Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Minimum Wage Strike Backfires, Employer Closes

Minimum Wage Strike Backfires, Employer Closes
DECEMBER 25, 2013 BY B. CHRISTOPHER AGEE

Minimum-Wage-SC.jpg

Protesters from coast to coast have engaged in recent efforts to artificially raise the minimum wage to unsustainable levels. If successful, these shortsighted strikers will ensure massive layoffs and a sharp spike in retail prices to absorb the increased operating expense.

Sometimes, however, the strikes themselves can lead to similar unintended consequences. Such was the case with Snarf’s Sub Shop in Chicago, which was the site of a minimum wage rally earlier this month.

After four straight days of dormancy due to the strike outside, the sandwich shop apparently had great difficulty recovering. Though the store’s management denies any correlation, the business’ 20 employees received an electronic pink slip just two days before Christmas.

Moving forward, the store’s owners are considering the possible launch of a completely different restaurant next year – apparently without the workers who staged the detrimental walkout.

“The store is closing … for an unknown period of time for this remodeling and reconcepting,” an email to all employees stated. “All staff is terminated, effective Monday, December 23, 2013.”

While strikes at franchise locations of major corporations – such as McDonald’s and Subway – came and went with little effect on their bottom line, smaller operations are often unable to bounce back.

Snark’s marketing director Jill Preston said the closure is due to a slow Christmas season; however, the shop has operated through the month of December in previous years without closing completely. Furthermore, the shop is set to reopen as a completely different entity, leaving its legacy as a sandwich destination behind.

Preston concluded former employees will be able to apply for a position at the new restaurant. At that point, management will be able to decide whether to welcome back employees whose unreasonable demands forced the business to shut down for four days.

The offer was not sufficient for the Worker’s Organizing Committee of Chicago, the union behind this and a number of other area strikes.

Members of the union picketed the now-closed business Monday, seeking severance pay and replacement jobs for the fired employees.

“Three days before Christmas and not even a call,” communications director Deivid Rojas said in response, concluding the situation is “not fair.”

Only in the leftist mind does a participant in such a disruptive display deserve a reward from the victim of his tantrum.

The fact remains that operating a business – especially a restaurant – is a delicate balancing act. While most employers are happy to pay worthwhile employees what they are worth, indiscriminately paying more will not only result in a loss of revenue but an eventual loss of jobs.

–B. Christopher Agee

Read more at http://www.westernjournalism.com/minimum-wage-strike-backfires-employer-closes/#22qPIDbhopdsZSR5.99

• Upvote 7

Some things never happen as one would wish they would and some things like getting fired happens when you really need to work and make some cash , even at Christmas time. It is a shame that stuff like that happens(and it just happened to me) but for every door that closes, there is another one that opens. I hope these people find other things to do and get on with their lives. Being negative about things will only bring you down. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, smile and think positive thoughts.   :)

• Upvote 5

Most would agree that people wanting to make a higher wage should educate themselves...........and yet the sub shops of this nation depend on uneducated labor to make a profit.  It's a vicious cycle.   :mellow: 

GO RV, then BV

You have to sell a lot of sandwiches to even break even let alone pay your team 20 bucks an hour plus give them O care.

I went to night school while driving a truck 6 days a week . I went on to get several degrees that I use regularly.

If I can do it ANYONE can do it.

Peace

Come on RV

• Upvote 2

If someone wants more money the can go to a different employer or.... open their own business!

Exactly right!  They got exactly what they deserved!  Great article JonJon!  Hat's off to this business, many people (like these clowns) don't appreciate the fact they even have a job.  I'd have did the same thing, don't know how we can make it with out ya, but come Monday we are going to find out!

People should get paid what they are worth, again why I am a huge fan of commission only pay, I've been on it my whole life and get paid for my effort.  If you are lazy you will not make anything, if you are ambitious the sky is the limit!!  Parasites are terrified of commission pay, it means they can't get paid to sit on their lazy @$$es, a business owner can sort out the good and bad employees quick, fast, and in a hurry! :twothumbs: 

You might be on to something......... I wonder if the sub shop is going to feature a Mariachi band in it's next life.   :eyebrows: 

GO RV, then BV 

LOL  Featuring the new refried bean taco sub!!  Mmmm............actually that sounds pretty good! :drool: 

• Upvote 2

Exactly right!  They got exactly what they deserved!  Great article JonJon!  Hat's off to this business, many people (like these clowns) don't appreciate the fact they even have a job.  I'd have did the same thing, don't know how we can make it with out ya, but come Monday we are going to find out!

