Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

38 million gallon reservoir drained after teenager caught urinating

umbertino

Mount Tabor Reservoir in Portland, Oregon, had to be drained after the water was contaminated

By Olivia Yallop

9:39AM BST 18 Apr 2014

Mount Tabor Reservoir in Portland, Oregon, was drained by water chiefs after CCTV footage captured a teenager urinating into the water supply.

The 38 million gallon reservoir provides water to the city's population of 600,000.

The refill is estimated to have cost the taxpayer tens of thousands of dollars. It is not the first time the reservoir has been drained - over the past five years it has happened several times, most recently in October following an almost identical incident.

Portland Water Bureau Administrator David Shaff defended the decision, saying the reservoir could not distribute "deliberately contaminated" water.

''The reality is that our customers don't anticipate drinking water that's been contaminated by some yahoo who decided to pee into a reservoir.''

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/10774652/38-million-gallon-reservoir-drained-after-teenager-caught-urinating.html

• Upvote 1

Mount Tabor Reservoir in Portland, Oregon, had to be drained after the water was contaminated

By Olivia Yallop

9:39AM BST 18 Apr 2014

Mount Tabor Reservoir in Portland, Oregon, was drained by water chiefs after CCTV footage captured a teenager urinating into the water supply.

The 38 million gallon reservoir provides water to the city's population of 600,000.

The refill is estimated to have cost the taxpayer tens of thousands of dollars. It is not the first time the reservoir has been drained - over the past five years it has happened several times, most recently in October following an almost identical incident.

Portland Water Bureau Administrator David Shaff defended the decision, saying the reservoir could not distribute "deliberately contaminated" water.

''The reality is that our customers don't anticipate drinking water that's been contaminated by some yahoo who decided to pee into a reservoir.''

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/10774652/38-million-gallon-reservoir-drained-after-teenager-caught-urinating.html

Wow, I am so happy that authorities here don't allow the animals to pee in the river where I live. We'd have no drinking water, if they weren't so vigilant. Thank the Lord for these prescient individuals....keeping the ppm count in check. BTW, shouldn't we make it against the law for the whales to purposefully urinate in our oceans? Just a thought.....

• Upvote 2

This is why Chlorine, Ozone and UV are used. The PPMs of urine in that water would be so minute you could not detect it. 

This is so rediculous that whoever made this decision should be seriously checked out and removed from their posion for wasting money and a natural resource, All they had to do was re-treat the water and use it.

• Upvote 3

Wow Umberto!!! What a small world!!!

Being from Oregon...I used to live a few blocks from Mt Tabor park... used to take my kids there to play all the time when they were little. :)

For those who don't seem to realize... Mt Tabor is in the middle of a very large city, Portland OR... that is where this reservoir (large cement pond) is located with a very high fence around it... no bears or whales that I ever saw.

The water comes from Bull Run reservoir and was touted as better than "bottled water". I loved that water and sure do miss it now.

Who knew it would be the little things I'd miss when I moved to Utah... Like... Really Nice Water!

i hope he has to pay for that

Me Too SG!!! :(

Make him drink a quart of his own,, he will think twice about it next time... :twocents:

That would be a "just punishment".

This is why Chlorine, Ozone and UV are used. The PPMs of urine in that water would be so minute you could not detect it. 

This is so rediculous that whoever made this decision should be seriously checked out and removed from their posion for wasting money and a natural resource, All they had to do was re-treat the water and use it.

Nstoolman I hear you... that would be the case if you had water that needed to be treated.

The idea has always been that the water is so clean that they never had to set up water treatment processes for that facility.

So maybe they had to make that call... especially if it was plastered all over the Neuz.

People there are kinda funny that way... about wanting their water to be clean.

Maybe they drained it so folks would not have that picture in their head every time they turn on the tap.

I dunno... I wasn't there.  but I do know that kid went to a lot of effort to scale the fence and pi** in everyone's drinking water.

Edited by Maggie123
  • Upvote 2

MY BAD... I just read up on this and they took down the tall fence and made a jogging path around it. :shrug:

That's Just STUPID... no fence and no guards like they used to have... it's like they are just asking for this to happen.

Hmmm... I wonder who profits every time it does?

Right now it is controlled by the city council (good ole boys)... the citizens are fighting to take back control...

and give the control of their water system to an elected water board.

There are a lot of other issues there concerning waste and contamination to their water... and not just at the reservoir.

