Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Children shot and killed at Connecticut school: report Reuters – 7 mins ago

Bumper64

e4b099b01de6af23230f6a70670074ae.jpg

In this photo provided by the Newtown Bee, Connecticut State Police lead children from the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., following a reported shooting there Friday, Dec. 14, 2012. (AP Photo/Newtown …

(Reuters) - A shooter opened fire at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut, on Friday, killing several people including children, the Hartford Courant newspaper reported.

The shooter was also killed, the Courant said.

Sandy Hook Elementary School teaches children from kindergarten through fourth grade - roughly ages 5 to 10.

Television images showed police and ambulances at the scene, and parents rushing toward the school. Parents were seen reuniting with their children and taking them home.

All Newtown schools were placed in lockdown after the shooting, the Newtown Public School District said.

The shooter, an adult, was dead and two handguns were recovered from the scene, NBC News reported without citing a source.

Danbury Hospital, about 11 miles west of the school, had received three patients from the scene, a hospital spokeswoman told NBC Connecticut. The mayor of Danbury, Mark Boughton, told MSNBC: "They are very serious injuries."

A girl interviewed by NBC Connecticut described hearing seven loud "booms" as she was in gym class. Other children began crying and teachers moved the students to a nearby office, she said.

"A police officer came in and told us to run outside and so we did," the unidentified girl said on camera.

One child was carried from Sandy Hook Elementary School by a police officer, and the child appeared to have been wounded, the town's weekly newspaper, the Newtown Bee, said on its website.

Connecticut State Police said its officers were at the scene with local police but provided no additional details. The emergency call to police occurred at 9:41 a.m., state police said.

An individual answering the phone at the Newtown Police Department declined to comment.

Newtown, with a population about 27,000, is in northern Fairfield County, about 45 miles southwest of Hartford and 80 miles northeast of New York City.

Sandy Hook is one of four elementary schools in the district.

The United States has experienced a number of mass shooting rampages this year, most recently in Oregon, where a gunman opened fire at a shopping mall on Tuesday, killing two people and then himself.

The deadliest attack came in July at a midnight screening of a Batman film in Colorado that killed 12 people and wounded 58.

• Upvote 1

That's awful Bump. I have no idea what is up with some of these nuts these days. It really does make me think twice about gun laws. I really want to keep mine......but I don't want people like that to have theirs. How do we fix it?

GO RV, then BV

The problem is Shab is that if nuts like this want to get guns, they will get them one way or another. This is so sad! Praying for the families of these children!

• Upvote 3

That's awful Bump. I have no idea what is up with some of these nuts these days. It really does make me think twice about gun laws. I really want to keep mine......but I don't want people like that to have theirs. How do we fix it?

GO RV, then BV

If they don't have guns they will use knives, bombs, fire etc.........sad.gif SICK SICK people!!

You can lay a gun on a table and it will not move until someone moves it so........... what is the answer???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sandy1_1355507354.jpg

27 People Dead, Mostly Children, at Connecticut Elementary School Shooting

latest update!! sad.gif

More than two dozen people, mostly elementary school children, were shot and killed at a Newtown, Conn., elementary school this morning, federal and state sources tell ABC News.

The massacre involved two gunmen at a Connecticut school this morning, prompting the town of Newtown to lock down all of its schools and draw SWAT teams to the school, authorities said today.

State Police confirm that one shooter is dead. A second gunman is apparently at large. Car-to-car searches are underway.

It's unclear how many people have been shot, but 25 people, mostly children are dead, multiple federal and state sources tell ABC News. That number could rise, officials said.

It is the worst shooting in a U.S. elementary school in recent memory.

The shooting comes just three days after masked gunman Jacob Roberts opened fire in a busy Portland, Ore., mall killing two before turning the gun on himself.

Today's shooting occurred at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, about 12 miles east of Danbury.

Watch State Police News Conference Live at 1 p.m. at ABCNews.com

State Police received the first 911 call at 9:41a.m. and immediately began sending emergency units from the western part of the state. Initial 911 calls stated that multiple students were trapped in a classroom, possibly with a gunman, according to a Connecticut State Police source.

A photo from the scene shows a line of distressed children being led out of the school.

LIVE UPDATES: Newtown, Conn., School Shooting

While some students have been reunited with their parents on the school's perimeter, one group of students remains unaccounted for, according to a source with a child in the school.

The school is kindergarten through fourth grade.

CLICK HERE for more photos from the scene.

Three patients have been taken to Danbury Hospital, which is also on lockdown, according to the hospital's Facebook page.

"Out of abundance of caution and not because of any direct threat Danbury Hospital is under lockdown," the statement said. "This allows us simply to focus on the important work at hand."

Newtown Public School District secretary of superintendent Kathy June said in a statement that the district's school were locked down because of the report of a shooting. "The district is taking preventive measures by putting all schools in lockdown until we ensure the safety of all students and staff."

State police sent SWAT team units to Newtown.

All public and private schools in the town are on lockdown.

