Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Heavy snowfalls and freezing conditions as storms sweep through US Midwest

umbertino

A winter storm has blanketed the US Midwest in snow, disrupting transport and wreaking havoc on people's lives

12:00PM GMT 03 Jan 2014

A storm expected to bring more than a foot of snow, stiff winds and punishing cold pushed into northeast United States on Thursday.

Some schools in New England and New York closed well ahead of the snow, while cities mobilised ploughs and salt spreaders, and state offices sent workers home early.

Some major highways were ordered shut down overnight.

US airlines cancelled more than 2,300 flights nationwide on Thursday in advance of the storm.

Up to a foot (30.5 centimetres) of snow is expected overnight in Portland, Maine, with temperatures set to drop to -10 degrees Fahrenheit (-23 Celsius).

The heaviest snow is expected in coastal areas.

Six inches (15 centimetres) of snow fell in Rochester, New York, on Thursday.

Snow totals are expected to be at least one foot (30.5 centimetres) across western New York state by Friday morning.

Meanwhile, snow and low visibility forced the cancellation of 370 flights at Chicago's airports.

The Chicago Department of Aviation said on Thursday evening that 300 flights were cancelled at O'Hare International Airport, while many others were delayed.

Motorists had a rough time in central Indiana, as snow fell heavily during the overnight and early-morning hours.

Commute times were tripled for many as motorists, returning to work after the holidays, were treated to snow-packed highways and the resulting creeping traffic.

Numerous vehicle slide-offs made the commute even more difficult.

Source: APTN

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvideo/10548822/Heavy-snowfalls-and-freezing-conditions-as-storms-sweep-through-US-Midwest.html

• Upvote 1

Thanks for reminding me Umbertino.. :unsure:  .. I just spent nearly 22 hrs. driving in a snow storm tryin' to get back to N.C. from the frozen tundra of Wisconsin.... I think I froze my cheesy bum!!!  :rolleyes: 

Oh what we will do for relatives... but I don't think they fared any better... this is how my relatives looked when I pulled away from the house... they were running back in the house to get warm!!!!  :blush: 

anigif_enhanced-buzz-15412-1327085582-9.

• Upvote 3

other than raining here it's quite warm ..... we had 5 mins of very light snow on christmas eve and thats it so far.

one of the days last week even got up to 55 degrees.

We were promised the worst winter in 60 years ....... must be running late lol.

I suppose it can snow here anytime up till march.

• Upvote 3

Sorry about that Rod.. The main thing is that you're safe.

other than raining here it's quite warm ..... we had 5 mins of very light snow on christmas eve and thats it so far.

Yes I read about that worst winter in 60 years prediction.......Hmmm... I hope for you guys up there that it won't be the case.

• Upvote 2

We got two days last week up to 47 degrees..the snow melted and now it's the arctic wind blowing all week and continue to next week 

• Upvote 1

Sorry about that Rod.. The main thing is that you're safe.

Yes I read about that worst winter in 60 years prediction.......Hmmm... I hope for you guys up there that it won't be the case.

I really don mind, I'm pretty well equipped for those kind of conditions.

We got two days last week up to 47 degrees..the snow melted and now it's the arctic wind blowing all week and continue to next week 

it doesnt get as cold here as it does in some parts of the US, the coldest I've ever seen here was -24 Celsius (-10F) but we do have 85% - 100% humidity year round. We have had high winds here for the past two days and possibility of heavy snow by Sunday but the weathermen are as accurate as the dinar guru's, guess we'll see soon

• Upvote 2

In my part of the world ( Trentino-Alto Adige, North Italy) we had the warmest December in 30 or 40 years.....Now it's cold ( the way it should usually be) meaning it's normal for the season.....

A friend from here who works as a teacher in Ottawa ( he came back here for the holidays and will leave for Canada on Jan.6) told me just yesterday theat his GF in Ottawa called him to let him know the temp. the other day in Ottawa was minus 38 Celsius.....Supposedly ( I checked the converter) minus 36.400 F.

Here in our town, Trento, temp. was yesterday about 2-3 Celsius (35.600 F)...

So for him being here was  like vacationing in the Caribbean .....He's not happy at the thought of going back right now.

Edited by umbertino

I dont know how you guys do it. :shrug:   There must be something wrong with me. :(

Here in Miami temps are going down.  Tonight we're dropping going down to 68 degrees and Im having a hissy fit. :shakehead:

I have tropical blood , dont do well in cold weather. I need to move further south but Im so close to the edge Im about to fall into the caribbean ocean. :o

Guess where Im moving to after RV.......YAAAAAA thats right to some fabulous Island where its warm all year round.   :bravo:  

• Upvote 3

I dont know how you guys do it. :shrug:   There must be something wrong with me. :(

Here in Miami temps are going down.  Tonight we're dropping going down to 68 degrees and Im having a hissy fit. :shakehead:

I have tropical blood , dont do well in cold weather. I need to move further south but Im so close to the edge Im about to fall into the caribbean ocean. :o

Guess where Im moving to after RV.......YAAAAAA thats right to some fabulous Island where its warm all year round.   :bravo:  

ha ha ha ..... 68 F thats like 20 Celsius ...... we'd be lucky to get that in the middle of summer

I've been to Miami a few years back for a month ..... it was HOT !! nice to visit but it was just a bit too hot for my blood

• Upvote 2

One August night I was in Cordoba, Andalucia, Spain and at midnight the outside temp was 39 C or 102.2 F.

And that's Spain , Europe.

the last time I was in Egypt it was 49C (120.2F) during the day and 29C (84.2F) at night, there was no air-con where I was staying ...... Nightmare !!!

even the unheated pool outside was about 28C during the day just from the sun heating it, But It felt like glacial melt water compared to the 49C during the day  lol.

I think the hottest nighttime temperature I've ever experienced was in Crete during a heatwave, it was 34C (93F) ..... it was almost unbearable ..... again no air conditioning, day time temperatures were in the low 50's C (about 124 F +)

I actually completed a 20 mile hike of the Santorini gorge while I was there in 1 day ........ I thought I was going to die by the end of it, almost ran out of water. I was very lucky.

the last time I was in Egypt it was 49C (120.2F) during the day and 29C (84.2F) at night, there was no air-con where I was staying ...... Nightmare !!!

even the unheated pool outside was about 28C during the day just from the sun heating it, But It felt like glacial melt water compared to the 49C during the day  lol.

I think the hottest nighttime temperature I've ever experienced was in Crete during a heatwave, it was 34C (93F) ..... it was almost unbearable ..... again no air conditioning, day time temperatures were in the low 50's C (about 124 F +)

I actually completed a 20 mile hike of the Santorini gorge while I was there in 1 day ........ I thought I was going to die by the end of it, almost ran out of water. I was very lucky.

I felt the strongest heat in Ghana and in Brazil in January ( Their summer).

In Ghana I had those eczema spots on my back and I kept scratching like crazy. Finally I was told to get mentolated talcum which helped.

I felt the strongest heat in Ghana and in Brazil in January ( Their summer).

In Ghana I had those eczema spots on my back and I kept scratching like crazy. Finally I was told to get mentolated talcum which helped.

I  really want to go to Ghana and see some of there gold mining operations but I dont think It's going to happen this year

• Upvote 2

Ya I have dug out twice now and it looks like I will be doing it again tomorrow.

Made it to the store stocked up on the necessities (beer) . 

Got snowed in by the big one in 82 with out it.

Not pretty

Swore I would never let that happen again.  :)

This is the kinda a winters we used to get when I was a kid.

Wind chill -60  you do nothing outside. You hole up like a

rabbit till the weather breaks.  

Endless Yatzee