Edited by Maggie123
  • Upvote 2

Typical waste of our tax dollars!  What about all the ducks and geese landing in it and $#($ing it?  That's what the chlorine is for or how about all the chemicals coming out of the sky from our friends in China, where do you think acid rain comes from?  Not to mention city drinking water usually has 3 times as much chlorine as what is recommended for a swimming pool. (Pool  1 to 1.5, city water 3 to 4 parts)  Also your cancer risk on city water (because of the chlorine is 93% higher then water with out it this from our own government)

I'm in the water business, it's not pretty, not at all. :( 

Oh, and for all you bottled water lovers out there, you are being taken for a ride, I've tested them all, the ONLY one I'd recommend would be Auqafina (Pepsi).  The others are loaded up with chemicals, usually nitrates (from sewage) some like Chippewa Spring water is almost at the legal limit for it.  You can take a bottle fill it from your own tap and you have.......................yep bottled water, you don't have to tell anyone what's in it as long as it's under the legal limit for about 3 of the over 2,000 chemicals the EPA has found in water supplies around the world.

Watch for the ones that say (purified by reverse osmosis with certain minerals added to enhance the flavor), Nitrates are a chemical not a mineral, you can't taste it, see it, or smell it, and it's the last thing you want in your water (cause of blue baby syndrome, as it suffocates you from the inside, also causes cancer, and is an indicator the water supply is contaminated as it's one of the last things to show up).  When you see the (certain mineral) thing, what it really should say is the reverse osmosis system being used is a POS, we couldn't get everything out, so you will still taste something, but that doesn't make good advertising now does it!

How about Arsenic?  The EPA wanted the safe level allowed in drinking water set at 3 ppb (parts per billion) they had to settle for 10 ppb.  Why?  Because to many cities didn't have the money to clean up their water enough to comply. Soooooo.....................you can't have this much but now you can have this much more! Because we can't afford to fix it, but they sure as hell aren't going to tell YOU that!!

• Upvote 3

Typical waste of our tax dollars!  What about all the ducks and geese landing in it and $#($ing it?  That's what the chlorine is for or how about all the chemicals coming out of the sky from our friends in China, where do you think acid rain comes from?  Not to mention city drinking water usually has 3 times as much chlorine as what is recommended for a swimming pool. (Pool  1 to 1.5, city water 3 to 4 parts)  Also your cancer risk on city water (because of the chlorine is 93% higher then water with out it this from our own government)

How about Arsenic?  The EPA wanted the safe level allowed in drinking water set at 3 ppb (parts per billion) they had to settle for 10 ppb.  Why?  Because to many cities didn't have the money to clean up their water enough to comply. Soooooo.....................you can't have this much but now you can have this much more! Because we can't afford to fix it, but they sure as hell aren't going to tell YOU that!!

True... That is the case where I live now. :( Not to mention Floride...

Edited by Maggie123

Crazy Huh? I dunno why they drained it? :confused2: They do chlorinate it... seems like that would have taken care of it.

I tried to find something to say why it but no luck... I did find this site though that explains their system.

They honestly don't do anything much more than chlorinate it that I could see. In fact they are fighting the Feds to get a waiver against installing a treatment plant because they have done fine without one for over a hundred years... check it out... lots of pretty pictures. :)

http://bullrunwaiver.org/   

•  

• Construction of Reservoir 6 at Mount Tabor 1910
Frequently Asked Questions

Click on Question to see answer – Click on question again to close.

1. What is the purpose of the Bull Run Waiver?

A “waiver” is voluntarily giving up a right or privilege. Whereby, EPA would give up the right to force us to add unneeded Bull Run treatment and cover our reservoirs under the Long Term 2 Enhanced Surface Water Treatment Rule. The purpose of the waiver is to stop spending, building, and degrading our drinking water for a public health problem that does not exist.

The waiver is a simple agreement between City of Portland and EPA/Congress to exempt City of Portland from scientifically unsupported EPA Long Term 2 Enhanced Surface Treatment Rule. The “variance” process used in the past has been a failed strategy and is insufficient because it is temporary. It allows unneeded construction projects and water rates to increase and tolerates an uncertain outcome.

2. What is the EPA LT2 Rule and how does it affect the Bull Run water system? 3. Is Bull Run drinking water currently filtered or treated with chemicals?

Bull Run source water is in a federally protected watershed prohibiting human entry unless to provide water maintenance. It is one of a very few US watersheds that is unfiltered. It remains unfiltered because the water is pristine and is not exposed to agricultural, industrial, or municipal sewage, thus removing risk from toxic chemicals and human based disease microorganisms. It is treated with chlorine and ammonia to manage microorganisms.