People should get paid what they are worth, again why I am a huge fan of commission only pay, I've been on it my whole life and get paid for my effort.  If you are lazy you will not make anything, if you are ambitious the sky is the limit!!  Parasites are terrified of commission pay, it means they can't get paid to sit on their lazy @$$es, a business owner can sort out the good and bad employees quick, fast, and in a hurry! :twothumbs: 

LOL  Featuring the new refried bean taco sub!!  Mmmm............actually that sounds pretty good! :drool: 

right on.

this is the worst time in history to be demanding and picketing. let your employer see that obamacare sticker, then see you out front picketing his or her business. goodbye.

i needed to hire two more techs, but choose to turn away the work instead. ill make mine, but obamacare is costing othes jobs

people will close their doors and take their money. just watch the first and second quarter of 2014. not good for job seekers

its pretty bad, when a business is turning away business, because they dont want to hire people under these laws. i know of a frw oter small businesses in the same boat. this is what obama calls economc stimulus? lol

• Upvote 1

I would milk that pink slip to death and make sure they dont ever sell another sandwich!

Its sure is funny they have enough money to open a new place one I would NEVER eat at.

I hope each and every one of you gets the same thing when you think you deserve more money.

What a sorry arsed business owner.I dont have to wait for my employess to ask for a raise they

get one every year and above my competiton.Its called LOYAL EMPLOYEES that will work hard

because they know its coming.You commision type businesses you suck!

Just pure greedy business owners they put profits over human being's!

I would just love to see you folks pay your bills on minimum wage! It would'nt be so funny then

people losing their jobs asking for more money.

As soon as this owner opens his new place I will tear him down and make him go out of business

and its real easy to do in the food industry I'd plant a cockroach in one of their meals and then

call the health department with pics for all to see can you say closure over human beings being paid

right in the first place! Screw that business owner cheap tight wad!Use people to make profit.

All of you should be ashamed of yourselves their is nothing wrong with asking for a raise.

I would'nt hire any of you thats for sure non caring and I hope it happens to you!

Its just amazes me the folks that just dont care anymore!Its just funny to you.

I want you to take care of your children for minimum wage and pay your house note to boot.

But laugh at others demise.Cold hearted fools!With prices going through the roof on everything

we buy with no salary increase BS! JUST PURE GREED!!!!! typical conservatives screw everyone

as long as I make mine!

I cant wait for you bigger fools who go to college and are in debt up to your eyeballs trying to

pay for college and then these cheap arses offer you minimum wage! Have fun!laugh somemore

you dam sure dont care about anyone but yourself!

No blessing for you!

May God Bless My business ONLY! because I care about human being's instead of huge profits

you cant take with you when you die!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Gullywumper -

I did work at minimum wage for years. After I quit my truckers position I barely scrapped by roommates bus, bike I did what ever I could (legally) to get through because I did not like the position I was In.

Now that I have employees I do take care of the ones that really want to work. There is nothing wrong with asking for a raise however if the money is not there then its not there. 

I don't know the shops financial position however I know it is a lot tougher running the show than it is working for the show.

I like the idea of free enterprise. Every one of the strikers should take their knowledge of how to run the business and become a direct competitor of the new shop.

I would never suggest living on a pink slip because there is no life in doing that.

Here we still have the freedom to become what ever we choose.

Just my two cents worth good or bad. 

Peace Brother

Come on RV so I can help some more people and keep spreading the word of Jesus Christ......

• Upvote 2

I would milk that pink slip to death and make sure they dont ever sell another sandwich!

Its sure is funny they have enough money to open a new place one I would NEVER eat at. I don't think they care!

I hope each and every one of you gets the same thing when you think you deserve more money.

What a sorry arsed business owner.I dont have to wait for my employess to ask for a raise they

get one every year and above my competiton.Its called LOYAL EMPLOYEES that will work hard

because they know its coming. Yeah Right! You commision type businesses you suck! Not for FREE!  ROFL

Just pure greedy business owners they put profits over human being's! Yep the same greedy folks that employ people like you and take all the risk everytime they open their doors!  While you get to go home and go to bed at night our business issues follow us 24/7, yep you can leave today have another job tomorrow, it doesn't work that way for a business owner, if you were one, which from your post you are not, you'd know that!

