Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

WANTED- MEDITATION EXPERT

wealthhound

1st of all you made it clear you were a christian, I responded due to that. This is why I made the comments I made. one thing is to understand where or what the objective is. what is your goal? thats what I would like to know. understand this, we are to seek Godly counsel, you're asking counsel of God knows who or what on an internet site. Everything I do I ask God first, and I've learned not to barter with him. I asked goldiegirl where she stood in the Lord because if she doesn't serve God I sure as heck don't want what she has to offer. My response to her being caustic, well it may have been but in all fairness we are very limited here. You asked about meditation, so I ask again, what is your goal?

Hi Willy,

Well, I did some research on the definition of meditation from the dictionary :

Websters College- Continued or extended thought, contemplation, devout religious contemplation or spiritual introspection.

Oxford Eng. Dict.- A discourse expressing considered thoughts on a subject.

Oxford Advanced Dict.- The practice of thinking deeply in silence, especially for religious reasons or in order to make your mind calm.

- Serious thoughts on a particular subject that somebody writes or speaks.

It is clear to me that your initial perspective on the matter was related to the Eastern practices of meditation....guess assuming..well, you know what they say about that...also from CHRISTIANITY TODAY :

In the Bible, meditation always means pondering God's revealed truths and reflecting on how they pertain to us. David revels in the richness of God's law throughout Psalm 119. He encourages us to meditate on it: "I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word" (Ps. 119:15-16). Since all Scripture is God-breathed (2 Tim. 3:16), all of it is profitable for meditation in the biblical sense.

This is what I was referring to...and excuse me sir, you stated asking the "counsel of God know who on the internet"..

I am by nature a very kind, generous and loving woman, It seems to me that it may have been wise to ask questions about my goals, motives, etc. before you put your rebuttal here on this post...WHAT IS MY GOAL, well fist of all, did you read the headline of the thread, I was looking for information on a subject that interests me, that's my right to do so...

I can see that, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, that you responded because I said I was Christian, I guess you were trying to "save me" from something you believe to be devilish!

And you said that everything you ask for you ask of God, and that you don't barter with Him?What does that have to do with anything stated here? perhaps you had a personal experience, frankly I really don't understand what your point is

You must be thinking out loud there, cause that has NOTHING to do with the intent of this post...you are a Christian, so I charge you to consider the concept in the Bible where it speaks about BEING ALL THINGS TO ALL MEN... so when you communicate here, and yes, it is limited for sure, consider these words... ...

You've kinda peeved me off, familiarity breeds contempt...you seem to THINK YOU UNDERSTAND what's going on here, well I'll sum it up for you..my goal...was to learn if there was a group of people interested in focusing on, contemplating, thinking deeply on things that we have a common interest in..

I personally will stick to prayer with an understanding that I will not move God any faster or for a certain value. Trust him. I meditate on God's word. Clearing your mind opens it to demonic oppression and you don't want to go there. What does God's word say in Philippians 4:8? We are to be spiritual beings, not operating in the flesh or soulish realm. Ask God first if it's OK to meditate or put out positive vibes. We are to be content in our situation. The old testament tells us not to incorporate pagan ways in our worship of God, our worship of God is a daily walk with God. Practice His presence. Develop a relationship with the person of the Holy Spirit, He is God and He has been sent to us to walk with. He will teach you truth.

One other thing, when praying do you pray...Thy will be done?

God bless

Gosh Willy, after I read this post I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND, let me ask you a question, There are THOUSANDS OF THY WILL BE DONE'S in the Bible...they are called promises, they are things that God wants us to claim,...like health, prosperity...

