Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

NY Gun Confiscation Underway – Citizens Told to Turn in Pistol Owner ID & Firearms

Peace

NY Gun Confiscation Underway – Citizens Told to Turn in Pistol Owner ID & Firearms

Monday, April 8, 2013 13:00

(Before It's News)

Gun Confiscation

AmmoLand Gun News

Manasquan, NJ --(Ammoland.com)- Remember all those who denied that firearms confiscation as a result of New York’s new gun laws was to “insane” to even consider?

That it was strictly in the realm of paranoid conspiracy theorists and the “it cant happen here crowd”?

Those were and remain some of the standard replies to anyone who even thought about the possibility, let alone gave voice to it, despite the fact that Gov Cuomo and numerous other officials made public comments about such a plan, as I discussed in my article “Feinstein & Cuomo Admit Planning Australian Style Government Gun Buy Back” .

Elected Officials, the media, various Gun Control Groups and their zealous forced disarmament supporters, even some firearms owners themselves all insisted it was to crazy to even consider.

There’s just one huge problem it is happening now in New York State!

It seems those that tried desperately to warn of such an insidious plot had hit the bullseye with their warnings after all. News came from multiple NY State based firearms enthusiast websites late Friday that confiscations of Pistol Owner ID Cards, as well as firearms and accessories has commenced in NY under the provisions of the horribly flawed, draconian and blatantly unconstitutional NY SAFE Act.

Those folks having their weapons and FID cards confiscated  have been discovered to have been prescribed multiple different types of psychotropic drugs, such as those for Depression or Anxiety. These are known as SSRI ( Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors) class drugs and have the potential to cause serious and adverse side effects, something I wrote about extensively last week in an article that went viral in days and caused multiple Anti Gun and Progressive News Groups to initiate a concentrated denial of service hacker attack against Ammoland Shooting Sports News (see Daily KOS ” Keeping Track Of The RKBA Crowd” http://tiny.cc/ug67uw),  in an effort to keep the information from the public.

From NY http://tiny.cc/nyfirearms

“John Doe, an upstanding professional with no outstanding criminal convictions and no history of violent action received a letter from the Pistol Permit Department informing him that his license was immediately revoked upon information that he was seeing a therapist for anxiety and had been prescribed an anxiety drug. He was never suicidal, never violent, and has no criminal history. The New York State Department of Health is apparently conducting a search of medical records to determine who is being treated for anxiety drugs and using this as a basis for handgun license revocation.

Those are the facts. Nothing more, nothing less.”

Now, before anyone trots out the old saw about how this is nothing more then a paranoid, unsubstantiated rumor on a “gun nuts” internet forum. I spoke to the Attorney of Record in this matter on the phone this morning and he confirmed that the above snippet is accurate and these cases are happening!

James Tresmond Esq confirmed in our conversation that the above mentioned case is occurring in Erie County NY, it is his client that has been effected, and as yet unknown sources have seen fit to take it upon themselves to share confidential medical records with NY State Officials without authorization, a massive HIPPA violation.

It seems these supposedly confidential records are then compared against a list of known NY pistol license holders and letters are sent out demanding their Pistol Owner ID Cards be surrendered, as well as any firearms and accessories.

This is an unprecedented violation of a Citizens 2nd, 4th, and 5th Amendment RIGHTS, brought to fruition by power and control hungry tyrants holding elected office who swore an Oath to uphold and defend the very rights they are now actively stripping from their constituents.

Moreover, the confiscation efforts underway in NY State have had another, albeit unintended effect. By undertaking this course of action, those in power have inadvertently pulled back the curtain on something they have suppressed from the Citizens for far to long, leaving them with precious little wiggle room to explain away their actions.

Either they are acknowledging that there is in fact some sort of little reported link between the prescribing of psychotropic drugs and violent behavior, thus they are somehow, at least in their own minds “justified” in their actions to preempt someone from violence.

Or, this is nothing more then a backdoor confiscation effort and massive abuse of governmental power unleashed on innocent Citizens.

Those are the only two possible explanations.

If anyone still feels some level of doubt regarding the veracity of this story, Attorney Tresmond welcomes anyone to visit his website tresmondlaw.com, Facebook page ( https://www.facebook.com/james.tresmond.7 ), or send an email to TresmondLaw@gmail.com.

Mr Tresmond asks that those making inquiries be mindful and respectful of the fact that they have been deluged with inquiries in recent days and therefore a personal reply may be delayed or impossible due to the volume.

