Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

This is why minimum wage should not be raised

Minimum wage here in the UK is the equivalent of just over $10 per hour.

It's not gonna make anyone rich but it certainly puts food on the table, pays the rent and other bills ..... and people would still prefer not to work and claim benefits.

The only way I see it working is if all benefit programs were cut, obviously if you were disabled and couldn't work that would be different but any able bodied person would not receive anything in the form of government handouts then and only then could the higher wage work.

but then you run the risk of all the people in higher paid jobs demanding more money, I know I would.

• Upvote 2

It's not gonna make anyone rich but it certainly puts food on the table, pays the rent and other bills ..... and people would still prefer not to work and claim benefits.

The only way I see it working is if all benefit programs were cut, obviously if you were disabled and couldn't work that would be different but any able bodied person would not receive anything in the form of government handouts then and only then could the higher wage work.

but then you run the risk of all the people in higher paid jobs demanding more money, I know I would.

Thank You Machine... I agree.

Just a guess... I'll bet you make a whole lot more than $10.10 an hour. :) Good luck with that raise. :D

until we can control the "greedy" corp raising min wage is not going to help. (and no I do not advocate controlling business) but what liberals do not get is it is trickle up raise min wage raise cost of goods so the % they keep is the same. Quite blaming everyone else if you don't like what you are making take steps to change it. Start a biz, get a second job, get a trade, go back to school, my goodness what happened to personal responsibility?

and as far as waitress wages, they have the control to make more by being more of service. They are not controlled by their hourly wage they can get tips for EXCELLENT service.  I know waitresses and bartenders that make more than some corp types.

With that kind of thinking... maybe we should lower the min. wage and then you could get a $7.00 burger for $6.00.

Yeah the corps pass on all their good fortune to us... don't they.

If I was a waitress I would resent being at the mercy of folks to decide what I'm going to make that hour.

Are you a big tipper?

BTW many restaurant people and pizza delivery people have college degrees these days. :)

Edited by Maggie123

maybe  what  we really need ------- give up  our  industrial deals,  and  go back to the  world of  farming ,   { I don`t know  what the out come will be folks , but in the  days of my youth , as with every one that is above 40 years of age ,   you have to start at the bottom of the ladder ...  there is no  easy way to over come the  poor , except  experience  ,  with experience  you  learn  how to  save , what to do , and how to survive .... }  I have  really been  put to  the task  of  thinking  how to help  these less fortunate  <---------  my family member ,   so lets look at it this way ------>  lets take ,  say  the dinar  hits at 1 to 1  we make a great  deal of money ,  so -- we  get  5 or so dinar  richer  folks that  are in the same  region of a state or area ,  they build a couple of house`s that  will hold  say  5  people ,  now we have these folks off the street ,  we  charge them  a real  low price to live there <------ when they pay this ,  we  use this money to build another  house ,  take  one of the original  occupants , and another 4  folks  and then repeat ,  until  they are self sufficient .... so  if  we  can  get   a house  for  around 100,000  --- that is  25,ooo  apiece  { has to be a tax  hole  here some where }  with I think about 10 years  would that  have helped  50 people ?  just with  one  example ? multiply that by  say  20  dinar investors  who  did the  same  deal ------- 1000  folks off the street , and off to better  living ....  where  does  helping  start  and  start .... this is one  big  question , as too how to help  those making under  minimum  wages ,     

I can justify those burger flippers they deserve the money at least they work hard

just look at our government I guess they are worth their money?

I'm willing to bet obama cant flip a burger but he sure knows how to flip us off.

minimum wage should be raised to match the cheap shotty products coming from china

at a much higher cost to us.

The only reason minimum wage shouldnt be raised is if you are a business owner

who doesnt care about its workers.if they are stupid why did you hire them?

forrest gump said stupid is as stupid does.

or if the cost of being competitive costs more than the end product or service is worth.

I can agree our govt certainly doesn't earn their pay.  But burger workers work hard?  Please, half the time they are sitting around on their butts not doing anything other then watching the clock tick away.  It's not the job it's the attitude.  Like I said in a previous post kids coming out of college that took it seriously have no problems finding jobs, very good jobs, those kids are hard to find, they are usually employed before they graduate.

