Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

No mid-Oct. paycheck for troops if government shuts down, lawmaker says

No mid-Oct. paycheck for troops if government shuts down, lawmaker says

With one week to go before a potential partial government shutdown, a key Republican lawmaker is warning troops to be financially prepared for the possibility of not getting a mid-October paycheck.

Rep. C.W. “Bill” Young, R-Fla., chairman of the House defense appropriations subcommittee, warns that the troops’ morale and readiness will suffer even though the Defense Department does not shut down when its funding stops.

“All military personnel will continue to serve and accrue pay, but will not actually be paid until appropriations are available,” Young said. The mid-month payday would be the first in jeopardy.

Additionally, he said most travel and permanent change of station moves “would be delayed or canceled” and benefits for line-of-duty deaths also would be suspended.

Military hospitals and clinics will remain open but would scale back on operations, “impacting routine medical and dental procedures,” Young said. He did not specifically mention any impact on Tricare health insurance benefits, but in past government shutdowns, payments to medical providers were delayed but treatment was still available.

Maintenance for facilities and weapons would stop, Young said, and most defense and service civilian employees would be “furloughed until appropriations are available.”

“Readiness and morale of our armed forces will suffer,” he said. “The impact of a shutdown on the department and the military and civilian families — many of whom live paycheck to paycheck — is simply catastrophic.”

On Friday, the House of Representatives passed a 76-day funding bill that would keep the government running from Oct. 1, the start of fiscal 2014, until Dec. 15. Most government agencies, including the Defense Department, could continue operating at existing funding levels.

A bill to keep the government running is not unusual, but this measure, H.J. Res. 59, is different. It includes a section defunding the 2010 Affordable Care Act health care reform. The White House has warned that President Obama would veto the bill if this provision is included.

There is a second, equally controversial rider on the bill, the Full Faith and Credit Act, which details a priority list for paying bills if the government exceeds its $16.7 trillion debt limit. Creditors would be paid first, with military and federal civilian paychecks, disabled veterans’ checks, Medicare payments to doctors, school lunch programs and other government debts ranking lower.

The Senate is due to take up the short-term spending bill Monday, but there is a deadline of midnight Sept. 30 for enactment of a bill to avoid shutdown.

Rep. Hal Rogers, R-Ky., the House Appropriations Committee chairman, agreed with Young’s assessment that troops won’t get paid if the government runs out of money.

“A government shutdown is a political game in which everyone loses,” he said, calling the House-passed bill one that “simply keeps the lights on in our government.”

http://www.armytimes.com/article/20130923/NEWS05/309230018/No-mid-Oct-paycheck-troops-government-shuts-down-lawmaker-says

I am willing to bet that none of our senators, congressmen, or the president miss a paycheck.

Roadrunner

Thats true. They have it written so that no matter what other part of the government needs to be shut down, they will continue to get their paychecks. It would literally take an act of congress to have their checks  revoked or delayed.

I am willing to bet that none of our senators, congressmen, or the president miss a paycheck.

Roadrunner

As well as all the Foreign Aid that we distribute all over the world while we have homeless vets here on the streets . . . and so on  . . . and so on . . . .

• Upvote 3

Just who are our "creditors"?... Might that be interest payments to the FED Reserve?

"There is a second, equally controversial rider on the bill, the Full Faith and Credit Act, which details a priority list for paying bills if the government exceeds its $16.7 trillion debt limit. Creditors would be paid first, with military and federal civilian paychecks, disabled veterans’ checks, Medicare payments to doctors, school lunch programs and other government debts ranking lower."

As well as all the Foreign Aid that we distribute all over the world while we have homeless vets here on the streets . . . and so on  . . . and so on . . . .

Dang Good Point!

This is beyond maddening.

They need to start doing their jobs... but they won't... so we need to get rid of every single incumbent in there. JMHO

• Upvote 1

I would think that our boys serving would be the first to get payed.

The boys in washington need to tighten their own belts and eat less lobster and quit drinking $200 bottles of wine

Maybe cut down to only one prostitute a week instead of three.

Our boys should come first. 

• Upvote 2

And who will be to blame? Republicans, Democrats, conservatives, liberals, every damn one of them in Washington. They have been deeking around with the debt for many years, and when was the last budget passed and carried out? Let's have a recall for every one of them and start over. Surely couldn't be worse than the BiPartisan do nothing bunch we have up there now.