4. Are the open reservoirs at Mount Tabor and Washington Park at risk from terrorism, vandalism, or earthquakes?

The open reservoirs at Mount Tabor and Washington Park provide significant public health benefits for our drinking water. Portland has had no microbial or chemical public health incidents or deaths since the reservoirs were opened 100 years ago. In 2004 the City of Portland convened the Independent Review Panel to determine the future of our open drinking water reservoirs. After months of review and public testimony, a majority of the Panel’s members decided that there was no compelling reason to bury the reservoirs at that time, nor may there ever be a compelling reason to bury them. A risk mitigation plan including increased security would be sufficient. During the long review panel process reservoir seismic summaries stated that the reservoirs are not located in an area of high seismic concern creating no potential risk to the reservoirs. A few years ago an extensive engineering study acknowledged the reservoirs are in “good condition” and with routine maintenance would safely function for the next half century.

5. The City of Portland already has a variance for treatment; why is waiver process being sought? 6. Portland’s reservoirs are over 100 years old. Is the system still functional or outdated? 7. What are the benefits of open reservoirs vs. covered reservoirs? 8. EPA based the LT2 Rule on a sewage event in Milwaukee Wisconsin in 1993; is this concern to the Bull Run water system? 9. Does Cryptosporidium pose a threat to our drinking water and our health? 10. What is the cost of complying with the EPA LT2 Rule and how will that cost affect ratepayers?

Water rates in Portland have doubled over the last few years because of EPA LT2 spending. Hundreds of millions have been wasted planning, designing, and building projects for a public health problem that does not exist and never will. The public health risk is not measurable because we do not have sewage exposure in Bull Run. If we do not demand an EPA Safe Drinking Water Act Waiver from LT2 we will continue to spend over $1 billion including debt.

11. How is the issue of Radon related to drinking water? 12. Will UV treatment of our water pose health risks? 13. Is it true EPA has said; “Science will determine ultimate outcome”?

Yes. This is good news for Portland and for our request for an EPA Safe Drinking Water Act Waiver. The scientific weight of evidence continues to grow for Portland to obtain our waiver. It’s up to us and our elected officials to demand a waiver we clearly deserve.

14. Has there been any public health evidence this EPA rule is really needed?

No. From around the United States none of the public health benefits EPA proposed as the reason for the Cryptosporidium regulation have come true. For over 20 years since Milwaukee Wisconsin sewage event;

0 – surface water utility outbreak events

0 – deaths from Cryptosporidium

0 – endemic disease from drinking water

There is no scientific evidence Portland has to add treatment to Bull Run water or cover our open reservoirs.

15. What can I do to help preserve our Bull Run Water system which has served us so well over 100 years?

Copyright © 2013, bullrunwaiver.org -- Privacy | Sitemap

Tried to edit... sorry

Edited by Maggie123
  • Upvote 2

Bill the parents for the entire cost.

Make an example of them.

It's time for parents to be responsible

for their kids.

If my dog bites someone, as the owner,

I'm responsible because I trained the dog.

Why doesn't the same apply to parents?

After all, didn't they raise the kid?

***Takes a question from the audience***

Our educational system, as well as the social programs

in this county, are too screwed up and would not support

the methods needed to properly raise children.

How would you solve that problem?

That's a very good question.

The short answer is for every American citizen to stand up

together and tell all the agencies involved to go perform

and auto-erotic act on themselves while we, the people,

will handle the raising of our children.

We pay for the schools.

We should be telling them how and what to be teaching

our children.

Maybe it does take a villiage to raise a child, but not

when the Villiage Idiot is running the program...

• Upvote 1

The short answer is for every American citizen to stand up

together and tell all the agencies involved to go perform

and auto-erotic act on themselves while we, the people,

will handle the raising of our children.

We pay for the schools.

We should be telling them how and what to be teaching

our children.

Second!

All in favor?

I wonder if they had to de-contaminate it before they drained it. :rolleyes:    If they did'nt then where are they putting this "deliberatly contaminated" water? :D  

Was the hazmat team called in? :lmao:   

Don't get me wrong....that kid should know better and should be fined or something for it.  Draining it is a different story in my opinion, if a water supply can be deliberatly contaminated that easy and this not being the first time, then I have to blame it on the city for not doing more to protect the publics water.

:shakehead:  :confused:  :shakehead:

Sounds like BS to me...............................................no one drinks water straight from a lake! It has to go thru a treatment process. LOL

If you believe this story; I have some beach front property to sell you in Oklahoma. ;)

Doood . . . the beaches in Oklahoma are most Xcellent. Stoopendous and Knarly waves Bro. . . Yep, sounds like Crap. I think someone is yanking our Lariat.