by virtue of being American!  I could even argue that every American, by definition... is truly a Constitutionalist!   Some are just braver... and perhaps louder than others... And if that makes them "extreme"....  Hear Hear!

• Upvote 3

Really guys?Even the Republican Party can not endorse them! Ain't they supposed to be Republican?If Ted Cruz is any example of what the Tea Party is all about then you can keep em!I do respect that everyone has their own view of things. Especially in politics!.Base values sounds great but it's how you go about achieveing them that counts! ;)

Thank you Jax... Well said :)

Gym, The Tea Party consists of republicans, democrats, libertarians and independents who identify with and defend the principles set forth by the Constitution.  Who else is standing up for these values we share?  The liberals are undermining all of them at record speed.  And the republicans just go along with it... barely putting up a struggle!  

Let's talk about the "establishment republican party"... Most are weak, scared progressives- light... caught between a rock and a hard place.  A few of them talk a good game but don't deliver.  They don't make a strong, LOUD case for conservatism because they do not believe enough in our values or they're worried about their own careers... or both. Compromise isn't rolling over and giving in.  FIGHT, DAMMIT!  I didn't leave the republican party... it left me. Good riddance to bad rubbish!  

You say the Tea Party has no place in politics.  Their "extremism" (passion) for politics is the result of bad policy and government overreach over many years... with the promise of much more to come.  It's like waking a sleeping giant... those regular Americans that just can't keep quiet anymore.  Frustrated, discouraged, besmirched and abandoned by the party they elected to represent them... to represent US... and the Base Values we believe in.  How do you propose we Americans advance our beliefs without getting involved in the political process?  Just be quiet, go back to sleep and vote for whatever moron they serve up with an R behind his name?  That's how we got in this mess... Complacency and Apathy!

Protest and discourse is healthy and necessary, Gym... and it's our right. What do you mean by "it's how you go about achieveing them that counts"?  What "tactics" do you object to?   

If the Tea Party had received more support (or even fair treatment from the media)... who knows... we might not even have the disaster called obamacare, (wide) open borders, regulation nightmares, monumental corruption with the IRS, DOJ, USDA, EPA, ATF,  DOE, or any other alphabet agency you can think of.  We might not have this runaway debt and deficit, inflation, this printing of money that threatens our economy (and is generational theft),  110 million Americans – more than one-third of the country, receiving government assistance of some kind. There's no way we would have hauled ass out of Iraq, leaving a vacuum that soon filled with savage, Islamic nutcases. We might have consumer confidence which leads to jobs.  We might have some respect from other nations... and that respect might come from fear... and that's alright.  Our borders might be secure, our government might be smaller... and best of all...  politicians might just fear US instead of the other way around!  

• Upvote 8

Think of it as "Free Will" donations......or better yet, knee jerk reaction votes.   :D 

GO RV, and NO BV

Is that really what you think, Shabs... that Tea Party activists would stoop to the level of buying votes with their own, hard-earned money (like liberals... but with other people's money)?  Nah!  There's no place for useful idiots in the TP... they want wide-awake, motivated and informed voters.  Do you understand that this is why the left despises them... and is scared of their message getting out?  What would it take to change the direction our country is headed?  A few simple truths that start as a spark, becomes a flame, and grows into a grassfire that multiplies.  The left has thrown everything they can at it... frantically stomping on the TP every chance they get... because they're afraid.  They know they can't win in the arena of ideas so they vigorously paint them as extremists, racist, sexists, homophobes, and domestic terrorists.  Nothing could be further from the truth but when did that ever stop the left from trying to shape and manipulate public opinion?  All is fair in war and politics, it seems... and the media is their arsenal.  Have you fallen for their propaganda?  It appears that YOUR negative reaction to the TP is "knee jerk".  I don't know you but I do respect you.  I will ask you the same as Gym...  What do you disagree with?  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Is that really what you think, Shabs... that Tea Party activists would stoop to the level of buying votes with their own, hard-earned money (like liberals... but with other people's money)?  Nah!  There's no place for useful idiots in the TP... they want wide-awake, motivated and informed voters.  Do you understand that this is why the left despises them... and is scared of their message getting out?  What would it take to change the direction our country is headed?  A few simple truths that start as a spark, becomes a flame, and grows into a grassfire that multiplies.  The left has thrown everything they can at it... frantically stomping on the TP every chance they get... because they're afraid.  They know they can't win in the arena of ideas so they vigorously paint them as extremists, racist, sexists, homophobes, and domestic terrorists.  Nothing could be further from the truth but when did that ever stop the left from trying to shape and manipulate public opinion?  All is fair in war and politics, it seems... and the media is their arsenal.  Have you fallen for their propaganda?  It appears that YOUR negative reaction to the TP is "knee jerk".  I don't know you but I do respect you.  I will ask you the same as Gym...  What do you disagree with?  

