Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Amina Said: government approval of Article (140), which has long promised

yota691

TLHUBER, and lone star, the simple answer is yes. When they mention the Erbil agreement, article 140, and the (HCL) Hydro Carbon Law are all referencing the same thing to the best of my knowledge. It contains how and when contracts with oil companies can be written,how different regions get paid, what goes the the government and what goes to the people.

WM13

Erbil as I understand it is how the oil and gas money is distributed.  The HCL is handling of oil and gas contracts.

Thanks Zig. I knew they were different, just could not get the wheels to turn.

Erbil, 140 and HCL are all different.  

The Erbil Agreement has to do primarily with powersharing of the governmental bodies.  Here is a good article on it.

The 140 has to deal with re-establishing the proper borders between Iraq and Kurdistan.  Sadaam stripped the Kurds of their land and property through Arabization (ethnic cleansing) forcing many to flee the country.  They are returning now and want an amicable reclaiming of their land.  This also has a lot to do with resources since thereis oil at stake here for every meter of land given to the Kurds.  Here is more information on article 140.

Constitution Article-140 lays down a clear road map to define the final boundaries of the territory to be administered by the KRG. The excessive delay in implementing this article is the primary cause of tension and administrative problems in the so-called disputed areas. These are areas that suffered severely from ethnic cleansing and community destruction under the former regime. 

Failure to implement Article-140 is also in violation of the policy the Iraqi government announced in June 2006. The Iraqi Prime Minister then stated that “the government will be committed to implement Article-140 of the Constitution which is based on Article-58 of the ‘Law of Administration for the State of Iraq’, also known as the Transitional Administrative Law (TAL).

Then the HCL deals primarily with the law on the oil resources.  Who gets what share and how the oil resources are to be managed.  

Edited by TrinityeXchange
  • Upvote 2

Erbil, 140 and HCL are all different.  

The Erbil Agreement has to do primarily with powersharing of the governmental bodies.  Here is a good article on it.

The 140 has to deal with re-establishing the proper borders between Iraq and Kurdistan.  Sadaam stripped the Kurds of their land and property through Arabization (ethnic cleansing) forcing many to flee the country.  They are returning now and want an amicable reclaiming of their land.  This also has a lot to do with resources since thereis oil at stake here for every meter of land given to the Kurds.  Here is more information on article 140.

Constitution Article-140 lays down a clear road map to define the final boundaries of the territory to be administered by the KRG. The excessive delay in implementing this article is the primary cause of tension and administrative problems in the so-called disputed areas. These are areas that suffered severely from ethnic cleansing and community destruction under the former regime. 

Failure to implement Article-140 is also in violation of the policy the Iraqi government announced in June 2006. The Iraqi Prime Minister then stated that “the government will be committed to implement Article-140 of the Constitution which is based on Article-58 of the ‘Law of Administration for the State of Iraq’, also known as the Transitional Administrative Law (TAL).

Then the HCL deals primarily with the law on the oil resources.  Who gets what share and how the oil resources are to be managed.  

Thanks Trinity.  It looks like I am off track here.  I got Erbil mixed up with Article 140

SULAIMANI, Kurdistan Region – An important government program, to return Iraqi Kurds to areas from where they were displaced under Saddam Hussein’s “Arabization” program, is underfunded, unfair and not working, Kurdish critics charge.

In the city of Kirkuk, one of the places where Saddam expelled large numbers of Kurds and replaced them with Arab families in order to tilt the balance of power against the large ethnic Kurdish population, thousands of Kurdish families are still waiting for the promised cash and help with resettlement by the Iraqi government.

Large swaths of Iraq’s northern regions remain designated as “disputed territories,” claimed both by the central Arab government in Baghdad, and the autonomous Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG). 

According to Article 140 of the 2005 constitution that was drawn up two years after Saddam was ousted, Arab or Kurdish ownership of the areas will be determined by a referendum. 

But before the plebiscite, the constitution says that displaced Kurds will be given compensation and a chance to resettle in their old homes, and Arabs who were brought in by Saddam will likewise be compensated to return to their old homes.

Critics say that the resettlement and compensation programs have not gone as planned, and have taken too long in places like Kirkuk, which is highly coveted by both the Arabs and Kurds for its  vast energy reserves.

Sidiq Kaka Rash, director of the office responsible for implementing Article 140 in Kirkuk, says that in the current year’s fiscal budget 172 billion Iraqi dinars have been allocated for resettlement issues. “This allocated sum can be used to compensate 17,000 families,” he said.

Under the article, 37,000 Kurdish families have been compensated with 10 million Iraqi dinars and 12.3 thousand Arab families have been compensated with 20 million dinars. However, “there are still 61,000 Kurdish families and 7,000 Arab families, waiting to be compensated” says Rash.