WHY WOULD I HAVE TO ASK GOD IF IT IS OK TO MEDITATE OR PUT OUT POSITIVE VIBES...HE WANT USE TO MEDITATE (see definitions in prevoius post) AND HE IS NOTHING BUT GOOD VIBES (in a matter of speaking, HE IS GOOD ALWAYS)

WH

I said I wasn't going to make another comment on another post that would make my 1000th posting meaningless; but I was going to wait until the dinars RV, but I want to make this statement to wealthhound. You're right to ask for a meditation group, there is power in groups and I will be the first to say that I am in. Now let me education you on meditation, although I'm no expert in this matter, but I have studied and practice what I'm about to preach. For the Ministers of the Word of God and those that are in tune to the Metaphysical aspect of life, when we pray we ask God for something and to hear his answer we meditate, it's just that simple.

God works in mysterious ways, so our answer to our prayer may be in our doing, our faith, in our loving, in our caring for others and not necessarily as a conversation with you during you meditation. Remember he knows what you want before you ask, isn't this, is what Jesus said about praying, and on meditation, its been around for ever and a day. In Joshua, we read where God told him to meditate oft. and if God said it, it must have a great significance in our daily lives. Just as the Master told us in Ecclesiastes to put remembrances up to remind us of his goodness and glory, yes putting up testimonies, that too have its significance. Everything we need to make our lives better and more prosperous is in the Holy Bible, if we would only heed, so please, want you give it a try! Amen

Peace! In the Middle East.

Shick

AMEN SHICK

• Upvote 2

Wealth, I think Willy's overall message was to just be careful...He really is a good man and just tries to do the Lords work. I don't even think he was saying all meditation was bad..........group hug to you all!

Well, it sure didn't sound that way to me...all he needed to do was ask a few questions before assuming....

• Upvote 3

Hi Willy,

Well, I did some research on the definition of meditation from the dictionary :

Websters College- Continued or extended thought, contemplation, devout religious contemplation or spiritual introspection.

Oxford Eng. Dict.- A discourse expressing considered thoughts on a subject.

Oxford Advanced Dict.- The practice of thinking deeply in silence, especially for religious reasons or in order to make your mind calm.

- Serious thoughts on a particular subject that somebody writes or speaks.

It is clear to me that your initial perspective on the matter was related to the Eastern practices of meditation....guess assuming..well, you know what they say about that...also from CHRISTIANITY TODAY :

In the Bible, meditation always means pondering God's revealed truths and reflecting on how they pertain to us. David revels in the richness of God's law throughout Psalm 119. He encourages us to meditate on it: "I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word" (Ps. 119:15-16). Since all Scripture is God-breathed (2 Tim. 3:16), all of it is profitable for meditation in the biblical sense.

This is what I was referring to...and excuse me sir, you stated asking the "counsel of God know who on the internet"..

I am by nature a very kind, generous and loving woman, It seems to me that it may have been wise to ask questions about my goals, motives, etc. before you put your rebuttal here on this post...WHAT IS MY GOAL, well fist of all, did you read the headline of the thread, I was looking for information on a subject that interests me, that's my right to do so...

I can see that, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, that you responded because I said I was Christian, I guess you were trying to "save me" from something you believe to be devilish!

And you said that everything you ask for you ask of God, and that you don't barter with Him?What does that have to do with anything stated here? perhaps you had a personal experience, frankly I really don't understand what your point is

You must be thinking out loud there, cause that has NOTHING to do with the intent of this post...you are a Christian, so I charge you to consider the concept in the Bible where it speaks about BEING ALL THINGS TO ALL MEN... so when you communicate here, and yes, it is limited for sure, consider these words... ...

You've kinda peeved me off, familiarity breeds contempt...you seem to THINK YOU UNDERSTAND what's going on here, well I'll sum it up for you..my goal...was to learn if there was a group of people interested in focusing on, contemplating, thinking deeply on things that we have a common interest in..

Gosh Willy, after I read this post I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND, let me ask you a question, There are THOUSANDS OF THY WILL BE DONE'S in the Bible...they are called promises, they are things that God wants us to claim,...like health, prosperity...