About Dan Roberts:

Dan Roberts is a grassroots supporter of gun rights that has chosen AmmoLand Shooting Sports News as the perfect outlet for his frank, ‘Jersey Attitude’ filled articles on Guns and Gun Owner Rights.As a resident of the oppressive state of New Jersey he is well placed to be able to discuss the abuses of government against our inalienable rights to keep and bear arms as he writes from deep behind NJ’s Anti-Gun iron curtain. Read more from Dan Roberts or email him at DRoberts@ammoland.com You can also find him on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/dan.roberts.18

2013-04-08 12:49:19

Source: http://www.ammoland.com/2013/04/new-york-gun-confiscation-underway/

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I was under the impression that the mass shootings over the last year were perpetrated by those with mental issues.  I was also under the impression that everyone was in agreement that people with mental issues should be screened and not allowed to have or procure a weapon.  What happened.....when did this stance change?   :shrug:  As far as I know, there is no Constitutional Amendment protecting a person's right to practice mental illness.

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 1

I just thank God I live in a place with common sense. Those fools up there have no clue. Sad

I was under the impression that the mass shootings over the last year were perpetrated by those with mental issues.  I was also under the impression that everyone was in agreement that people with mental issues should be screened and not allowed to have or procure a weapon.  What happened.....when did this stance change?   :shrug:  As far as I know, there is no Constitutional Amendment protecting a person's right to practice mental illness.

GO RV, then BV

If someone is prescribed a drug for depression, anxiety then they are considered mentally ill? I don't think so. Mental illness is defined as a disease of the mind serious enough to require psychiatric care

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I just thank God I live in a place with common sense. Those fools up there have no clue. Sad

If someone is prescribed a drug for depression, anxiety then they are considered mentally ill? I don't think so. Mental illness is defined as a disease of the mind serious enough to require psychiatric care. 

Sorry sxsess.....I have no intention of surrounding myself with an armed depressive.......medication or not.  So, I guess the next step will be to hammer out the guidelines for determining mental illness.......what will qualify and what won't.  By the time the powers that be get through that mess.......the gun issue will be old news and everyone will lose interest, unless another mental case pops more innocent people, that is.   :huh: 

GO RV, then BV

What happened.....when did this stance change?   :shrug:  As far as I know, there is no Constitutional Amendment protecting a person's right to practice mental illness.

GO RV, then BV

My dad always said that "if you give them an inch, they will take a mile".  This is just the start and that is why we have been discussing this topic for a couple months as most of us knew that this would happen!!  I am so tired of these people trying to control us, take take take is all they do to us!  What has happened to the US

• Upvote 4

My dad always said that "if you give them an inch, they will take a mile".  This is just the start and that is why we have been discussing this topic for a couple months as most of us knew that this would happen!!  I am so tired of these people trying to control us, take take take is all they do to us!  What has happened to the US

So what's the answer Bump.......just continue down the road we are on, and consider mass shootings as nothing more or less than collateral damage?   :shrug: 

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

So what's the answer Bump.......just continue down the road we are on, and consider mass shootings as nothing more or less than collateral damage?   :shrug: 

GO RV, then BV

No one is looking for a shooting match but we can't cower in the corner and let them do anything to us that they want.

They are the ones pushing us to the point that we might have to fight back. Fastest way to stop a bully is to haul off and punch him in the nose just as hard as you can!

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

THIS is precisely how they manage to get their agenda past the majority of the sleeping public.  Could have said "drugs" also, but with marijuana being legalized lately, the words "mental illness" will work just fine.

The point being...by the time the political correctness crowd gets around to "defining" mental issues...tens of thousands of people could have been removed from the general population under the authority of this badly-defined act.

Maybe you've not kept up with the number of people criminalized by the "war on drugs" who have had their lives ruined, disrupted, and blighted...without cause.  Very few people paid attention because drugs are an unwanted part of any decent society...but notice that the criteria are getting a little closer to home.  How many of us, particularly those of us over 50...have not had a doctor prescribe medications that some other people might find questionable?

Personally, I find the cute little asian chef at the Benihaha Restaurant to be a little on the scary side, flicking knives around like they are made of pasta.  He could slit the throats on a party of six without even alarming the patrons at the next table.  I wonder what kind of mental screening these young cutthroats receive?  THERE SHOULD BE A LAW...

• Upvote 1

(Pulls out soap box and stands on top of it)

I have to say - mass shootings are not acceptable by any means.  I've seen what suicide bombings can do - and it makes me sick to my stomach just remembering.

This is going to be a tough nut to crack and a real tight rope walk. I'm all for 2nd amendment rights - always will be - and agree they have to be protected.