"We have increased our police presence at all Danbury Public Schools due to the events in Newtown. Pray for the victims," Newtown Mayor Boughton tweeted.

State emergency management officials said ambulances and other units were also en route and staging near the school.

A message on the school district website says that all afternoon kindergarten is cancelled today and there will be no mid-day bus runs.

• Upvote 1

If they don't have guns they will use knives, bombs, fire etc.........sad.gif SICK SICK people!!

You can lay a gun on a table and it will not move until someone moves it so........... what is the answer???

But you and I and many others know right from wrong. How do you weed out the crazies?

• Upvote 2

And some people still think everybody should have a gun, I'm 55 years old and never touched a gun in my life, guns should be banned for the general public, only people that pass a background check and have a reason to buy a gun should have them.

Brother I hear what you are saying but if you give me $50 I can go to any street corner and purchase you a weapon!!

I AGREE 100% ON THE STIFFER BACKGROUND CHECKS!!

It's sad

• Upvote 5

Brother I hear what you are saying but if you give me $50 I can go to any street corner and purchase you a weapon!!

I AGREE 100% ON THE STIFFER BACKGROUND CHECKS!!

It's sad

This is just horrible Bumper, Christmas is just around the corner and for many people it'll be the worst time of their lives. And most people that die from gun shot are innocent people, when are the laws going to protect the innocent.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

All eyes are on this tragedy today. We all need to pray for the school, the families, the children that are safe, and especially those families that have lost children.

God, we are left without words to this unthinkable tragedy. Comfort the community and these families with your love and grace. Help us as a society to understand the nature of this event and that those who murdered these children and adults will feel your wrath and judgment.

Father, help us as a people to bring you back into our life. Change our way of thinking that we may become different people, a people who walk in your way and know your love. Change our heart and the heart of those who are mentally sick and depressed. Give us hope.

And God, please forgive us for forsaking you and taken you out of our life. We want you. We need you. We must have you with us.

In Jesus' name.

• Upvote 9

This is just horrible Bumper, Christmas is just around the corner and for many people it'll be the worst time of their lives. And most people that die from gun shot are innocent people, when are the laws going to protect the innocent.

I truly wish I had the answer to that!!

I carry a gun everyday, it is not so I can hurt someone but so in the event that I might be able to HELP someone!

it's just sad any way we look at it!!

I know this will not go over well with a lot of DV members but I would like to see prisons like in the old days!!

Take away cable TV, make them get out and work in the heat and cold instead of AC and Heat!

More executions and have some on TV!! "Harsh" I know but something needs to change the thinking of these people!

Make these people think before commenting a crime!!

JMO!!!

• Upvote 14

All eyes are on this tragedy today. We all need to pray for the school, the families, the children that are safe, and especially those families that have lost children.

God, we are left without words to this unthinkable tragedy. Comfort the community and these families with your love and grace. Help us as a society to understand the nature of this event and that those who murdered these children and adults will feel your wrath and judgment.

Father, help us as a people to bring you back into our life. Change our way of thinking that we may become different people, a people who walk in your way and know your love. Change our heart and the heart of those who are mentally sick and depressed. Give us hope.

And God, please forgive us for forsaking you and taken you out of our life. We want you. We need you. We must have you with us.

In Jesus' name.

Amen!

• Upvote 1

In Jesus' name.

Amen

• Upvote 4

This is horrific. No words...

This is the way we learn.

Someday the gun laws will be stronger and we will be safer.

Not true that people will kill with anything...guns are the easiest way to kill and should be used only with real psycho/background checks. Sure it costs money, - the NRA will moan and cry, but in the end, it's what we must do.

I personally am tired of hearing all the 2nd Amendment people crying out for their rights...until it happens to them...

We won't lose all our guns. We just need to thorougly check those who buy them.

Edited by hame55
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 11

I truly wish I had the answer to that!!

I carry a gun everyday, it is not so I can hurt someone but so in the event that I might be able to HELP someone!

it's just sad any way we look at it!!

I know this will not go over well with a lot of DV members but I would like to see prisons like in the old days!!

Take away cable TV, make them get out and work in the heat and cold instead of AC and Heat!

More executions and have some on TV!! "Harsh" I know but something needs to change the thinking of these people!

Make these people think before commenting a crime!!

JMO!!!

I certainly agree with you on stricter prisons. The problem is.....the people who commit these kind of crimes.....seem to have a death wish to begin with. A high percentage of these people never leave the crime scene alive.......self inflicted gun wounds seems to be their way out. My heart aches for these innocent children.

• Upvote 1

I certainly agree with you on stricter prisons. The problem is.....the people who commit these kind of crimes.....seem to have a death wish to begin with. A high percentage of these people never leave the crime scene alive.......self inflicted gun wounds seems to be their way out. My heart aches for these innocent children.

I am with you!!

If they need to go and kill innocent people and in the end kill themselves or hope to be killed, WHY will they not just skip the middle people and place the first bullet in their own heads!!

Some seem to do it so that their names will go down in history, they try and glorify themselves through the media so what do we do??

• Upvote 2