Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

GOP shoots down another jobs bill

umbertino

by: Mark Gruenberg

July 20 2012

WASHINGTON - Once again, a planned Senate Republican filibuster brought down a jobs bill, the Bring Jobs Home Act.

The 56-42 vote on July 19 to open debate, and the later real vote on the measure, was not enough to cross the 60-vote threshold lawmakers needed to halt the scheduled Republican talkathon against it. So the bill died.

The measure banned firms from deducting from their taxes the expenses of shifting U.S. jobs overseas, while giving firms that bring outsourced jobs back here an additional 20 percent tax credit for doing so.

Four Republicans - including two in tight re-election races, Scott Brown of Massachusetts and Dean Heller of Nevada - joined 50 Democrats and both independents in voting to debate the measure by Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Mich. The AFL-CIO pushed it and asked members to call and e-mail senators for it.

"Too many of our tax and trade policies continue to reward multi-national companies who offshore jobs," federation Legislative Director Bill Samuel wrote senators. "This important legislation will create and keep jobs here at home."

"Every other major industrial country has a strategic plan to create and keep good jobs. It's time for the U.S. to implement a real plan...to put our people back to work and end the tax breaks and flawed policies that encourage rampant offshoring," he added. "The Bring The Jobs Home Act is the first step" in doing so, Samuel said.

Before the vote, Stabenow, Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., and other backers discussed the jobs bill, anyway. "In the last decade, companies shipped 2.4 million jobs overseas," Stabenow said. "To add insult to injury, American taxpayers were asked to help foot the bill. It is amazing. When I explain that to folks in Michigan, they say you have to be kidding - or they say other things I cannot repeat on the floor of the Senate.

"Just imagine if you are one of those workers in Michigan or Virginia or Ohio or Wisconsin or anywhere who maybe was forced to train your overseas replacement before you were laid off...When an American worker is asked to subsidize the moving expenses and costs so their own job can be shipped overseas," as they do now, "there is something seriously wrong with our tax code and our priorities."

"This is about making sure we see the words 'Made in America' again," Boxer said. "We need the jobs here. Shipping jobs overseas became a trend and a lot of important voices were heard saying: That is just the way it is. It is not just the way it is. If we have policies in place that incentivize manufacturing and production here, we are not going to lose those jobs."

http://www.peoplesworld.org/gop-shoots-down-another-jobs-bill/

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 9

This is a bad time for Obama not to get a chance to dump another trillion dollars into his supporters pockets. Maybe they will still remember the gifts from him from the last waste of tax payers money. Has anyone ever got one of the jobs created by this extravagant spending?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

This is a bad time for Obama not to get a chance to dump another trillion dollars into his supporters pockets. Maybe they will still remember the gifts from him from the last waste of tax payers money. Has anyone ever got one of the jobs created by this extravagant spending?

Obama is deperate it's election year. his past economic stimulus didn't do anything but put are kids on the hook to pay trillions of debt. Steve jobs was a smart man he he told obama that he won't see a second term do to his policies toward are free market economy.

• Upvote 1

the Bring Jobs Home Act.....Its a cute name for a bill that

increases taxes.

Whats the tax credit a business gets for bringing jobs back? The article

says 20% additional. Additional to what?....How much is it?....They dont say,

Its obviously too low.

Oh, wait, I found it

grant business taxpayers a tax credit for up to 20% of insourcing expenses incurred for eliminating a business located outside the United States and relocating it within the United States

So the article has it wrong, its not an additional 20%.....Its a flat 20%

of the expenses

That is not adequate to do the job....The Demo's know it too.

If these Bozo's want to keep and get back jobs in the US, they

must reduce Taxes and Regulations....Period.

The Republicans did the right thing by blocking this Lib baloney.

Come up with a real working plan to increase jobs. It might have a chance.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

it doesn't matter what the President tries in helping the economy the GOP has already made their minds up to stall everything..........the kicker that gets me is the 2 years the formula that has figured cost of living raises for folks on social security didn't allow us one.....then the President wants to send us $250 check to help out .....what happens the republicans pulled out their stall tactic.......and it is so funny here in my area of the south and many of my friends said Obama cut out their normal raises...you can't fix stupid(I haven't heard much talk this year when we got a raise)......I predict if Romney buys his way to the Whitehouse payback will be hell..........he will get the same treatment from the democrats!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Good post U. I'm not sure why a few idiots gave you a neg. The bill should have passed.

I agree with the bill. Outsourced labor costs should not be a deductible expense on the tax returns of US Corporations that outsource their work to other countries. Increasing the tax liability of US Corporations that choose to do so is a great concept. I love it.