It's the kids that go to school cuz it seemed like the thing to do and they were pressured by their parents to be there, that have difficulty getting their "dream" job.  It's because their employer sees the same attitude on the job site they portrayed in school, "I'm here to do my time, collect my check, and I'm gone"

You obviously have never owned a business if you are here whining about how burger flippers need "Mo Money" and if they don't get it it means the business owner doesn't care.  What it means is whether they are paid $8 an hour our $12 per hour, they still put forth a $5 per hour job, but now they think they should get paid even more for doing practically nothing.  I can make it really simple for all those wanting that big minimum raise, you won't be paid that, you will be jobless!  Business owners aren't going to pay you more then they make themselves when they are the ones taking all the risk while you are taking NONE!!  They will kick you to the curb and either do it themselves by downsizing or close shop and go on the govt. nursery supply line, then we can all figure out what happens when there is no one left for you parasites to feed off of and you can eat yourselves!  Way to many out there who don't appreciate the fact they even have a job.

Thank You Machine... I agree.

Just a guess... I'll bet you make a whole lot more than $10.10 an hour. :) Good luck with that raise. :D

With that kind of thinking... maybe we should lower the min. wage and then you could get a $7.00 burger for $6.00.

Yeah the corps pass on all their good fortune to us... don't they.

If I was a waitress I would resent being at the mercy of folks to decide what I'm going to make that hour.

Are you a big tipper?

BTW many restaurant people and pizza delivery people have college degrees these days. :)

Yes and many get very big tips, but don't claim them on their taxes or share them with the kitchen staff that sent the food out to get them that tip to begin with.  

This reminds me so much of the whiners crying for a smoking ban in bars.  "Oh we deserve to work in a safe environment, we should be able to have a meal in a safe environment"  Yep you should, take your money and go start your own non smoking place, don't tell someone else what to do with their business.  Since it's going into law here in MN, well over half the bars have closed their doors, and all those people are out on their butts, but hey at least they can breath easier right?

• Upvote 1

Great idea, except the whiners would then complain, well we need all those benefits I should be able to have a Ferrari and take my kid to the dentist right?  You are absolutely right on the higher paid people too, now suddenly after working for a company for years and actually showing up for work (what a whole generation of kids can't seem to figure out how to do) some slacker comes in and gets to start out at what you make?  I don't think so.  Not happening, all the good people would quit, because just like everything else the liberals do this would once again, "Reward laziness and punish success by taking away any desire to succeed or be better, if you are going to give my stuff away to people who do less why should I try to do more!"

Needless to say I'm pretty passionate about this...

Guess I march to a different drum than most here... That's ok.

Peace, Love, Bug :) Later...

Honestly I don't think you've ever been on the other side of the coin Maggie.  It's easy to say yep we should all be paid $100 per hour for a minimal work effort, as a business owner I'd love to do that, but those same people aren't going to pay 10 times as much for the product they just made because they raised it's production cost that much, see the problem?  It's not lack of compassion it's lack of money to do it.

Yes there are banksters, corporate elites, etc. etc. etc. but it's funny how all you "Raise the wage cheerleaders" out there lump them in with all the small businesses out there who are going under or scraping by, the same ones that employ the vast majority of you.  YOU WILL BE JOBLESS!  People get paid by the effort they put forth, and as an employer you know you have to pay good people a good living to keep them, that's not the problem.  The problem is the whiners that WON'T work hard and think they should still get the same check, again wanting to be rewarded for their lack of work ethic.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

until we can control the "greedy" corp raising min wage is not going to help. (and no I do not advocate controlling business) but what liberals do not get is it is trickle up raise min wage raise cost of goods so the % they keep is the same. Quite blaming everyone else if you don't like what you are making take steps to change it. Start a biz, get a second job, get a trade, go back to school, my goodness what happened to personal responsibility?

and as far as waitress wages, they have the control to make more by being more of service. They are not controlled by their hourly wage they can get tips for EXCELLENT service.  I know waitresses and bartenders that make more than some corp types.

You are spot on 100%  :twothumbs: 

I've been a server for years. Most servers average about $10 an hour above their wage. My best day was when I was working at a visitor center on Mt. St. Helens. It was a Thurs. in Oct., not the busy time of year. The day before was so slow the boss told the other server to stay home. I don't know where they all came from, the restaurant filled up at about 11:30, I'm talking 30 plus tables. By 3:30, there wasn't a sole in the place. I walked away with $160.00, in four hours! I gave the dishwasher $40, because he came out and bussed tables for me. Saved my bacon!. I also got three job offers, and some old lady tried to set me up with her grandson. If you're good at your job, you make good money. It's hard on the body though.

