Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Minimum Wage

cooked

With all the talk of raising our minimum wage, I cannot imagine the long range effects it would have. You would double the labor rate of many products made here. You would drive off sooo many manufacturing jobs here that unemployment would be off the charts. If you think China takes a lot of our jobs now, just wait and see what happens with a $15 an hour minimum wage. I have no disrespect for low wage workers, but you earn what you work for(difficult and extraordinary situations excluded).

It also demeans what other professionals have worked hard to achieve. I am a nurse and worked hard to earn a degree and make a good life for myself. what does it say when one can push a broom or flip burgers and make almost half of what I worked years to achieve? This is such a bad idea for our economy. Small businesses cannot afford to pay these wages. Your morning joe at Starbucks just doubled in price. Say good bye to the dollar menu at Burger King or Mickey D's. Say hello to out of control unemployment. And if they do pass it and realize they screwed up, there is no way to turn back the clock. You cannot repeal the wage law and say to millions of people, sorry we are cutting your pay in half. Think about it, call your senators and such. Do not let this happen. The country cannot afford $15 an hour min wage laws.

Again, no disrespect to the lower wage earners, I just don't see any good from it. What does it tell others? You don't need a good education or training to earn $15 an hour, you just need crazy laws. Please do not take this the wrong way, I am not trying to sound snobbish or prudish or anything. I just do not see this as a good idea.

• Upvote 13
  • Downvote 1

Cooked, you are absolutlely right in your thinking. The people who think this is a good idea are so dumb. They could raise the minimum wage to $100.00 an hour and all it will do is raise prices of EVERYTHING for everybody. Just like raising taxes on corporations, the corporations just raise prices on the consumer to cover the taxes. Only dumb, stupid, ignorant, brainwashed idiots that don't understand economics would be for this kind of stupidity. It truly is sad just how downright stupid some people can be, to not understand this simple concept.

Everything is relative. If a burger cost $4.00, it's because of the cost of making that burger. If it cost $12 to make that same burger that is what the consumer will pay. If a minimum wage earner is barely getting by paying $4.00 for a burger, they will still be barely getting by, paying $12.00 for that same burger. Among other things.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

This is just politicians making noise trying to win votes from the lower earning people. They are trying to make look like they are really trying to help them. WRONG. I don't think they care one bit, just trying to get votes from the weaker earners.

• Upvote 5

This is just politicians making noise trying to win votes from the lower earning people. They are trying to make look like they are really trying to help them. WRONG. I don't think they care one bit, just trying to get votes from the weaker earners.

Agreed Cooked  ;) All for votes and then they'll dump the people.  :unsure:

We the consumers will suffer, just cause the minimum wage goes up, doesn't mean everything else is not going to go up. 

Simple common sense.   It doesn't take a mad scientist to figure this one out.  :mellow:

• Upvote 2

Min wage was not created to be a way to support one's self or family. The USA has created a whole new "class" that fits between the lower income & middle class's. Another words the taxpayers support system continues to grow.

Why is that Caz?

I dunno... but it just seems to me that a single working mom... working 40 hours a week... should be able to feed her kids without foodstamps.

Maybe it is just me... but it seems like a lot of GREED.

IMHO  :peace:

• Upvote 2

Why is that Caz?

I dunno... but it just seems to me that a single working mom... working 40 hours a week... should be able to feed her kids without foodstamps.

Maybe it is just me... but it seems like a lot of GREED.

IMHO  :peace:

Maggie,

I would think that anyone not just the example you provided would want more than just min wage. But I guess we can agree to disagree. Do you also disagree with my view on the creation of a new class as well? I should have worded it differently "just getting by" class. In my view we have to many that accept "just getting by" as acceptable and that's sad imo - peace

I see what everyone is saying and I must say that I agree.

Greed is the problem in America.

If companies were not in such a rush to have record profits every quarter, every year then maybe the American people would see some relief.

"YES" I am aware that the sole propose of business is to make money.

BUT

At some point and time with the economy getting worse and worse, is there no point in hoping that someone in the America Busness will say, "Lets consider our consumers?".

• Upvote 3

I see what everyone is saying and I must say that I agree.

Greed is the problem in America.

If companies were not in such a rush to have record profits every quarter, every year then maybe the American people would see some relief.

"YES" I am aware that the sole propose of business is to make money.

BUT

At some point and time with the economy getting worse and worse, is there no point in hoping that someone in the America Busness will say, "Lets consider our consumers?".

I don't think will ever see a greedy Business say: "Lets consider our consumers."  Sad huh gymrat. 

• Upvote 2

Why is it that its "greedy business" is the problem. Greedy consumers & self entitlement is a major problem imo. I can't tell you as a business owner myself how many times will tell me I should "give" them something. Good/reliable  services & product are no longer good enough. Just another view - peace 

Edited by caz1104
  • Upvote 2

Its simple Supply and Demand   Business gets the price the market demands. If people do not like the prices stop paying for the service.

I agree with the original post. Min wage increases just lead to everything else going up and accomplishes nothing.