I would just love to see you folks pay your bills on minimum wage!  Minimum wage jobs aren't meant to be a career path slick, people are paid according to the job they are doing and what it's worth, sorry it doesn't take rocket science to flip a burger!  It would'nt be so funny then

people losing their jobs asking for more money.

As soon as this owner opens his new place I will tear him down and make him go out of business

and its real easy to do in the food industry I'd plant a cockroach in one of their meals and then

call the health department with pics for all to see can you say closure over human beings being paid

right in the first place! Yep now your secret is out you and your cockroach go to jail and are sued for something as stupid as that!  Screw that business owner cheap tight wad!Use people to make profit. Isn't that the reason you go into business Gully?  Make a profit? Or let me guess being the great business owner you are :rolleyes: you just own a business to give all it's profit away right?

All of you should be ashamed of yourselves their is nothing wrong with asking for a raise.

I would'nt hire any of you thats for sure non caring and I hope it happens to you!

Its just amazes me the folks that just dont care anymore!Its just funny to you.

I want you to take care of your children for minimum wage and pay your house note to boot.

But laugh at others demise.Cold hearted fools!With prices going through the roof on everything (Hmmm wouldn't have anything to do with cost of labor would it?  Again a business owner would know that!)

we buy with no salary increase BS! JUST PURE GREED!!!!! typical conservatives screw everyone

as long as I make mine!

I cant wait for you bigger fools who go to college and are in debt up to your eyeballs trying to

pay for college and then these cheap arses offer you minimum wage! Have fun!laugh somemore

you dam sure dont care about anyone but yourself!

No blessing for you!

May God Bless My business ONLY! because I care about human being's instead of huge profits

you cant take with you when you die!  Yep enjoy your hotdog stand there chief!

Well Gully G Wiz!

Obviously you are full of it and don't own a business, or you are in dinar sales, or you are a politician, that'd be the only way you could give your employees a raise every year in this economy!  I'm betting on #1. I tried to point out a few facts on your post for ya so next time you can atleast look like a business owner talking! :peace: 

So don't come crying to me slick, I don't pay people for sitting on their @$$es! 

Well said Bigwave!

Edited by DiveDeepSix
  • Upvote 3

GW,

So if your employees decided that even tho you give them a raise every year that it's not enough and picket in front of your business, are you still cool with that?

These employees in the article made a choice.......................so did the owner. Both now live with the consequences.

Edited by caz1104
  • Upvote 2

right on.

this is the worst time in history to be demanding and picketing. let your employer see that obamacare sticker, then see you out front picketing his or her business. goodbye.

i needed to hire two more techs, but choose to turn away the work instead. ill make mine, but obamacare is costing othes jobs

people will close their doors and take their money. just watch the first and second quarter of 2014. not good for job seekers

its pretty bad, when a business is turning away business, because they dont want to hire people under these laws. i know of a frw oter small businesses in the same boat. this is what obama calls economc stimulus? lol

You are exactly right!  All hell is going to break loose as far as unemployment when OCare's (yet to be read) parts are put into play!  Business owners are going to do exactly what you are doing, that's what we've been doing, yes Gully I'd love to pay my people $1000 per hour or more, but the jobs they do aren't worth that, and once the government is done bending over my businesses most of my employees still make more then I do. Now tell me why am I in business again? :shrug:   I do believe in rewarding the people that work harder, again commission based.  If you work twice as hard as the next guy you deserve to make twice as much, only a liberal or union crybaby would whine that this concept isn't fair!

Edited by DiveDeepSix
  • Upvote 1

shortsighted strikers?

I understand what you are talking about, really I do.

Prices will raise if minmum wage is increased BUT prices will raise anyway, so why not give these workers a little bit more to off set the cost of living!

No one takes that into account. There is no cost of living adjustment to minimum wage! As the cost of living goes up every year these folks do not get an increase.

If you want to cry about something - cry about the businesses who raise their prices without regard to the economy or the consumer. :)

Look bigwave I own a business and you would make good folks sit at your business trying to make it on commission

but make them sit their you suck period! I am a electronics major and make 10 times what you make

and I pass the profits out every quarter and they get to drive any vehicle of their choosing.

Plus I pay for any medical procedure of their choosing right out of profits I could'nt run my employees

off with a baseball bat.Theirs a differance between you and me I use my brain to make profits

not just use people so you can live a fatcat life!Your a user and a pumper of ignorance.