If we go for the mental illness card - then I can no longer have a weapon.  I have been diagnosed with PTSD and depression. I was on anti-depressants for almost 2 years.  I have since found an alternative health supplement - and I'm doing just fine. I have no compulsion to want to go out on a shooting spree. I play "first person shooter" video games - am a trained Infantry soldier - have been in combat - and still couldn't pull the trigger on a defenseless person.

Are there people who because of mental illness should not have access to fire arms?  Of course there is. If they are actively exhibiting characteristics that could endanger people - the common sense test says "Keep him away from firearms and explosives."  I'm afraid it does boil down to "where do we draw the line."  Do we have each person who wants a firearm get a psych eval?  You know that isn't going to work. Do we have anyone who has had issues in the past get a psych eval?  More manageable - but you know someone with a problem is going to get missed in that process, and we will still have some type of mass incident occur and the media will jump all over that "failed policy".

I will admit I don't have an answer - on the whole, I would like to see background checks. The same kind they do for you concealed carry permit. The system is already in place and should be able to be expanded with minimal expenditures.  Of course, that opens the whole database thing - but I'm already in one with my carry permit.

There are always trade offs. It seems to me - and this is just my little pea brain doing what it does sometimes - that if there were other trained armed individuals when someone attempts a mass shooting - it ends real quick.  Like I said, I can't pull the trigger on a defenseless person - but if I feel threatened and they have a weapon, I have no reservations in that case.

(Steps off of soap box)

• Upvote 5

IT IS TIME FOR AMERICA TO LOCK AND LOAD THEIR WEAPONS...OBAMA'S CORRUPTED ANTI-AMERICAN/ANTI-CONSTITUTION BRAINDEADS AND ZOMBIES ARE NOW ASKING FOR CIVIL UNREST ACROSS THE NATION!!!

TRY COMING TO TEXAS...YOU OBAMA BUFFOONS!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

" Mental illness is defined as a disease of the mind serious enough to require psychiatric care ".  I quote Sxsess. :twothumbs:

I'll take a wild stab in the dark here. I'd say that the vast majority of our Govt officials on BOTH sides of the aisle would qualify under this definition to warrant psychiatric care, while being heavily medicated.

I have had my fill of the entire Govt !!! This is one Great Big Giant Hairy Furball !!!!!!!!!! :mad:  :mad:  :mad: 

IT IS TIME FOR AMERICA TO LOCK AND LOAD THEIR WEAPONS...OBAMA'S CORRUPTED ANTI-AMERICAN/ANTI-CONSTITUTION BRAINDEADS AND ZOMBIES ARE NOW ASKING FOR CIVIL UNREST ACROSS THE NATION!!!

TRY COMING TO TEXAS...YOU OBAMA BUFFOONS!!!

You and your ilk are no help at all........Got anything constructive to contribute?   <_< 

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think we all agree that their are different degrees of mental illness. If they do not make that distinction then this is just a gun grab. So what's next alcoholism ? If you drink more then 6 beers a week you are a alcoholic and therefore not mentally fit enough to own a firearm. No this is just the beginning . They will do everything in their power to disarm us. Tax the sale of ammo. A outrageous sin tax on firearms. All the while smiling and saying we wont take your guns. It`s not our fault you can no longer afford one.  

This is bullshat ethier way you cut it. Period

• Upvote 2

Where's LIB when we need his input? Who else is living in NY? Before It's News is Alex Jones' website, isn't it? Or similar? Time to look for other sources to confirm this story.

KK

Here's a thought. Research yourself.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

This is EXACTLY what the new law mandates.......

The most significant new proposal would require mental health professionals to report to local mental health officials when they believe that patients are likely to harm themselves or others. Law enforcement would then be authorized to confiscate any firearm owned by a dangerous patient; therapists would not be sanctioned for a failure to report such patients if they acted “in good faith.”

This is the entire article..........

New York State’s New Gun Law Shreds Patient Confidentiality, Trust

By John M. Grohol, PsyD
Founder & Editor-in-Chief (Google+ Profile)

ny-gun-law-shreds-confidentiality-patienOn Tuesday, New York became the first state to pass a tough new law on gun ownership. But not the kind of gun ownership that is actually responsible for most of the murders in the U.S. No, just one targeted at making tragedies like Newtown, CT a little more difficult in the future to pull off.

But in focusing on these one-off tragedies that subjectively seem epic (but objectively, are a drop in our national murder-rate bucket), the over-reaction of the lawmakers was predictable.

