Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

This is why minimum wage should not be raised

Two examples why I believe minimum wage should remain where it is at or lowered.

1. This morning I stopped at a store when I got to the register the clerk rang me up and it came to $6.71.

I handed him $7.00 and he just stood there looking at me finally I asked what?

He said the total is $6.71 I asked him if he thought that 6 point 71 was bigger then 7point 00. He actually had to enter it into his cash register to realize he owed me change.

1. Couple of weeks ago I was building a second story deck the customer has a person who works for that they call a handyman.

I hate it when they call this guy a handyman I call him a dipstick the only thing he can do is rake leaves, weed eat, paint

But anyway I am up working on this deck when he yells up to me and wants to know if I have something to grind off some loose metal on his lawn mower

So I told him that in my front toolbox there are two grinders a small one and a large one laying side by side the large one has a metal cutting disk the small one doesn’t

20 minutes later he was back saying that the disk would not cut the metal I looked down and there he was holding the small grinder in his hands

I told him yeh well it won’t cut tile anymore either.

Had to get down get the big grinder right next to where he got the small grinder and do the grinding myself. Cost me $16.00  dollars to replace the tile blade

I have no idea what these two people are paid for what they do but I really believe it is too much.  

No Surrender No Retreat and No Compromise

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

"stupid is as stupid does"

USA education system (I assume it's from the US), because I have had numerous experiences like these.

One of my employees one day while washing my company truck, he took steel wool to the fender to remove some tar. Took the paint right off. I asked what the heck he was thinking, and his answer to me was: It's just a work truck.

Wm13

Edited by waterman13
  • Upvote 2

I hear ya ..... the kids in my office often complain about how much their paid (which is way above minimum wage btw ) most have masters degrees in engineering yet with the absolute BS that comes out of their mouths on a daily basis I really have doubts about the education system.

What they don't seem to realise is that is that you dont leave university and automatically jump to the top pay scale, A good education is only "a good starting point" to base a career on. My boss (he's 64 years old) never went to university yet he can out do me on a good day with the technical stuff  ...... that's what you get from experience and years of hard work, and that's exactly what entitles you to a higher wage.

We got pay raises recently (they were just inflation adjusted increases) mine was a bit more, well about 10% more. Some were a little annoyed at this but when I reminded them that I do 70+ hours a week and they do 40 they backed down pretty quickly.

getting back on topic,

yeah some people are just idiots, but I would prefer these idiots are working for minimum wage (even if they don't deserve it) rather than me having to support them through government benefits. 

• Upvote 3

When I was in the Navy, I was an Electrician's Mate and I remember sitting in the shop on board ship and a striker (trainee) walked in with black electrical tape on his fingers.  I asked him what he was doing with tape on his fingers, and he said he didn't have fuse pullers, and he needed to pull fuses (from a live panel). :facepalm: Special Ed started right then and there.

-

• Upvote 2

Great posts gang!!  Some people don't deserve minimum wage, if they want more they need to put forth more then a minimum effort with a minimum attitude and stop just doing time on our dime!!

When I was in the Navy, I was an Electrician's Mate and I remember sitting in the shop on board ship and a striker (trainee) walked in with black electrical tape on his fingers.  I asked him what he was doing with tape on his fingers, and he said he didn't have fuse pullers, and he needed to pull fuses (from a live panel). :facepalm: Special Ed started right then and there.

-

:o  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  No not that one the red one....................what?..............no that..........................zzzzrzrrrrrp!

You are a good guy Mark, I'd have let him go for it so I could watch, it's just God's way of culling the dumb ones out of the gene pool and it gives great entertainment value!!  

• Upvote 1

-

oh thats brilliant ..... I was an electrician before I went to university to study engineering, I have met people like that too.

we used to send apprentices off on long walks for random stuff that doesn't exist like sky hooks or tartan paint or for the "long stand" I can remember one time we were cutting some large cables 1000mm squared with grinders , I had these two guys convinced that the cables were so expensive that they had to stand below us and catch the sparks in buckets ...... i've never laughed so much.

Some people don't deserve minimum wage, if they want more they need to put forth more then a minimum effort with a minimum attitude and stop just doing time on our dime!!

Couldn't have said it any better myself

• Upvote 4

-

HAHAHA.. now thats funny.

When I left the aerospace industry and jumped into construction there was one old timer that tried to teach me the "proper" way to check for live voltage when you don't have a meter.

I won't bother to explain the process, but apparently it was widely used before solenoid meters became widely available.

With my heavy electronics background they thought I was a freaking superstar, and I just wondered how the heck they were still alive with their lack of knowledge, and no ambition to learn what they were doing.

• Upvote 1

HAHAHA.. now thats funny.

When I left the aerospace industry and jumped into construction there was one old timer that tried to teach me the "proper" way to check for live voltage when you don't have a meter.

I won't bother to explain the process, but apparently it was widely used before solenoid meters became widely available.

With my heavy electronics background they thought I was a freaking superstar, and I just wondered how the heck they were still alive with their lack of knowledge, and no ambition to learn what they were doing.

there are lots of ways to check ...... most of them not safe lol, by today's standards anyway

my favorite which my grandad thought me when I was about 6 years old, was for electric fences (he was a farmer).

Hold a blade of grass in your hand and put the other end on the fence if it jumps it's live.

• Upvote 1

A different idea on this.  This proposed increase will be about 30%.  There never has been an increase like this one that I can find.  There is much speculation about where the value of the dollar is headed, and the possibility of Global Currency Reset, where many believe the dollar will lose about 30% or more.  Would this be a way for the govt. to balance this out?  With 47% of the country on some sort of assistance this might help prevent some future civil unrest, if indeed the dollar devalues.