Rant over sorry, I just am so fed up with all this political bullshiite

Edited by dinarling00
  • Upvote 1

I am so tired of our idiots in D.C.   Our dumba$$ president runs all over the world, sends his dumba$$ dog on a special flight, pays someone to take care of his dumba$$ dog better than most Americans make in a year, his dumba$$ wife and kids travel the world on OUR dime, yet the White House is closed to Americans because of budget cuts.  Congress could not find their butts with a GPS unit.  If they stepped in dog poop they would not be able to agree on whether to scrap it off, take a picture of it, or freeze dry it and THEN they would argue as to whose fault it was that it got stepped into in the beginning. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I would think that our boys serving would be the first to get payed.

The boys in washington need to tighten their own belts and eat less lobster and quit drinking $200 bottles of wine

Maybe cut down to only one prostitute a week instead of three.

Our boys should come first.

Agreed and on another note all 535 need to be replaced.

I am so tired of our idiots in D.C. Our dumba$$ president runs all over the world, sends his dumba$$ dog on a special flight, pays someone to take care of his dumba$$ dog better than most Americans make in a year, his dumba$$ wife and kids travel the world on OUR dime, yet the White House is closed to Americans because of budget cuts. Congress could not find their butts with a GPS unit. If they stepped in dog poop they would not be able to agree on whether to scrap it off, take a picture of it, or freeze dry it and THEN they would argue as to whose fault it was that it got stepped into in the beginning.

Because he is a dumbazz
  • Upvote 1

It's always the military and seniors that take the bite when o and his minions screw up. Time to put'em out of office. Wake up America. Need to take D.C and flush it and start over.What do we have to lose. Dems, Repubs, all, politicans nothing but a bunch of azz-kissing greedy bast**ds. Whew feel better now

• Upvote 2

Tired of all this arrogant senseless stupidty....it time to RECALL every elected dingbat in Washington.......Lets go people wake up...Have you become so hard hearted toward in action of truth that you can't see what is happening.....Do you like it this way....Is this the world you want for your kids and grandkids because if it is then you have no conscience.....Everyday one more law levied against our freedoms, everyday we are sinking.

• Upvote 2

So- as a federaI technician -  had to take 6 days without pay last fiscal year to help balance the non-existant budget. Let's see how many days I have to take off this year. This is just plain getting stupid.

So on top of my taking a 20% cut in pay for 3 of my paychecks, It looks like my drill pay for October may be non-existant?  So I get to go do my PT test for free it looks like. Not that I wouldn't show up - because it still needs to get done - but it is very tempting.

• Upvote 3

So- as a federaI technician -  had to take 6 days without pay last fiscal year to help balance the non-existant budget. Let's see how many days I have to take off this year. This is just plain getting stupid.

So on top of my taking a 20% cut in pay for 3 of my paychecks, It looks like my drill pay for October may be non-existant?  So I get to go do my PT test for free it looks like. Not that I wouldn't show up - because it still needs to get done - but it is very tempting.

That sux Tank......never been a big fan of puking for free.   :peace: 

GO RV, then BV

First, I really dont think these clowns will let the military folks go without pay. This is all a political BS stunt. And besdies, when I was a young-pup in the Moorines, I got into trouble a lot and had NPD stamped in the box indicating my expected salary. I survived! hahahaha.

Hey Doc - I was just told this morning that if the budget thing is still up in the air as of Monday, we (meaning the Army National Guard) will be cancelling our October drill because there will not be funding to pay people.  Not sure how this is going to effect the Active Duty, but it looks like it will effect the Reserves.

Might be a good thing-forced to save money FINALLY. If I was still on active-duty, I'd stop work. Simple as that. I would tell them breach of contract-piss off. Legally, I am under no obligation if they breach the contract. My oath still stands, but I would no longer have to listen to them if I am not paid. Truthfully, they played this game with us when I was in-gubermint shut-down, etc. It is all politico-crap. We scrapped all unnecessary flights, only had a few ready aircraft, etc. And guess, what? The date came and went without a notice. Soon, we were back to flying and wasting money like nobody's bizz

Dunno, just saying...Cheers