Americans are out of work. Bringing jobs back to the US would increase the payroll tax revenue that the US Government relies on daily to prop it up and provide jobs to American's that need them That's my thought.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

Good post U. I'm not sure why a few idiots gave you a neg. The bill should have passed.

I agree with the bill. Outsourced labor costs should not be a deductible expense on the tax returns of US Corporations that outsource their work to other countries. Increasing the tax liability of US Corporations that choose to do so is a great concept. I love it.

Americans are out of work. Bringing jobs back to the US would increase the payroll tax revenue that the US Government relies on daily to prop it up and provide jobs to American's that need them That's my thought.

Why would a big profit corporation ever move back to USA?

see this link for why they wouldn't

http://business.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/02/corporate-tax-asia-vs-u-s/

I'm cool with a neg or two. Let's not be cowards. If you give a neg to a member you should at least have the gonads to argue your opinion.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Why would a big profit corporation ever move back to USA?

see this link for why they wouldn't

http://business.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/02/corporate-tax-asia-vs-u-s/

It's all about the bottom line. The P&L and Balance Sheet to be exact.

The US relies on working Americans to support the Budget via payroll taxes. If Americans are unemployed and jobs are being outsourced this country will suffer as we have witnessed.

• Upvote 1

I'm cool with a neg or two. Let's not be cowards. If you give a neg to a member you should at least have the gonads to argue your opinion.

I evened you out Ski.....Dont be fooled by the language of this bill.

First indicator, its from the Demorats

Secondly, this is a job outsourcing bill....The Demo's say they will give 20%

of the cost in reduced taxes to bring jobs back. Whats the cost? Lets say its

20k per year per employee.....20% of that is 4k....Why would any Corporation

do that? Its a net loss.

For Corporations that dont accede to the demands, whats the bludgeon? Well,

they get their taxes raised, in a country with the highest Corp Taxes in the

world.

So.....A corp that has increased taxes would naturally leave, and they would

take their jobs with them.

The measures that the Republicans want are job creators.....here's some of them.

Job-creation measures listed are the Reducing Regulatory Burdens Act,

the Energy Tax Prevention Act, the Protecting Jobs from Government Interference Act

and bills that would slash environmental regulations and union rights.

• Upvote 3

I evened you out Ski.....Dont be fooled by the language of this bill.

do that? Its a net loss.

world.

The measures that the Republicans want are job creators.....here's some of them.

the Energy Tax Prevention Act, the Protecting Jobs from Government Interference Act

Yeah Cris! Let's create more "sweat shops" in poverty stricken countries.

Why would any corporation bring our jobs back? rolleyes.gif MONEY!

BRING OUR JOBS BACK! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Yeah Cris! Let's create more "sweat shops" in poverty stricken countries.

Why would any corporation bring our jobs back? rolleyes.gif MONEY!

BRING OUR JOBS BACK! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Yeah Maggie!! :D ....if you knew more about Ron Paul, he would give you

the same answer I did. Every business is created to make

money....not jobs.

Keep towing the Lib water around though, its what you always do.

Edited by cris
  • Upvote 2

Never have we ever been less free than we are now,

Industry evacuated it threw in the towel,

Fines from regulation has replaced it anyhow,

The one great dream is gone.

Holy, holy, holy molly

Holy, holy, holy molly

Holy, holy, holy molly

The one great dream is gone.

OSHA

EPA

Department of Labor

Yeah Maggie!! biggrin.gif ....if you knew more about Ron Paul, he would give you

the same answer I did. Every business is created to make

money....not jobs.

Keep towing the Lib water around though, its what you always do.

What Does Ron Paul Have To Do With This? rolleyes.gif

"Every business is created to make money....not jobs."

Don't know where you come from... I HAVE created jobs. I have always felt that if you take care of your people they will take care of you. biggrin.gif

What Does Ron Paul Have To Do With This? rolleyes.gif

"Every business is created to make money....not jobs."

Don't know where you come from... I HAVE created jobs. I have always felt that if you take care of your people they will take care of you. biggrin.gif

Your a Ron Paul supporter....BTW, Romney would tell you the same.

They are in agreement on this......You dont have to believe me, but

as a Pauler, I would assume you would at least know where he stands. ;)

do that? Its a net loss.

world.

• Upvote 2

Your a Ron Paul supporter....BTW, Romney would tell you the same.

They are in agreement on this......You dont have to believe me, but

as a Pauler, I would assume you would at least know where he stands. ;)

do that? Its a net loss.

world.

You took most of the words out of my mouth. Until the USA can guarantee lower taxes than the foreign governments big business will continue to leave for greener ($$$) pastures.

Of course, the Union thing is a whole other issue. As long as they continue to cripple business with their greedier and greedier demands the USA will go further and further into third world status. Then we shall see what the all powerful Unions will demand.