I get government contracts for the F15e and my guidence systems are the best bar none what does your

company do sell dinar? I bought my employees 5 million a piece just for being my employees.

You would'nt give your folks the time of day so go blow your own horn!

For instance subway made 38.5 million in profits last year but will only give its employees

30 hours a week @ minimum wage so who's the crook? I could make at least 50 sandwiches

a hour sold at 5.00 each thats 250.00 each hour of work and I did it for them for what 7.00 hr

it doesnt take a freaking rocket scientist to know they are getting phlucked by cheap business

owners like yourself.Your just unbelieveable and I would never do business with someone

like you cheapy! user of people for fatcat profits its whats wrong with America USER'S

And I warn you to watch your tone with me unless you just want to go to fry's and get you a new CPU

warning!I am a dam good hack to boot try me! I know you just enjoyed seeing people pushed out

on the street during christmas!

GW,

So if your employees decided that even tho you give them a raise every year that it's not enough and picket in front of your business, are you still cool with that?

These employees in the article made a choice.......................so did the owner. Both now live with the consequences.

Oh we have been down this road before caz they would'nt at my business they make more than a nasa employee

with better benefits than nasa could offer them.Plus I pay for all medical expenses.

1 month paid vacations plus a hunt lease to hell.You can try to bash me all you want to but my folks are very loyal

and are dam good electronics majors and we can build anything we want to the government buys it up

faster than we could produce them.I would laugh if they picketed me I would say are you not happy?

If you could show me where my competetors pay you more than I would match it plus 10%

I guess you guys are in the wrong business if you have to Phluck your employees.

You said you sold opprotunity and thats BS and probably on commission as well that sucks!

I cant help it I am smart MIT grad and all I earned it and now I rake it in and so do my employees!

NEXT!

shortsighted strikers?

I understand what you are talking about, really I do.

Prices will raise if minmum wage is increased BUT prices will raise anyway, so why not give these workers a little bit more to off set the cost of living!

No one takes that into account. There is no cost of living adjustment to minimum wage! As the cost of living goes up every year these folks do not get an increase.

If you want to cry about something - cry about the businesses who raise their prices without regard to the economy or the consumer. :)

:bravo: to gymrat someone who understands! Your awesome my friend!

you can tell these cheap arse business owners who cry to give their employees a piece of the pie!

LOSERS!I hope the same happens to them and rightly so!Plus +1

• Downvote 5

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :rolleyes:   Oh please, keep talking crap behind your computer monitor.............oops better look out there fella your boss is looking at you over your cubicle!!  MIT  :lol: Don't you need to know how to spell to go there?

For instance LOL,  I have a friend that owns a Subway, corporate may have made that, but the store owners sure didn't!  50 sandwiches an hour, yep, did you calculate the cost of the ingredients there too genius?  Didn't think so apparently they don't teach math at MIT either!

Good day to you kiddo!  I'm assuming you were talking to me and not Bigwave, so if you wanna come get me I'd be more then happy to meet you somewhere chief, I don't do well with threats, hack away big man! :eyebrows:  :lol:  :moon-from-car: 

Edited by DiveDeepSix
  • Upvote 2

Yep my little hotdog stand made more than you have in your whole life in one year!

Did you go to MIT I didnt think so by your writing! Your just a cheap arse business owner

who squanders away the profits on bubble gum and you cant even walk and chew at the same time!

cant help it you didnt open a viable buisness I did and my employees would mash you.

They love me and its why I can sit here a typing knowing they work hard for me without asking them to.

Loyalty try it sometime your businesses will profit!

Quit trying to profit off the backs of good folks who just want the same treatment to LIVE!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Gully did you lose your job at McDonald's right before Christmas? :D 

Yep my little hotdog stand made more than you have in your whole life in one year!

Did you go to MIT I didnt think so by your writing! Your just a cheap arse business owner

who squanders away the profits on bubble gum and you cant even walk and chew at the same time!

cant help it you didnt open a viable buisness I did and my employees would mash you.

They love me and its why I can sit here a typing knowing they work hard for me without asking them to.

Loyalty try it sometime your businesses will profit!

Quit trying to profit off the backs of good folks who just want the same treatment to LIVE!

Get a clue!  Yep I went here, I went there, I drive a Ferrari and fly my own jet!  If you went to MIT it must have been to mop the floors or something for someone with your skills! :lol: 

• Upvote 3