WHY WOULD I HAVE TO ASK GOD IF IT IS OK TO MEDITATE OR PUT OUT POSITIVE VIBES...HE WANT USE TO MEDITATE (see definitions in prevoius post) AND HE IS NOTHING BUT GOOD VIBES (in a matter of speaking, HE IS GOOD ALWAYS)

WH

AMEN SHICK

Forgive me for offending you. We are to leave our gift at the altar to make ammends. Next is look at the definition of meditation in a strongs concordance. see if webster or oxford lines up with that. I don't have one with me to do it now. we sometimes lose things due to words not having a word for word translation. my seeking God for what to ask or do is something I personally live by, practicing his presence. Not bartering is something I learned the hard way, I had a hunting accident and the Holy Spirit told me on the way to the stand not to do this and it almost killed me. I have also learned that I can inquire of God and then continue to ask around until I hear what I want to hear. Please don't misunderstand, I'm not accusing you of doing that.

God bless and good luck with your endeavor.

• Upvote 2

Forgive me for offending you. We are to leave our gift at the altar to make ammends. Next is look at the definition of meditation in a strongs concordance. see if webster or oxford lines up with that. I don't have one with me to do it now. we sometimes lose things due to words not having a word for word translation. my seeking God for what to ask or do is something I personally live by, practicing his presence. Not bartering is something I learned the hard way, I had a hunting accident and the Holy Spirit told me on the way to the stand not to do this and it almost killed me. I have also learned that I can inquire of God and then continue to ask around until I hear what I want to hear. Please don't misunderstand, I'm not accusing you of doing that.

God bless and good luck with your endeavor.

willy1,

Thank you for your reply, I do not have a concordance near me at the moment either, I will look it up tomorrow.

No hard feelings ..God Bless you as well.

This is something I have been doing for about 25 yrs. What I have learned in this time is that it is possible to reach a state of total emptyness within ones mind. I read that someone said they cant sit still for 5 mins. then dont just sit still for 2 mins. .This is a start. My meditation is done privately as well as in groups. It is done with music and with silence.What i try to do is think of a word or phrase or writing and focus on that thing for a short period of time. Soon that short period becomes longer. Another thing I try to do is to listen to my body for it will tell me when the meditation is over.

There has been alot of debate in this thread about the aspects of meditation and Christianity.......For me Meditation is Listening and Prayer is Talking to whomever or what ever one believes in. And finally my goal in meditating is to become a man with true humility and one with healthy shame. I hope this helps someone out there...And thanks for the post...Chris..

This is something I have been doing for about 25 yrs. What I have learned in this time is that it is possible to reach a state of total emptyness within ones mind. I read that someone said they cant sit still for 5 mins. then dont just sit still for 2 mins. .This is a start. My meditation is done privately as well as in groups. It is done with music and with silence.What i try to do is think of a word or phrase or writing and focus on that thing for a short period of time. Soon that short period becomes longer. Another thing I try to do is to listen to my body for it will tell me when the meditation is over.

There has been alot of debate in this thread about the aspects of meditation and Christianity.......For me Meditation is Listening and Prayer is Talking to whomever or what ever one believes in. And finally my goal in meditating is to become a man with true humility and one with healthy shame. I hope this helps someone out there...And thanks for the post...Chris..

Installer,

Thank you for your insight.

What you describe as the way you meditate is what I was thinking.

If I may ask you a question, how does one "empty their mind", I'm trying to understand this principle.

Thanks for your insight and time.

Wealthhound

There is a wonderful meditation group that is international in scope. It takes one into thoughtless awareness easily and is the only really effective, results oriented technique I have experienced. I have done quite a few extensively including TM, esoteric Buddhism and Tibetan Buddhism. You can google Sahaja yoga meditation. Where are you in Colorado? Here is a link for the center in Denver: http://www.yogacolorado.org/sy.php

I truly believe you will feel the difference from a mental awareness to the union with the Divine.

Hi LAVENDER,

I live in the Littleton area. It's nice to see a fellow Coloradan here at DV.