• Upvote 4

I've been a server for years. Most servers average about $10 an hour above their wage. My best day was when I was working at a visitor center on Mt. St. Helens. It was a Thurs. in Oct., not the busy time of year. The day before was so slow the boss told the other server to stay home. I don't know where they all came from, the restaurant filled up at about 11:30, I'm talking 30 plus tables. By 3:30, there wasn't a sole in the place. I walked away with $160.00, in four hours! I gave the dishwasher $40, because he came out and bussed tables for me. Saved my bacon!. I also got three job offers, and some old lady tried to set me up with her grandson. If you're good at your job, you make good money. It's hard on the body though.

Big "Atta Girl" for that attitude!! :twothumbs: Sorry I'm out of pluses, catch ya on the next one! You are exactly right, good people get paid more, are in demand, and deserve every penny they get!! You were considerate enough to share what you made with a person that helped make it happen, awesome!

What makes me mad, is the liberals out there would rather take half of what you made and give it to the person that didn't come in that day, because it was unfair in their eyes that you were their working your tail off and getting ahead of this other person who wasn't. (Not saying your coworker wasn't a good worker by the way, I have no idea, but I'm sure you get what I'm trying to say)

Edited by DiveDeepSix

Exactly Mountain Girl! Good for you! That is my point, the 2 bucks an hour is the least of the money. Its based on your effort not just because you showed up. I have been on salary, I have been on salary plus commission and I have been on straight commission. I would never want to have a job with a set wage again, that is putting a ceiling on my income I can and do work hard and I can make as much as I want. BTW I never went to college but I have always had a burning desire to succeed. I like to learn what I need and what I enjoy but there is so much useless stuff to get a degree that unless you want to be a DR or lawyer or engineer I have a hard time justifying it. Kids come out owing thousands and thousands and for what?

• Upvote 1

Exactly Mountain Girl! Good for you! That is my point, the 2 bucks an hour is the least of the money. Its based on your effort not just because you showed up. I have been on salary, I have been on salary plus commission and I have been on straight commission. I would never want to have a job with a set wage again, that is putting a ceiling on my income I can and do work hard and I can make as much as I want. BTW I never went to college but I have always had a burning desire to succeed. I like to learn what I need and what I enjoy but there is so much useless stuff to get a degree that unless you want to be a DR or lawyer or engineer I have a hard time justifying it. Kids come out owing thousands and thousands and for what?

Straight commission guy here as well and for the same reasons, 1 1/2 year college drop out too for the same reasons as well!  :twothumbs: I've started several great businesses and am doing just fine without a degree as are many of my friends and family.  Keep that burning desire for success my friend and it will take you much farther in life then any piece of paper, no matter what field you are in, it's people like yourself who have no worries about employment!!  :twothumbs: 

Edited by DiveDeepSix

Thanks! I felt every penny. The place I'm working now the owner says that if they raise the minimum wage to $10, that she's close enough to retirement, she's just closing the doors. I'm afraid that this is going to happen to a lot of small businesses. I'm looking into another line of work. Take my talent and make it pay for me. And no, I'm not opening a restaurant. Too much overhead. Too hard of work. And dare I say, I think there's a possibility that I'm getting to old for all this!

• Upvote 2

Big "Atta Girl" for that attitude!! :twothumbs: Sorry I'm out of pluses, catch ya on the next one! You are exactly right, good people get paid more, are in demand, and deserve every penny they get!! You were considerate enough to share what you made with a person that helped make it happen, awesome!

What makes me mad, is the liberals out there would rather take half of what you made and give it to the person that didn't come in that day, because it was unfair in their eyes that you were their working your tail off and getting ahead of this other person who wasn't. (Not saying your coworker wasn't a good worker by the way, I have no idea, but I'm sure you get what I'm trying to say)

I got her for ya dive! I had a spare emerald laying around not doin anything ;)

Thanks! I felt every penny. The place I'm working now the owner says that if they raise the minimum wage to $10, that she's close enough to retirement, she's just closing the doors. I'm afraid that this is going to happen to a lot of small businesses. I'm looking into another line of work. Take my talent and make it pay for me. And no, I'm not opening a restaurant. Too much overhead. Too hard of work. And dare I say, I think there's a possibility that I'm getting to old for all this!

This to shall pass.

It is called time in grade.

You will make it never give up.

Another ata girl!

Edited by Muleslayer
  • Upvote 1

Indeed "Atta Girl"!!  :twothumbs: 

I got her for ya dive! I had a spare emerald laying around not doin anything ;)

This to shall pass.

It is called time in grade.

You will make it never give up.

Another ata girl!

Thanks for covering my six buddy!!  :twothumbs:

• Upvote 1