Edited by coorslite21
  • Upvote 2

A different idea on this.  This proposed increase will be about 30%.  There never has been an increase like this one that I can find.  There is much speculation about where the value of the dollar is headed, and the possibility of Global Currency Reset, where many believe the dollar will lose about 30% or more.  Would this be a way for the govt. to balance this out?  With 47% of the country on some sort of assistance this might help prevent some future civil unrest, if indeed the dollar devalues.

the problem is, if the dollar devalues 30% and minimum wage increases 30% ..... it's a zero gain situation.

the dollar goes down 30% which means goods and services cost 30% more so wages are increased by 30%  to correct........ you get what im saying.

I find it funny when I hear Americans talk about the "hypothetical" scenario where the dollar devalues ...... it's is devaluing .... daily .... your dollar is worth something like 96% less than it was 100 hundred years ago, the pound isn't much better either it's lost 80%.

• Upvote 1

there are lots of ways to check ...... most of them not safe lol, by today's standards anyway

my favorite which my grandad thought me when I was about 6 years old, was for electric fences (he was a farmer).

Hold a blade of grass in your hand and put the other end on the fence if it jumps it's live.

:lol: I thought you were going to say pee on it!

-

• Upvote 1

When I was young, my aunt was feeding a carrot to one of the horses and it fell on the ground, she bent over to pick it up and her butt touched the the electric fence!  :o  :lol:

It was hilarious!

Wm13

Reminds me of the video below ....... the best part is the face plant into the cow pie

http://youtu.be/TBMHLhlSClA

• Upvote 2

hahahhahaha   bare butt  to the electric fence ,  {  ohhhh I think  a wage of  maybe 6.oo and  hour !  }   now  for security reasons ,  ya  need this one  ---> west Virginia ninja youtube .com    this  guy is  top of the wage  division ,    sorry I haven't been able to post  things

but  really ,  how  can one  truly  justify  10  to 15  dollar hour  burger flippers ,  or  cash  drawer  operators ?

Kinda like when I was running a boat and the mate came up on the bridge and asked me how far we can go if we just keep going. I replied "Half way"'  He gave me a quizzical look. I then replied "you can only go halfway because then you are coming back".  I think he is still shaking his head.

Reminds me of the video below ....... the best part is the face plant into the cow pie

http://youtu.be/TBMHLhlSClA

Why??? Just Stupid!!!

The good ole boys here seem to keep ignoring that they made a better hourly wage way back in the day when pumping gas...

than waitresses do today @ $2.20.

How Special. :)

Edited by Maggie123

I can justify those burger flippers they deserve the money at least they work hard

just look at our government I guess they are worth their money?

I'm willing to bet obama cant flip a burger but he sure knows how to flip us off.

minimum wage should be raised to match the cheap shotty products coming from china

at a much higher cost to us.

The only reason minimum wage shouldnt be raised is if you are a business owner

who doesnt care about its workers.if they are stupid why did you hire them?

forrest gump said stupid is as stupid does.

or if the cost of being competitive costs more than the end product or service is worth.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I`m sorry  gotta disagree with  the burger flipper and 15.00  dollar deals   ---  if  they are making  such low pay  they must  get another  job  or something too eas  the pain ,  at one time a few years ago , I had 3 jobs , one full time  at over 10 an hour  to fill in  for child support --- I took a 7 dollar hour welding  deal ,  helped out  air  condition guy  for extra  money ,  even  these  last few days   have felt the  sort of urge  to pick up a less  than  shinny  job ,  but anything  to keep from  going bankrupt .. or  hungry ,  but  I do feel for those less fortunate in the experience fields ,  and those with kids to try to take care of  on top of trying to work .... I hope that if this dang  dinar deal comes out like I think ,  be able to do some good for the less fortunate    

• Upvote 1

I`m sorry  gotta disagree with  the burger flipper and 15.00  dollar deals   ---  if  they are making  such low pay  they must  get another  job  or something too eas  the pain ,  at one time a few years ago , I had 3 jobs , one full time  at over 10 an hour  to fill in  for child support --- I took a 7 dollar hour welding  deal ,  helped out  air  condition guy  for extra  money ,  even  these  last few days   have felt the  sort of urge  to pick up a less  than  shinny  job ,  but anything  to keep from  going bankrupt .. or  hungry ,  but  I do feel for those less fortunate in the experience fields ,  and those with kids to try to take care of  on top of trying to work .... I hope that if this dang  dinar deal comes out like I think ,  be able to do some good for the less fortunate    

Would $10.10 be ok with you JeepGuy? I mean really the RV may be a ways off and these people gotta eat.

Maybe you are A-Ok with us supplementing the workers wages for the fat cat corps.... ie foodstamps...

They (the corps) have to eat too... just how much is the question.

There is plenty to go around if the corps were not so greedy... why defend them?

JMHO

• Downvote 1

until we can control the "greedy" corp raising min wage is not going to help. (and no I do not advocate controlling business) but what liberals do not get is it is trickle up raise min wage raise cost of goods so the % they keep is the same. Quite blaming everyone else if you don't like what you are making take steps to change it. Start a biz, get a second job, get a trade, go back to school, my goodness what happened to personal responsibility?

and as far as waitress wages, they have the control to make more by being more of service. They are not controlled by their hourly wage they can get tips for EXCELLENT service.  I know waitresses and bartenders that make more than some corp types.

• Upvote 2