I don't necessarily disagree with much of anything the Tea Party is attempting to do.  I have never thought of them as extremists, racists, sexists or homophobes.....Well, maybe homophobes.   :lol:   But to think they are not following a form of the standard political playbook would be short sighted in my opinion.  They have yet to prove themselves to me.....and until a Tea Party leader emerges that I'm comfortable with, I will continue to view them with skepticism.   :peace:  Awake is the goal....correct?  I'm weighing all my options, as it should be.   :) 

GO RV, and NO BV

Everyone should identify themselves but the tea party cause it's not fair that those who speak the truth should be identified

Just the race baiters and thugs should be identified

They should of went there with signs and been attacked by the United States idiots

If they were doing this for votes why not carry signs and chant tea party tea party and leave a filthy mess behind and do some robbing and looting themselves

It looks like the crowd that sticks up for the American idiots like that type of kaotic atmosphere

They cheer for the rioters and dismiss those who bring peaceful efforts to bring calm and resurrection of the norm

Stick your rioters up your racism

No need to point out who I'm talkin to

We all know who you are

Everyone should identify themselves but the tea party cause it's not fair that those who speak the truth should be identified

Just the race baiters and thugs should be identified

They should of went there with signs and been attacked by the United States idiots

If they were doing this for votes why not carry signs and chant tea party tea party and leave a filthy mess behind and do some robbing and looting themselves

It looks like the crowd that sticks up for the American idiots like that type of kaotic atmosphere

They cheer for the rioters and dismiss those who bring peaceful efforts to bring calm and resurrection of the norm

Stick your rioters up your racism

No need to point out who I'm talkin to

We all know who you are

Is this the mantra of the standard Tea Party member?........If so, then my skepticism is warranted.  I haven't heard one person backing the play of rioters or looters.   :shrug: 

GO RV, and NO BV

I don't necessarily disagree with much of anything the Tea Party is attempting to do.  I have never thought of them as extremists, racists, sexists or homophobes.....Well, maybe homophobes.   :lol:   But to think they are not following a form of the standard political playbook would be short sighted in my opinion.  They have yet to prove themselves to me.....and until a Tea Party leader emerges that I'm comfortable with, I will continue to view them with skepticism.   :peace:  Awake is the goal....correct?  I'm weighing all my options, as it should be.   :) 

I'm glad to hear you have an open mind.  The Tea Party is made up of like-minded INDIVIDUALS.  They don't really have a "leader".  That's what makes them a true grassroots organization.  Why is it distasteful to you that they follow "a form of the standard political playbook"?  What playbook should they follow?  What would the TP have to do to win you... and other skeptics, over?  If you believe in their values and the Constitution (which I believe you've sworn an oath to protect... Thank you for your service :) )... Please articulate your objections.  Where does your negativity come from?  

GO RV, and NO BV

Is this the mantra of the standard Tea Party member?........If so, then my skepticism is warranted.  I haven't heard one person backing the play of rioters or looters.   :shrug: 

GO RV, and NO BV

NO! It is not! No offense, Dontlop... Your style is much better suited for the Lopster tank!

• Upvote 4