Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Eric Clapton - Wonderful Tonight (live)

umbertino

I think she is also the same voice that did that song on dark side of the moon Ican't remember the name of the song off the top of my head but she appears on a few Clapton songs as well. I believe they tour together

I used to know the female singer name on the DSOTM.  Let me think about it for a minute.

If  we talk about the voice solo on " The Great Gig In The Sky" ... Her name is Clare Torry ( I had to google it).

But I don't think it's the same person as Dark Side was recorded back in 1973.

I don't remember the year of that Clapton video  but the Lady looks young.

Edited by umbertino

I don't know if she's the one ( He probably had many back up singers  in his career years )

I found this answer to the question :

in eric claptons "promises" who's the backup singer (female)

Marcy Levy (also known as Marcella Detroit or Marcella Levy)
She was later part of the Shakespears Sister.

1) "Following the platinum success of SLOWHAND, BACKLESS continued Eric Clapton's transformation into a singer/songwriter with better-than-average chops after a lifetime of guitar godhood. Eschewing the star-studded cameos of NO REASON TO CRY, Clapton instead relied on his core group of the '70s: George Terry, Carl Radle, Jamie Oldaker, **** Simms and Marcy Levy. Levy in particular, proved her worth by co-writing the slide-drenched "Roll It" with Slowhand. Her passionate testifying on this as well as her sparkling harmonies on the Don Williams-influenced "Promises" made up for fellow back-up singer Yvonne Elliman's departure following SLOWHAND's release."
Source and further information:
http://avaxhome.ws/music/audiophile/eric_clapton_backless_mfsl_udcd.html

2) "Detroit began playing with the Bob Seger band in the early 1970s, then toured and recorded with Leon Russell and the Gap Band in early 1974, before joining Eric Clapton’s band in September 1974. While working with Clapton she wrote several songs with him, including "Lay Down Sally". After leaving Clapton's band, she did session work for a number of artists, including Aretha Franklin, Al Jarreau, Alice Cooper, Stanley Clarke and Bette Midler. In 1980, she duetted with Robin Gibb on the song "Help Me!", featured on the soundtrack of the film Times Square. The single peaked at #50 in the USA. In 1981, she provided the singing voice for the character Frankie in Ralph Bakshi's animated movie American Pop. She recorded her first solo album, Marcella, under her birth name, in 1982, and wrote material for Chaka Khan and Belinda Carlisle, and Al Jarreau and Phillip Bailey, amongst others. In 1985 she worked for Clapton again, and performed with him at Live Aid.

Thanks.   Her voice was very distinctive and she sang back up on a lot of his songs.  I've only come up with Marcy Levy but I don't think she's it.  

Wow.... You beat me to it.....Ok.. If you don't think she's the one... I'll try and check again.

Edited by umbertino

Maybe I found  the name.

I've always enjoyed Eric's two female backup singers Katie Kisson and Tessa Niles and Kisson is really great with her solo at the end of "Wonderful Tonight."

End Quote

umbert...i am really starting to believe that we have hug out in a different time and place....this song is most certainly one that has stopped me in my tracks....soooo just where were you in the 80's? and was I there as well?????

LOL.......Yes my Friend.......I was in many places in the 80's ( until I got stuck in a Bank job from '82 on  but was able to travel each year at least).. Between 1980 and 1981 I was in Bloomington, Indiana working as a Volunteer in a day-care center and also a Senior citizens Center... Very good experience it was.

Edited by umbertino

hummmm

I was in Lawrenceville ILL  until 1979....then New Jersey for the rest of the 80s.....close though huh?

Yes! I was in the US also in the Summer of 1977 (my very first time in the US..)  travelling like mad by Greyhound ( made 20,000 miles with this thing called "Ameripass" unlimited mileage for  3 months in the US and Canada....) from Aug. 16 ( Presley had died the day before) until Nov. 12. Went through something like 35 States , I believe. Prpbably best ttrip of my life... Sense of Freedom was huge. Could stop and leave at leisure.... Loved it.

I had an awesome time.

Then  through the years I went back ( to the US)  a lot  of times until 1998 ( last trip).

Edited by umbertino