Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Maliki and Barzani agree to activate the joint committees between Baghdad and Erbil

yota691

Maliki and Barzani agree to activate the joint committees between Baghdad and Erbil

07/07/2013 - 15:29            Policy     36 Show       Author:    Hussein gesture  

NB-79042-635087995650803864.jpg
SearchBigger.png

ArrowSelected.png Alsumaria News / Baghdad 
agreed to Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki, Sunday, with the head of the Kurdistan region, Massoud Barzani, to activate the joint committees between Baghdad and Erbil to end disputes, while stressing Barzani the importance of compaction grade internal to face any risk of an external potential. 
Maliki said in a joint press conference with Barzani in Baghdad, attended by "Alsumaria News", "The visit of Barzani come a continuation of our visit to Kurdistan," noting that "it was agreed to activate the joint committees to address all outstanding issues between the federal government and the Kurdistan Regional Government on the back and the base of the higher interest and the Constitution." 
he added Maliki said that "the circumstances that surround us and the region and the big challenges require us to develop immunity to the impact of the challenges that Tusbandnna and monitoring of the National Front and solve problems realistically and a common desire to fortify the country's vulnerability as experienced by the region." 
He Maliki that "among the issues of Article 140 and the mechanics applied and provincial boundaries and the law exists in the House of Representatives and a census in order to resolve this issue and end so as not to remain a problem and the issue of oil and the Peshmerga and the security forces and all the issues that a difference in views, including pass laws broken. " 
For his part, Barzani said that "our visit to Baghdad aimed at sending a message to the outside and the inside that we are brothers and are eager to communication, cooperation and solidarity, especially since we live in an area filled with problems and crises, "adding that" strengthen the internal front can prevent the risks that will Tusbandnna. " 
He Barzani that "it was agreed to take steps process through the activation of the committees agreed on the composition and reach the results that serve Iraq and Iraqis, "he said, adding that" the results of the work of the committees applied in the field are not the issues of formality. " 
arrived in Kurdistan Region President Massoud Barzani, earlier on Sunday (July 7, 2013) , to Baghdad at the head of a high level delegation, while the contract upon arrival in a meeting with Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki, where the two sides discussed the outstanding issues with the center and the region. 
came to visit after visit by Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki, the month of June to visit is First two years ago, where he met with the President of the region, Massoud Barzani, and held talks on the outstanding differences between the two sides, as the Federal Cabinet held a regular meeting and issued several resolutions.

Edited by yota691
  • Upvote 6

saradise I think they are much closer than we know for and they are letting on.  Barzani meeting in Baghdad with Maliki, may have plans for an announcement and photo op for all we know.

I know, but my patience is running a little thin, lol. 

I remember reading an article at the beginning of the year (approximate timelines escape me in Dinarland) stating that Barzani emphatically said he would not be returning to Baghdad until Erbil would agreed upon, signed and implemented. Here we are..he's in Baghdad.

Edited by TBomb
  • Upvote 2

Enough With This Endless Foreplay And Just Do The Deed ! :o

:D :D :D

Thx Fo' Mo' Great News Yota ! ;)

B) B)

Man we have the best news cast ever. Ron Burgundy and Veronica Corningstone got nothin on us.

"This is DVN Network with your reporters Yota and DinarThug." 

• Upvote 1

Can anyone decipher how wide ranging this agreement is or what is comprised of? I can recall articles in the past that have stated Erbil was done...but then retracted. Wait and see I guess.

Looks like they are activating committees to address issues...this is nothing new.

"it was agreed to activate the joint committees to address all outstanding issues between the federal government and the Kurdistan Regional Government on the back and the base of the higher interest and the Constitution.y

Can anyone decipher how wide ranging this agreement is or what is comprised of? I can recall articles in the past that have stated Erbil was done...but then retracted. Wait and see I guess.

I am not sure I understand the question psych?  Wide ranging meaning?  

Iraqi Kurdistan chief on rare visit to Baghdad

Sunday, 7 July 2013
Kurdish president Massud Barzani met with Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki on an array of disputes. (File photo: AFP)

AFP, Baghdad
The president of Iraq’s autonomous Kurdish region, Massud Barzani, visited Baghdad on Sunday for the first time in years for landmark talks with Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki on an array of disputes.

Barzani met Maliki, after which the two held a joint news conference in the capital’s heavily-fortified Green Zone -- a major change from last year, when the Kurdish leader was advocating the premier’s removal from office.

The improvement in relations between the Kurds and the federal government is a rare bright spot for Iraq, which has been hit by a wave of violence that has killed more than 2,400 people this year, and long-running protests by Sunni Arabs who accuse the Shiite-led government of marginalizing their community.

“We discussed disputes and we agreed to work on passing frozen laws in the parliament, especially the oil and gas law,” Maliki said, referring to long-stalled legislation governing the exploitation of Iraq’s rich energy resources.

Barzani said his message was to send a message saying “we are brothers and we are keen to communicate and collaborate.”

“We agreed to cooperate and work together and to face everything that threatens Iraq and the [Kurdish] region, and we consider this a national duty,” he added.

Barzani admitted that there are “problems and different opinions between the [Kurdish] region and the federal government” in Baghdad.

But “today there is real political willingness to solve the problems,” he said.

Kurdish leaders want to incorporate a swathe of land stretching from Iraq’s eastern border with Iran to its western frontier with Syria into their autonomous region over the objections of Maliki’s government.

The federal and regional governments also disagree over the apportioning of oil revenues. Baghdad has also been displeased with the Kurdish region for signing contracts with foreign energy firms without its approval.

Diplomats and officials say the dispute over territory is one of the main long-term threats to Iraq’s stability.

The at-times lighthearted atmosphere of the news conference contrasted sharply with tensions that marked the relationship so far between Barzani and Maliki.

Last year, Barzani was a leading critic of the premier, advocated his removal from office and said that Maliki could not be trusted with F-16 warplanes that are on order from the United States.

Later in 2012, the establishment of the Tigris Operations Command, a federal military command covering disputed territory in the north, drew an angry response from Kurdish leaders.

And a deadly firefight during an attempt by Iraqi forces to arrest a Kurdish man in a disputed town pushed tensions higher, with both sides deploying military reinforcements.

But more recently, the two sides have moved to patch up their differences.

Kurdish ministers and MPs ended a boycott of the cabinet and the parliament in May, which was begun in March over objections that the new federal budget did not allocate enough money to pay foreign oil companies working in the region.

And in June, Maliki chaired a landmark cabinet session in Arbil, the capital of the autonomous Kurdistan region, and the two sides agreed to form joint committees to deal with disputes.

Kurdistan’s deputy prime minister Emad Ahmed said in a statement on the region’s official website that Barzani’s visit was a follow-up to Maliki’s trip to Arbil.

Barzani was to be accompanied by Ahmed, as well as the ministers in charge of natural resources and the Kurdish peshmerga security forces, the statement said.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2013/07/07/Iraqi-Kurdistan-chief-on-rare-visit-to-Baghdad-.html

• Upvote 1

This is refreshing Tbomb.  What a turn around we are seeing here today.  I really wonder if with Ramadan approaching they still be working,  I think they will.  They could call parliament in if they wanted to.  What with Citibank, Standard Chapter and JP Morgan ready to rock and roll, these array of disagreements need to be dealt with.  Both parties have a great interest to get things moving.  I can't help the movement from both of them to work things out has settled some of the angst in Iraq.  Really I am surprised, yet I see chapter 7 release has definitely opened doors and windows with these two once enemies and now leaders showing the people there are other positive ways to get things done.  I am getting more impressed daily with both of them.