I see that you are a platinum member, it would be great to meet yo, believingly very soon!

I will take a peek at the link that you provided.

Not sure that I understand "thoughtless awareness", as I said I will look at your link.

Wher approximately do you live in Colorado?

Wealthhound

willy1,

Thank you for your reply, I do not have a concordance near me at the moment either, I will look it up tomorrow.

No hard feelings ..God Bless you as well.

Willy1,

These verses are mostly paraphrased

I looked it up in the concordance and here is what I found :

Psalm 5:1

Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my meditation (1901 = musing)

Psalm 19:14

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation( 1902= solemn, sound device) of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength and redeemer

Psalm 104:36

My meditation (7879= prayer,talking,communication,babbling) of Him shall be sweet: I will be glad in the Lord

Psalm 119:97 O how I love thy law! it is my meditation (7881= prayer) all the day

Those are a few that I looked up! KJV is what I usually use.

Wealthhound

Hi Wealthhound,

I'd love to meet you, but I live in California. Sahaja Meditation is established with centers in 160 countries, so I just googled Sahaja Meditation Colorado for you. Meditation and self reflection can allow one to look objectively at our selves and allow the divine power of love to transform us from within. It is not a mental thing but by the grace of God our chakras are cleared, enlivened and our connection to the Divine permanently established in a very tangible way.

I'm a results oriented person and I can see it in myself and others with this practice.

Hi Wealthhound,

I'd love to meet you, but I live in California. Sahaja Meditation is established with centers in 160 countries, so I just googled Sahaja Meditation Colorado for you. Meditation and self reflection can allow one to look objectively at our selves and allow the divine power of love to transform us from within. It is not a mental thing but by the grace of God our chakras are cleared, enlivened and our connection to the Divine permanently established in a very tangible way.

I'm a results oriented person and I can see it in myself and others with this practice.

Ha!

I wrongly assumed you were in Colo. because of the link!!!

I did go to the link you provided last night, I found it very interesting..

Wow !!! *big sigh* ... I have mentioned in a couple of posts about a convention of people in Detroit undertaking to keep a certain number of people meditating at all times during the convention, in order to reduce the numbers of crimes, fires, accidents, arrests. They had figure on what those rates usually are, told the mayor before doing this that he would notice a difference in his city, and proceeded to do exactly that. It was a hard core example of how meditation, especially meditation in numbers, can work what some would call miracles.

When I read the original post in this thread I thought ... "Hey, I am a TM graduate and have been using meditation for years, perhaps this is something I could become part of. I was not interested in heading up the group, but thought being part of it would be good.

Now, one of the reason I have tred lightly on the forum about meditation, is that there are so many pro-active, hard core, prosyletizing Christians members on the forum that if I were to post anything touting meditation or suggesting it would be a good idea in regards to the RV or the forum, or the site ... well, I thought there would be one heck of an outpouring of viituperative verbage putting meditation down. Why, some people are so into seeing God as the only worthwhile purpose in live, and everything else is the work of the devil, that they might even see meditation as something Satanic. And I was right, it seems.

I do not bash the Christian ethic. But I do take exception to people who think their way is the only way, and their beliefs are right where all else is wrong. An the original poster did not ask for input from people who did not want to agree in any way with meditation per se ... he was looking to find someone well enough versed to begin a meditation group. And yet, we have two pages now of back and forth between those who do and those who don't ... if you know what I mean.

And that I find just too much like part of a past I left behind when I left the convent over 40 years ago. Yup, I was a postulant, a novice, working on becoming a "bride of Christ" as the term still goes. I left when I could not find the answers there. Long story and won't go into it now ... or ever, actually. But I was told to look around and find what was right for me. It certainly was not the Catholic Church.

In the intervening years I have sampled many "truths" and the closest I have come is the peace I find in meditation, and the continuation of that peace when the meditation is over. 20 minutes, That is how long it takes for a typical TM meditation. Eyes closed and no way to look at a clock until it is over and eyes are open. Over twenty years and it has always been within a minute either way of twenty minutes.

