Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Brzezinski Says Romney Lacks ‘Grasp’ of Foreign Policy

Scrumdiddles

A former Democratic national security adviser assailed Republican presidential front-runner Mitt Romney for lacking a grasp of foreign policy and said the former Massachusetts governor would return the U.S. to the policies of George W. Bush.

“If we take seriously what he has been saying in the course of the campaign, we have every reason to be very worried,” former U.S. National Security Adviser Zbigniew Brzezinski said in an interview on Bloomberg Television’s “Political Capital With Al Hunt,” airing this weekend. “He probably subscribes to the notions articulated by his Republican predecessor,” George W. Bush, Brzezinski said.

Romney is surrounding himself with advisers from the Bush administration, and he doesn’t display a “broad grasp of what is unique about this century, how it differs from the preceding one,” said Brzezinski, who was President Jimmy Carter’s national security adviser.

In Brzezinski’s view, the best candidate to succeed Secretary of State Hillarious Clinton in a second term for Obama would be Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman John Kerry, a Massachusetts Democrat and former presidential nominee. Chuck Hagel, a former Senate Republican from Nebraska, also would be “awfully good,” he said.

Romney has faced criticism from Republican rivals as well as Democrats for comments such as his description this week ofRussia as “without question, our number-one geopolitical foe.”

Campaign Advisers

His campaign advisers have included Robert Joseph, a former White House and State Department official under Bush who helped coordinate a white paper on what the Bush administration said was Saddam Hussein’s “quest for nuclear weapons.” No evidence of an Iraqi nuclear weapons program was found after the U.S. invaded Iraq in 2003.

Romney’s comments on Iran, Brzezinski said, “are just so casual, and at the same time so militant, that one has to wonder whether he’ll feel bound by what he said in the course of the campaign.”

Brzezinski, an early supporter of then-candidate Barack Obama, also said he’s been disappointed by what he said is the president’s failure to capitalize on his understanding of foreign policy.

Brzezinski, author of the book “Strategic Vision: America and the Crisis of Global Power,” published in January, said the U.S. in recent decades has missed opportunities to generate the political will and make the necessary sacrifices to avoid a slide into what he says would be a chaotic world marred by sporadic violence.

Sermons, Strategy

Obama hasn’t been able “to set a firm course of action and to, in effect, combine his tendency to sermonize with his capacity to strategize,” Brzezinski, who now serves as a counselor and trustee for the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a Washington policy research organization, said in the interview.

Iran’s nuclear program is one area in which Obama is being backed into a corner, Brzezinski said.

Israeli officials have said time is running out for diplomacy or financial sanctions before it’s too late to use a military strike that might prevent Iran from developing the ability to build a nuclear weapon. Iran says it’s pursuing nuclear power solely to generate electricity and for medical research.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Ehud Barak appear to be trying to “maneuver us into a situation in which we feel we have to support them,” risking Iranian retaliation against U.S. forces in the Persian Gulf region, Brzezinski said.

Patience on Iran

The U.S. should “be patient in pursuing” an agreement with Iran, while extending its nuclear deterrence pledge to Israel and Persian Gulf nations, the former national security adviser said.

“We have done that successfully in protecting South Korea and Japan from North Korea,” he said. “We did the same thing for decades in Europe against the Soviet Union. We have deterred the would-be nuclear threats, but we didn’t preempt and go to war in a preventive attack.”

A pre-emptive attack on Iran to stop its nuclear program “will produce disasters now,” he said.

http://www.bloomberg...ign-policy.html

Edited by Scrumdiddles

Coming from the mouth of one of the most liberal marxists in the country. Look who's calling the kettle black! Who would believe Brzezinski except for the libs? :lol: :lol:

This was President Carter's National Security Advisor and principle foreign advisor who was responsible for the government of Iran today. They both created the mess in Iran at the time and idly stood by as the American Embassy in Tehran was overtaken by the religious zealots and refused to do anything about it. Several hundred embassy officials were captured until they were released when Regean was Inaugurated President.

Edited by parmenio

Okay then - what more do you need to know to discount everything he has to say :eek::woot::lmao:

sorry you guys on the right not in politics but Brzeinski is well respected by conservatives who are in politics......Romney will need someone of his experience to stand a chance of defeating Obama......assuming he would even take the post....Romney needs all the luck money can buy since he can't get the yes nod from the extreme right....suck it up right wingers Romney is your man....what will he do if elected...my guess is run from the right because he could care less...remember he likes firing people and you guys do not matter to him once elected...this could finally split the GOP....the very wealthy with much power...then the religious right and gung ho mislead gun fanatics from the good ole south......the GOP has for many years been a strange group the super wealthy throwing olive branches to the religious extemesists..gunfanatics.....etc.....remember the super rich even with money can't win when the democrats have a sizeable advantage in registered voters....hopefully their latest trick to again disenfranchise voters will backfire and put a blackeye on the GOP that will not go away.....

Coming from the mouth of one of the most liberal marxists in the country. Look who's calling the kettle black! Who would believe Brzezinski except for the libs? :lol: :lol:

This was President Carter's National Security Advisor and principle foreign advisor who was responsible for the government of Iran today. They both created the mess in Iran at the time and idly stood by as the American Embassy in Tehran was overtaken by the religious zealots and refused to do anything about it. Several hundred embassy officials were captured until they were released when Regean was Inaugurated President.

how ironic they were released as soon as Reagen took office as well as the weapon fiasco....

sorry you guys on the right not in politics but Brzeinski is well respected by conservatives who are in politics......Romney will need someone of his experience to stand a chance of defeating Obama......assuming he would even take the post....Romney needs all the luck money can buy since he can't get the yes nod from the extreme right....suck it up right wingers Romney is your man....what will he do if elected...my guess is run from the right because he could care less...remember he likes firing people and you guys do not matter to him once elected...this could finally split the GOP....the very wealthy with much power...then the religious right and gung ho mislead gun fanatics from the good ole south......the GOP has for many years been a strange group the super wealthy throwing olive branches to the religious extemesists..gunfanatics.....etc.....remember the super rich even with money can't win when the democrats have a sizeable advantage in registered voters....hopefully their latest trick to again disenfranchise voters will backfire and put a blackeye on the GOP that will not go away.....

I understand you lefties LOVE this guy...but is this octogenerian the best you got? Why dip into the cespool of the marxists a second time? We're still paying for his damage the first time he gave advice to the peanut farmer! "Fool me once shame you..., fool me twice shame on me!"

Now..., name me ONE well respected conservative who supported this marxist.

Edited by parmenio

I understand you lefties LOVE this guy...but is this octogenerian the best you got? Why dip into the cespool of the marxists a second time? We're still paying for his damage the first time he gave advice to the peanut farmer! "Fool me once shame you..., fool me twice shame on me!"

Now..., name me ONE well respected conservative who supported this marxist.

Still waiting for an answer, bright.

By registered voters are you referring to the dead, convicted felons (whose voting rights have not been restored), and illegal aliens?

I love how you demean those that exercise their right to bear arms. Whether it's for hunting, defense or collecting it is a right guaranteed in the U.S. Constitution. A right that is exercised by individual citizens in all 50 states. Call me mislead, but I know my home and my person are protected 24/7. As for disparaging the south, well it's easy to be a key board coward and let it rip isn't it?