So lawmakers have decided to turn every physician, nurse, social worker, therapist and mental health professional in New York into a new kind of mandated reporter — people who turn into police officers when it comes to certain behaviors. In doing so, lawmakers in New York have single-handedly shred the foundation of confidentiality and trust in the doctor/patient and therapist/client relationship.

Is this a sensible reaction?

The New York Times notes the big change:

The most significant new proposal would require mental health professionals to report to local mental health officials when they believe that patients are likely to harm themselves or others. Law enforcement would then be authorized to confiscate any firearm owned by a dangerous patient; therapists would not be sanctioned for a failure to report such patients if they acted “in good faith.”

Currently in most states, mental health professionals already have an ethical duty to report certain kinds of behavior to authorities — active and ongoing abuse (whether child, partner, spousal, or elder), and certain threats of homicide or suicide. But the key difference is that the state has generally left this up to a professional’s experience and judgment to decide when to report, and when not to.

There may be many methods to helping someone in these situations, but most importantly, most of them do not involve immediately betraying the trust of the patient and reporting them to the authorities. From an ABC News article on the new law:

This flexibility allows a therapist to deal with a risk of violence without breaching confidentiality in all cases, he said. And even if those steps are enough to blunt the danger, the proposed law would still require that the patient be reported to mental health authorities, he noted.

“It undercuts the clinical approach to treating these impulses, and instead turns it into a public safety issue,” [said Dr. Paul Appelbaum at Columbia University.]

The new law, if health professionals follow it, completely throws away the therapeutic relationship with the patient, and breaches the patient’s trust and confidentiality. People with mental illness are being scapegoated, despite the lack of research demonstrating a conclusive link between mental illness and violence.

Worse, it encourages smart people to simply not admit to any such impulses of violence — even if they have little or no intent to carry them out. Patients are now encouraged — through the haphazard, quick passage of this law — to self-censor while talking to their therapist. Certain thoughts will be reported to the government otherwise.

If this doesn’t sound like Big Brother, I don’t know what does.

So while well-meaning, New York lawmakers have just managed to completely undermine the good, hard work that therapists do with citizens of that state. And state residents will learn to keep their mouths shut if they want to keep their Constitutional rights intact.

Kudos.

So, in my opinion, the Pro gun blogs are exagerating what exactly is happening.  They are making it sound much more sinister then it actually is, in my opinion.

Can this lead to more wide spread confiscations down the road?  Of course it COULD, anything is possible.  However the reality of it seems to be, to me at least, that New York is being proactive in getting guns out of the homes and hands of people who, as history has taught us, are the most apt to use them to commit murder.

I know a lot of people will look at it differently, and I completely respect that.  But to me it seems that the blogs are being a bit more dramatic than they need to be. 

Take care all.

• Upvote 2

Here's a thought. Research yourself.

WOW, Brandy! I didn't mean for you to research it, I meant I was going to! Chillax, Chica! Tai chi works well, as does yoga... 

BTW, the - wasn't from me... altho it should have been. Thanks to whoever had my back...

KK

This is EXACTLY what the new law mandates.......

But to me it seems that the blogs are being a bit more dramatic than they need to be. 

Thanks for sharing, LIB. I agree with your opinion, some of the blogs are being a bit dramatic... but hey, it's what they do. Keeps people hanging on their every word. Pretty sad, actually.

KK

Edited by KiaKaha
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just saw this "At least 14 hurt in Texas stabbing spree". Blomberg & Obama are reported to be huddling now on how to exploit this................a ban on "assault knives" is evident. No word as of yet on how to deal with real issue of deranged people - peace

• Upvote 1

"he was seeing a therapist for anxiety and had been prescribed an anxiety drug."

Gun Confiscation? I think - NOT.

Once again people are going over the top. "seeing a therapist for anxiety" Mental Problems.

California and many other states are already doing this. As an American I want the guns taken away from people with mental issues and those who commit felonies too. Sorry if SOME on this site feel differently but if you have "issues" I want your guns taken away & any guns your wife or kids have in that house. Just common sense to me! :)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

WOW, Brandy! I didn't mean for you to research it, I meant I was going to! Chillax, Chica! Tai chi works well, as does yoga... 

BTW, the - wasn't from me... altho it should have been. Thanks to whoever had my back...

KK

Thanks for sharing, LIB. I agree with your opinion, some of the blogs are being a bit dramatic... but hey, it's what they do. Keeps people hanging on their every word. Pretty sad, actually.

KK

I am sorry. I took it the wrong way. I do need tai chi, send positive energy. :)