Maybe Maggie they should think about not having the kids in the first place if they can not feed them. I am TIRED of paying for everyone elses kids. I talk to people everyday that have kids and only 1 out of 20 families do not have some kind of assistance going on. What happened to the days when parents took care of their own kids?

DONT BREED THEM IF YOU CANT FEED THEM!!!

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

***///

and thanks to hobummer-lack-o-care, there will be no 40-hour work weeks left.... 

except, of course,  for big business who kiss hobummer butt,

and dump millions into the progressive candidates' coffers, natch....

it is the mission of the progressives to enslave everyone on fed assistance programs,

which is why they have made NOT WORKING a more lucrative "job" for their minions.

wake up.

• Upvote 5

Its simple Supply and Demand   Business gets the price the market demands. If people do not like the prices stop paying for the service.

I agree with the original post. Min wage increases just lead to everything else going up and accomplishes nothing.

Maybe Maggie they should think about not having the kids in the first place if they can not feed them. I am TIRED of paying for everyone elses kids. I talk to people everyday that have kids and only 1 out of 20 families do not have some kind of assistance going on. What happened to the days when parents took care of their own kids?

DONT BREED THEM IF YOU CANT FEED THEM!!!

I agree with your post in principal, but I also accept that at times(key word) there are exceptions. But our gov & society as a whole have made "mediocre"  more of the norm and accepted-peace 

***///

and thanks to hobummer-lack-o-care, there will be no 40-hour work weeks left.... 

except, of course,  for big business who kiss hobummer butt,

and dump millions into the progressive candidates' coffers, natch....

it is the mission of the progressives to enslave everyone on fed assistance programs,

which is why they have made NOT WORKING a more lucrative "job" for their minions.

wake up.

:bravo:

• Upvote 1

***///

:tiphat: and we was on.....

...and why, pray tell, SHOULD the minimum wage be raised, when all these lefties have been touting THESE as the jobs their illegal immigrant pals will be filling "for us"....?

Pick a lie and stick to it, commies, or suffer the wrath of Patriots who will "out" you and your evil unions and expose you all for the liars you are.....

Edited by SgtFuryUSCZ
  • Upvote 1

***///

:tiphat: and we was on.....

...and why, pray tell, SHOULD the minimum wage be raised, when all these lefties have been touting THESE as the jobs their illegal immigrant pals will be filling "for us"....?

Pick a lie and stick to it, commies, or suffer the wrath of Patriots who will "out" you and your evil unions and expose you all for the liars you are.....

Point well noted. We will just be paying more for our big mac just to have that support the illegals here. And those illegals won't be happy with that. They will still want free health care and food stamps to feed their illegal kids and their illegal relatives and so forth. We are just going to give more money to so many people who feel entitled and want to milk the system for all they can bleed from us.

I agree there are some extenuating circumstances but this is more of a blanket opinion aimed at those who do bleed us dry. To those who have been victims of downsizing, crime, abuse and the like, I do sympathize.

Also, we should not blame "greedy business". If our employers were not "greedy", they would not be profitable and could not afford to pay US. It's capitalism.

• Upvote 2

***///

They don't have a "fix" for it... only a FORWARD moving AGENDA in order to suppress and enslave.

They MUST control the people -- and fixating them on krap like this is only one of the deceptive tools they

employ with regularity. 

And, as always, the ignorant masses pick up the banners handed them by the progressives and continue to

feast on the slop they serve them up......

I know that things can happen and people can go thru some hard times, I am not talking about that. I am talking about the people who have made a career out of scamming the system. I say give them 6 months of help then its off to the Army Barricks (for shelter) and Rice and Beans (for food). Until we make it less attractive to be on assistance than working and trying to better yourself a lot of people will look for the easy way out.

• Upvote 6

I know that things can happen and people can go thru some hard times, I am not talking about that. I am talking about the people who have made a career out of scamming the system. I say give them 6 months of help then its off to the Army Barricks (for shelter) and Rice and Beans (for food). Until we make it less attractive to be on assistance than working and trying to better yourself a lot of people will look for the easy way out.

I kind of like how some countries make all people enter the army or some form of service when they reach a certain age and serve 2 years for their country. I know, some people will automatically protest, but the service can teach respect and instill a sense of pride in people and make them want to be more than just a drain on our system.

Sadly "just getting by" is a new real deal. They are doing the best they can given the current situation.

What you say may have been true a few years ago... not so much now.

Many employers are taking advantage of the situation.

Again JMHO :peace:

Maggie,

Obviously you're anti business and side with the employee. As a business owner I realize the importance of three factors 1)customer  2)employee 3)my business. What many employee's fail to realize is that they are a piece ............not the whole pie. As a owner I have a business model that I adhere too and adjust accordingly. At the end of the day I have a certain percentage that I will accept based on many factors. Now if one day I decide to allow my employee's to have a stake in ownership that would include profits AND liabilities, I wonder if their views would be the same? 

P.S. I admit I'm a greedy person (I invested in dinar....duh) and don't think in general that's a bad thing. Of course in general anything in excess can be a problem. Greed in the right form is a necessary key to success-imo

Edited by caz1104
  • Upvote 3

In 34 states it is more profitable to sit at home and collect welfare then to work a minimum wage job.