So, hoping I lost a lot of you part way through this ... to the origial poster ... if you find anyone to head up a meditation group, count me in.

:)

smee2

It seems to me that Christian or not meditation can be a good thing. I prefer to read my scriptures with classical music playing in the background & that or quiet during prayer, which sometimes can last a long time. I consider my prayers a dialogue rather than a monologue, and spend time waiting for answers/inspiration for as long as necessary... That quiet time to me is a form of meditation. Then there are other times during the day that I need to take a breather, short breaks that could probably also be considered meditation. I think it's sad that when people seek peace it's considered a bad thing... No wonder we are so high-strung!

I don't know much about tm, other than what I read about many years ago as a teen. It wasn't for me then, nor now, but I don't feel I have a right to bash or preach to some one who chooses this path for their life.

It's not for me, or you, to judge others... That job belongs to our Heavenly Father & His Beloved Son. You don't want to be judged, don't pass judgement.

As far as a meditation group, hey, I'm in. I have no experience to lead it but will be happy to participate as I see fit & am able. I'm firm in my testimony & standing with God & tho I fear evil & avoid his influence, I don't see this as allowing him into my heart, mind or soul.

Phew, off my soapbox...

KK

Wow !!! *big sigh* ... I have mentioned in a couple of posts about a convention of people in Detroit undertaking to keep a certain number of people meditating at all times during the convention, in order to reduce the numbers of crimes, fires, accidents, arrests. They had figure on what those rates usually are, told the mayor before doing this that he would notice a difference in his city, and proceeded to do exactly that. It was a hard core example of how meditation, especially meditation in numbers, can work what some would call miracles.

When I read the original post in this thread I thought ... "Hey, I am a TM graduate and have been using meditation for years, perhaps this is something I could become part of. I was not interested in heading up the group, but thought being part of it would be good.

Now, one of the reason I have tred lightly on the forum about meditation, is that there are so many pro-active, hard core, prosyletizing Christians members on the forum that if I were to post anything touting meditation or suggesting it would be a good idea in regards to the RV or the forum, or the site ... well, I thought there would be one heck of an outpouring of viituperative verbage putting meditation down. Why, some people are so into seeing God as the only worthwhile purpose in live, and everything else is the work of the devil, that they might even see meditation as something Satanic. And I was right, it seems.

I do not bash the Christian ethic. But I do take exception to people who think their way is the only way, and their beliefs are right where all else is wrong. An the original poster did not ask for input from people who did not want to agree in any way with meditation per se ... he was looking to find someone well enough versed to begin a meditation group. And yet, we have two pages now of back and forth between those who do and those who don't ... if you know what I mean.

And that I find just too much like part of a past I left behind when I left the convent over 40 years ago. Yup, I was a postulant, a novice, working on becoming a "bride of Christ" as the term still goes. I left when I could not find the answers there. Long story and won't go into it now ... or ever, actually. But I was told to look around and find what was right for me. It certainly was not the Catholic Church.

In the intervening years I have sampled many "truths" and the closest I have come is the peace I find in meditation, and the continuation of that peace when the meditation is over. 20 minutes, That is how long it takes for a typical TM meditation. Eyes closed and no way to look at a clock until it is over and eyes are open. Over twenty years and it has always been within a minute either way of twenty minutes.

So, hoping I lost a lot of you part way through this ... to the origial poster ... if you find anyone to head up a meditation group, count me in.

:)

smee2

Hello SMEE2,

First may I say, happy to have you visit this thread..and, I totally enjoy your posts ( i know that sentiment is shared by many here at DV)..This is WEALTHHOUND, I am the one that started this can of..oh! I mean thread Ha!Ha!