Over the past decade, the article has caused disputes between the KRG and the Iraqi Government. 

“This compensation process is not working. As far as I know, only 30 percent of the Arab families have returned to their places of origin,” says Rebwar Saidgul, an official from the Kurdistan Islamic Union (KIU) and the deputy head of the Kirkuk city council.

He alleged that Arab families receive twice as much as Kurds for resettlement, in addition to a home.  “Why did the Kurds accept this?” he asks. 

“Many Arab families have cheated the system. They receive the compensation, sell the house they have occupied, and go buy another house in the city’s outskirt,” Saidgul claims.

“The article’s budget, which is only 300 billion dinars, has always faced some difficulties” says Bayazid Hassan, a legislator from the opposition Change Movement (Gorran) in the Iraqi parliament.

Ali Balo, former head of the Oil and Gas Committee in the Iraqi parliament, believes that the Kurdish MPs must pressure their colleagues in parliament to allocate a bigger budget for compensation and resettlement. 

“All the money needed for the implementation of the article can be raised from just two days of oil sales,” saysLatif Shaikh Mustafa, an Iraqi MP from Gorran.

But for thousands of residents waiting to return to volatile and violent Kirkuk, compensation is not the only concern.

“It was our dream to return to our city, but not a city where our lives would be in risk,” says Hussein Ali, a displaced resident of Kirkuk.  “After the collapse of Saddam’s regime we wanted to go back to Kirkuk, but ever since the collapse there has been no stability in the city. We do not want to risk our lives,” he says.

The other day this little blip hit the screen and I thought it was about Article 140.  It kind of tells us what is going on with it.

Iraqi ports dues distributed to people with martyrs in the seventh meal

Tuesday, 02 July / July 2013 17:23 | | |

{Basra: Euphrates News}

Distributed General Company for Ports of Iraq's financial dues to the families of the martyrs of affiliates within the Seventh meal.

The director of media and public relations Net Anmar Abdel Moneim told {Euphrates News} that "the General Company for Ports of Iraq was one of the first initiators of the completion of the martyrs and the trendsetter transactions among government departments in the distribution of entitlements."

"The number of meal seventh transactions reached twelve transaction amount totaled one billion and two hundred million dinars."

Net added that "there are ten transactions for the families of the martyrs of the associate who assassinated the previous regime now in exchange The remaining transactions which are in progress amounts to thirty-two treatment". Ended 42

Read more: http://dinarvets.com/forums/index.php?/topic/153191-iraqi-ports-dues-distributed-to-people-with-martyrs-in-the-seventh-meal/#ixzz2YC9inFVI

Thanks Trinity.  It looks like I am off track here.  I got Erbil mixed up with Article 140

Thank you as well Zigmeister.  This is certainly what we are here for to help each other sort all of this stuff out; together. That's why I love my DV family.  And thanks for posting those articles.  It adds a lot of clarity.  

You know Sadaam certainly made a mess of things.  Trying to clean it all up is quite a nightmare.  Having to provide reparations to the Kurds for the atrocities committed against them as well as the Kuwaitis has hit Iraqi budgets hard.  Sprinkle a little corruption on top of this cupcake and there remains quite a problem left to resolve.   :wacko:

Thank you as well Zigmeister.  This is certainly what we are here for to help each other sort all of this stuff out; together. That's why I love my DV family.  And thanks for posting those articles.  It adds a lot of clarity.  

You know Sadaam certainly made a mess of things.  Trying to clean it all up is quite a nightmare.  Having to provide reparations to the Kurds for the atrocities committed against them as well as the Kuwaitis has hit Iraqi budgets hard.  Sprinkle a little corruption on top of this cupcake and there remains quite a problem left to resolve.   :wacko:

It does get confusing.  But what do you think about the little blip?  I do think this sounds like 140, and if so they are paying them, so if I am right and they are 140 is another checkmark off their bucket list.  And this is very good news if I am right.

It does get confusing.  But what do you think about the little blip?  I do think this sounds like 140, and if so they are paying them, so if I am right and they are 140 is another checkmark off their bucket list.  And this is very good news if I am right.

Thanks Trinity and Zig for all the information on Article 140. So this very significant issue seems to be moving toward resolution along with the HCL. Very good in my book.

lone star

I believe the Kurds will get 140 and that it is heavily tied in with HCL.  I think the delay on 140 has significantly been due to the demarcation points between Kurdistan and Iraq which equates to a LOT of oil.  Put the demarcation point a little to the left and Baghdad loses money.  A little to the right and Kurds lose money.  With Barzani running back and forth to Baghdad (something he said he would not do when Talibani was around) could only mean one thing in my book; Maliki has capitulated.  I hope to see both the 140 and the HCL   :soon:

• Upvote 2