In 11 states welfare recipients now out number the people working.

If minimum wage went up to make it more desirable to work then to stay at home

Nothing would change

In all these states the same people would stay right where they are at because they do not want to work.

The only thing that would happen is the cost of doing business would go up

and the Federal Government would raise taxes so it would get the money

The cost of goods would go up and the wage earner would end up with less then they had before the raise.

Look at history people it is right there in front of you LOOK AT IT

Quit thinking with your liberal and use your brain

Right now the Government is on the wage kick to increase revenue because this time next year we will mostly have only part time jobs.

Their next target will be American companies that they have driven overseas                                        

No Surrender No Retreat and No Compromise 

• Upvote 1

Maggie,

Obviously you're anti business and side with the employee. As a business owner I realize the importance of three factors 1)customer  2)employee 3)my business. What many employee's fail to realize is that they are a piece ............not the whole pie. As a owner I have a business model that I adhere too and adjust accordingly. At the end of the day I have a certain percentage that I will accept based on many factors. Now if one day I decide to allow my employee's to have a stake in ownership that would include profits AND liabilities, I wonder if their views would be the same? 

P.S. I admit I'm a greedy person (I invested in dinar....duh) and don't think in general that's a bad thing. Of course in general anything in excess can be a problem. Greed in the right form is a necessary key to success-imo

Caz :)

Funny you should say that I am anti-business and side with the employee...

Of course you are in business to make $$$... I also side with the employee... because guess why?

Your Co. is only because of your quality of workmanship... Right? 

What you may not have recognized about me is that I have been a business owner most of my working life. NOT A Secretary :)

I know my typing and spelling are not so great... didn't really matter... I had spell-check for any work I did... not so much here... Damn! :)

Ok... here is where our ideas depart...

When I met my husband... he was driving a pickup five different colors... one blue bumper, one white...lalala... he was a framer.

He told me he was tired of building "dingers" for the guys making all the money.

We came up with a plan and incorporated... my job was to market... we also decided if we took care of our people...

they would take care of us... they were happy and we had the best with very little turnover.

We are talking about a higher than adverage wage and insurance... in the construction industry.

Therefore we built a crew that was loyal and happy to do their best work. :) We built a rep that no other competitor could meet.

He was good and his buddies were good... we made it happen... we moved into commercial... right time... right place.

Worked nationally and internationally... even built in Japan... they still work pretty regular in their favorite spot... Honolullu.

Grew from 8 to 80 in one year... no kidding. We did very well... and I will not ever depart from that business model.

PS. Our compeditors were hiring illegalls... underbidding us... and we still did much better.

Actually I built a second business on that model after our divorce. :)

Edited by Maggie123
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Caz :)

Funny you should say that I am anti-business and side with the employee...

Of course you are in business to make $$$... I also side with the employee... because guess why?

Your Co. is only because of your quality of workmanship... Right? 

What you may not have recognized about me is that I have been a business owner most of my working life. NOT A Secretary :)

I know my typing and spelling are not so great... didn't really matter... I had spell-check for any work I did... not so much here... Damn! :)

Ok... here is where our ideas depart...

When I met my husband... he was driving a pickup five different colors... one blue bumper, one white...lalala... he was a framer.

He told me he was tired of building "dingers" for the guys making all the money.

We came up with a plan and incorporated... my job was to market... we also decided if we took care of our people...

they would take care of us... they were happy and we had the best with very little turnover.

We are talking about a higher than adverage wage and insurance... in the construction industry.

Therefore we built a crew that was loyal and happy to do their best work. :) We built a rep that no other competitor could meet.

He was good and his buddies were good... we made it happen... we moved into commercial... right time... right place.

Worked nationally and internationally... even built in Japan... they still work pretty regular in their favorite spot... Honolullu.

Grew from 8 to 80 in one year... no kidding. We did very well... and I will not ever depart from that business model.

PS. Our compeditors were hiring illegalls... underbidding us... and we still did much better.

Actually I built a second business on that model after our divorce. :)

Bravo to you. Sounds like a business model many should use. You were also lucky to bring on the right people. With the right system and the right people, a team can go a long way. If the dinar ever pops we all may want to have you coach us in our future endeavors. I have no problem paying someone a fair wage, I just cannot justify paying $15 an hour to flip a burger where there is absolutely no skill needed. Paying a well skilled builder to construct a quality house is good business. Keep up your good work.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

In 34 states it is more profitable to sit at home and collect welfare then to work a minimum wage job.

In 11 states welfare recipients now out number the people working.

If minimum wage went up to make it more desirable to work then to stay at home

Nothing would change

In all these states the same people would stay right where they are at because they do not want to work.

The only thing that would happen is the cost of doing business would go up

and the Federal Government would raise taxes so it would get the money

The cost of goods would go up and the wage earner would end up with less then they had before the raise.

Look at history people it is right there in front of you LOOK AT IT

Quit thinking with your liberal and use your brain

Right now the Government is on the wage kick to increase revenue because this time next year we will mostly have only part time jobs.

Their next target will be American companies that they have driven overseas                                        

No Surrender No Retreat and No Compromise 

***///

:bump:  this truth all day long !