This subject has certainly been a HUGE learning experience for me, as I have never practised meditation in my own life, other than in the sense of prayer, Several people with great knowledge in this field responded and what I have learned is that there are different perceptions of what meditation is, or means to people.Perhaps you caught thedrift" if you read some of the above postings...anyway,

my original thought, after I mentioned in on another thread, was just to consider the possibility of a group coming together, with a common desire (like you mentioned) and sending out positive energy...

well, I am involved in focusing my attention related to the area of WEALTH (if you choose, look at the thread DO YOU HAVE A MILLIONAIRE MIND in off topic section) and working to head up a group (along with several others) to study that subject and strengthen that area...

I'm at a crossroad now, as well as a small dilema as far as how to proceed. I MUST focus on my original commitment, as i explained above, and so, that's where we are. I think it would be wonderful to do this as a group, just have focused, uninterrupted time to believe for our collective prosperity..that's why the title of this thread...

I challenge you, maybe you would consider starting a thread to where just a bunch of people could meditate, pray, believe together ..however the individual would choose, like they have done here with group prayer, individually, do your thing at the same time as others in the group...???

I know the power of BELIEVING together....that was the original intent...thoughts welcome,

Regards,

Wealthhound

I would advise caution when dealing with Meditation. Transcendental Meditation includes using "mantras", or chants to achieve a meditative state.

Mantras were originally conceived in the Vedas. Most mantras follow the written pattern of two line "shlokas" although they are often found in single line or even single word form.

The most basic mantra is Om, which in Hinduism is known as the "pranava mantra," the source of all mantras. The Hindu philosophy behind this is the idea of nama-rupa (mind-body), which supposes that all things, ideas or entities in existence, within the phenomenological cosmos, have name and form of some sort. The most basic name and form is the primordial vibration of Om, as it is the first manifested nama-rupa of Brahman, the unmanifest reality/unreality. Essentially, before existence and beyond existence is only One reality, Brahma, and the first manifestation of Brahma in existence is Om. For this reason, Om is considered to be the most fundamental and powerful mantra, and thus is prefixed and suffixed to all Hindu prayers. While some mantras may invoke individual Gods or principles, the most fundamental mantras, like 'Om,' the 'Shanti Mantra,' the 'Gayatri Mantra' and others all ultimately focus on the One reality.

While your heart may be in the right place, the act in itself could possibly draw attention to demonic forces who may mistake you for someone else who has prayed to them in the past. Remember our God is a Jealous God!

I also sugget reading 1 Corinthians 10.

-

• Upvote 2

I would advise caution when dealing with Meditation. Transcendental Meditation includes using "mantras", or chants to achieve a meditative state.

While your heart may be in the right place, the act in itself could possibly draw attention to demonic forces who may mistake you for someone else who has prayed to them in the past. Remember our God is a Jealous God!

-

Amen! I believe there was an old testament sacrifice for the sin of ignorance wasn't there? Ya'll be careful. Can I suggest a great book, I will anyways. Watchman Nee "The Latent Power of the Soul" It is fitting for this investment too. Rev 18:13

Blessings to All

-

Markinsa,

Thanks for your input, if you read above in my previous posts, THIS TM stuff WAS NOT AT ALL WHAT I WAS ORIGINALLY THINKING..I STATED THAT SEVERAL TIMES.I do appreciate your looking out for me, as a am a Christian, know a thing or two about the demonic site, in fact I probably know more about it than most Christians, just cause I have learned to read the Bible for myself...but I must say that I am touched by you guys that have warned me about the TM ..again, that never even entered my mind, if you look up some of the definitions I post earlier from the concordance, well, THAT's what my original thought was...

So, thank you as well as the others here, again......

I WILL NO LONGER POST ON THIS THREAD..Quite frankly, I have much greater things going on fantastic learning for myself(all GODLT BTW)...This crapola here has taken enough of my precious time and effort...Mostly I feel that it has consisted of defending myself....

Perhaps one day, I will have the privelege of meeting many of you, it would clearly be wonderful to talk about the THINGS OF GOD.....I rest my case.